PDA

View Full Version : Break-Away Systems

stuffdeer
04-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Ok, I hear and have seen the Break away systmes, But WHAT THE HECK does it do. I'm completely lost.

I know, Probably stupid, But you have to ask quesrtions to get answers

Dirty Water
04-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Break away systems lock the brakes on the trailer if the hitch gets disconneted.

stuffdeer
04-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Litterally Locks them up, So the car behind you hits it?

oldrustycars
04-29-2006, 07:19 PM
the break away system consist of a switch and a battery. the switch mounts on the trailer tongue, and the battery is wired with the Positive wire going to one wire on the switch, the other wire splices into the hot side of the trailer brakes. if the trailer becomes disconnected, the cable on the switch (which the other end connects to the tow vehicle) pulls a plug out of the switch, allowing contact to be made from the battery to the trailer brakes, ideally applying the trailer brakes and bringing the trailer to a halt. no, it does NOT lock up the brakes, and under the best conditions works only sorta ok. the battery is usually a 12 v. drycell, and must be replaced frequently. the switch will also take a beating, ive seen them loaded with crud after only 6 months. on a surge brake system a lever is pulled against the master cylinder, and a ratchet system keeps it applied.
in illinois if you get caught with an inop or missing breakaway and you'll sit on the side of the road until it gets fixed, or a wrecker shows up.
furthermore, you should NEVER need this. a proper hitch, and safety chains connected correctly should never allow a trailer to get away.
and if you're concerned about the car behind you hitting the trailer, would you rather it get into oncoming traffic?

lawnmaniac883
04-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Basically if the trailer is somehow disconnected and the chains snap as well then atleast the trailer will stop before something even worse than what must have just happened occurs.

oldrustycars
04-29-2006, 10:49 PM
ive pulled trailers for 30 years now. semi, goosenecks, tag along equipment trailers, campers, you name it, ive towed it. new trailers, junk trailers. loaded correctly and incorrectly, ball and pintle, and never once have i had a trailer come loose from the hitch, let alone had the chains break. so just do it correctly...correct class of hitch, correct ball size, lights and brakes, maintain your stuff, and you wont have a problem. but you still need a breakaway system.

PROCUT1
04-29-2006, 10:56 PM
ive pulled trailers for 30 years now. semi, goosenecks, tag along equipment trailers, campers, you name it, ive towed it. new trailers, junk trailers. loaded correctly and incorrectly, ball and pintle, and never once have i had a trailer come loose from the hitch, let alone had the chains break. so just do it correctly...correct class of hitch, correct ball size, lights and brakes, maintain your stuff, and you wont have a problem. but you still need a breakaway system.

I agree with your post. If everything is in order, it just wont happen, especially with lawnmowers that weigh nothing compared to other loads.

Wasent there another post with a guy that just got his first trailer and already lost it twice?

4LLAWNSINC
04-30-2006, 04:18 PM
It Also Only Keeps The Brakes Activated For 15-20 Minutes I Hear. Glad I Have Never Found Out.

oldrustycars
04-30-2006, 04:39 PM
It Also Only Keeps The Brakes Activated For 15-20 Minutes I Hear. Glad I Have Never Found Out.
good point. ive seen guys who pull the breakaway to use as a parking brake. bad idea.