PDA

View Full Version : new trailers electric brakes not working...Help!

SouthernYankee
04-29-2006, 10:44 AM
My new trailers electric brakes arent working and I cant figure out if its the brake controller(its new and installed by my dealership) or if there is something wrong with my trailers brakes.

The brake lights work fine and the brake controller lights up and seems to be working. So should I go to the trailer dealership or the chevy dealership? Any tips to figure out this problem would be appricated it.thanks

FearThisDeere
04-29-2006, 11:03 AM
If you can, find someone else that has a trailer with brakes. Hook your truck up to it. If the trailer brakes work, then it is your trailer (back to the trailer dealership). If they don't work, it is your truck or brake controller (back to the Chevy dealership). I bet it is the trailer brake controller, but it could also be that the trailer dealership never hooked up the trailer brakes. Have you followed the wires back to the brakes on the trailer them-self? That might be were you want to look first.

oldrustycars
04-29-2006, 07:31 PM
did you read the manual for the brake controller? theres a control for the amount of braking going to the trailer. get a 12v test light, have someone actuate the controller while you use the test light at the plug on back of your truck. it sould get brighter or dimmer as the controller is adjusted. if not, or no light at the test light, its the controller (please make sure you have the test light properly grounded. check a turn signal with it to make sure its working).
if you have power at the plug, hook up the wiring to the trailer. do you have power after the plug? (probably the blue wire). how about getting under the trailer and checking right at the brakes. also, you should hear the brake magnets clanking as you operate the brakes.
if you cant get it working, PM me. we'll get 'er figured out.