PDA

View Full Version : Just a quick question

TxRunner2003
04-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Hey I am new to the site but I'm just wondering what made you get into the business of Lawn Care & Landscaping? Right now I just mow my yard its pretty big but I had to pretty much take it from where it looks terrible to trying to make it look great & so far it looks pretty good. Ever since I got my lawn looking good I've been trying to find ways to make it better & from there ive been loving every minute of it.

ArkansasLawns
04-29-2006, 10:12 AM
My story is similar to how yours starts. Loved to make the lawn look good. The wife came home one day talking about how her boss was asking about our yard and who takes care of it. Talked to her boss and started doing the bosses yard on the weekends. Then I got the bright idea to run an add in the hometown news paper. Only one response but now I had two yards on Sat. Word of mouth from the second customer, now with more lawns. Working Weds and Thurs evenings after work. Then I got out-sized from my regular employment. Sad day and Happy day. Now I am who I am with no time to enjoy my own lawn. Ha! Ha!

topsites
04-29-2006, 11:46 PM
Because I couldn't stand working with or for someone else in a multi-employee corporation where backstabbing and office politics and job insecurity and the general bs of it all just got so intolerable I couldn't take it anymore. Because I've always had a short fuse for what most folks consider 'normal' behaviour, I've always been of the opinion that at least half of all humans are beyond doing wrong by mistake as I might tolerate, but to the point I think most people do wrong on purpose, most often in order to get ahead but also not caring if at my cost or what come of it, I had to get away from it.

As for why the lawn care aspect, I knew little to nothing of running a business and I've tried since my early 20's my luck on various ventures and the part that frustrated me the most is everything I tried never worked! Now I had worked for 2 years saving money while I delivered pizza and then later washing dishes at a busy restaurant and I had enough money but I also really didn't want to try and fail at something again, it was like now or never... Because I was getting older and the older you are, the harder it gets at least once you're in your 30's, to me this was my last chance at getting away from it all because I could just tell, hit late 30's without getting it right, I might as well be a slave the rest of my life.

I even told myself if this fails, I'll never try again but before I got too far down the road I bought an old but nice bmw so just in case things went belly-up, at least I'd have something to show for it all (nowadays I have two of them lol).

I have a friend who had been in this business for many years, and I could see it worked so he helped me out and this was all I needed... I still made most of the mistakes we all make, despite his help some things are unavoidable while not all his help was quite as helpful as he might have thought, I even found one or two things I thought were the product of mischief on his mind, but friends will be friends LOL.

That's about it, now in my 5th year and so far, better than ever.

p.s.: I will say this much: I found lawnsite about this time last year, and I dare say in this year's time the help from this forum has literally doubled my experience, it has been that helpful that I feel almost equal to someone who's been doing this on their own for 8-10 years, in terms of what I learned in short time, this last year the advances I made are plain tremendous and I did want to take a minute to thank everybody.

mcwlandscaping
04-29-2006, 11:50 PM
dad let me mow the lawn for the first time when i was 10, ive loved landscaping and lawn care ever since,

Killswitch
04-29-2006, 11:52 PM
I started working for Davey Tree in 1983. I blame them.

lol

I also had a lawn route when I was 13/14 as well.

Maybe Im unlike a lot of you but I dont like lawn care. Its just what I do.

PROCUT1
04-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Mowing my lawn as a kid. Neighbor asked me to mow theres.....then another neighbor.......and another......and another.......a few hundred neighbors later i realized i was stuck with it

TxRunner2003
04-30-2006, 12:17 AM
awesome stories at first when my parents told me to mow the yard when i was younger i hated it, but since about i turned 17 or 18 i just kinda started liking it more & more. Im not into the business yet but its something im really looking into being only 22 i have a few things to learn about landscaping.