PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal problem

swn
05-14-2001, 11:26 PM
I have a problem with my turn signals on a 96 Dodge. I have checked the bulbs and the fuse. No problem with either. Neither one of the turn signals work. What can I check now?

05-15-2001, 05:49 PM
Hi Steve - I'm going to take a guess here and say check the flasher unit as well.

If possible, a bit more info would be helpful: "Neither one of the turn signals work" - is this referring to left turn & right turn, or front & rear signals? Did they quit working all at once, or were they acting up before they stopped working altogether? Is there a trailer plug wired up to your truck, and were you pulling a trailer when the signals quit? Are the brake lights working properly, and what about the 4-ways? Have any modifications been made to the wiring such as plow lights, extra set of signal lights up on a headache rack, etc?

Not trying to be a smart*** here, just that the more detailed the description of the problem, the more likely someone will be able to find a solution - it's difficult diagnosing a problem when you can't see the actual truck!

swn
05-15-2001, 11:22 PM
Thanks for replying, 75. I guess a little more info. would be helpful, sorry about that. This did happen all at once, they were not acting up at all before. It is the front and rear, left and right turn signals. I do have a trailer plug hooked up and no I was not pulling the trailer when they went out. Everything else (brake lights, back up lights, flashers) are working. And no modifications have been made. Thanks again.

05-16-2001, 05:59 PM
Hmmmmmmm...........I was hoping this would be a simple fix!

Thanks for the additional info - that helps narrow things down a little. The reason I asked whether you were pulling a trailer is, I have seen where wiring problems on the trailer caused problems in the truck's electrical system. Check the fuse with a continuity tester as well - I was driven :dizzy: once by a fuse that looked OK but wasn't!

Everything I have is o-l-d and not Chrysler, so I'm in "guesswork" mode here, but I would say that if the flasher unit (I believe there should be 2, 1 for the 4-way circuit and 1 for the turn signals) bulbs & fuse(s) are all OK, the problem may be in the turn signal switch itself or the wiring leading from the switch out to the firewall. Unfortunately, I don't know how much surgery is required to check/replace the signal switch on a '96 Dodge truck - can anyone out there help with this?

swn
05-16-2001, 11:59 PM
Thank you very much for your help, 75. I will check the fuse again in the morning. I am thinking that it is probably in the turn signal itself. Thanks again.