PDA

View Full Version : what do you do?

lawnwizards
04-29-2006, 05:28 PM
when you get a call for an estimate and when you drive by and its an awful undoable yard? had one like that today.. straight up and down in the front. didn't even stop, just kept driving.. what do you all do. do you stop anyway price it high, keep driving like it did? thanks for the replies.

randy

David Haggerty
04-29-2006, 05:54 PM
I won't stop and talk 'cause the might talk me into mowing it.
But I do give them a call back later from the safety of my couch to let them down easy.

Fantasy Lawns
04-29-2006, 06:04 PM
You bid it 3x the normal rate

bobbygedd
04-29-2006, 06:12 PM
remember, some people don't care. some of my best accounts live in the crappiest looking properties. they just want it cut. i can usually skip the wacking + blowing, and they don't even notice.

KCLandscape
04-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Agreed Bobby. Charge at least double.

deason
04-29-2006, 06:39 PM
We got a call the other day from a lady that wanted bushhogging and some areas bermuda seeding. When I arrived I couldnt believe my eyes. She had about 4 acres and 3 miles of barrbed wire fence run everywhere. old cars, implements, piles of junk, old hay.... you name it, it was out there and you could actually hear it rusting down. I told my partner it looked like the set for Sanford & Son, the movie.

Anyway, I explained to her (in a nice way) that we were not the company for her. I told her that we could not accomplish the results she wanted without her spending a small fortune. Actually, she would have been better off purchasing a herd of goats, it would be a lot cheaper.

She was adament about the bermuda seeding and still wanted a price. I said "Okay, if you insist" and grabbed the measuring wheel from the toolbox. I did some measurements and calculations and gave her a price of $1650 for a portion of the property. She literaly dropped the papers she had in her hand. Then she said " thats a little more than I wanted to spend". Then I said, "thank you, have a nice day".

sheshovel
04-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Well if you get a call for an estimate..regardless whether or not the yard is doable..you should respond in some way ..otherwise they think you are a no show..and then you get them saying"Oh yea we called that guy for an estimate and he never showed or returned our call."So you need to at least call them back and say "I am very sorry but my schedule is full." or whatever but you do need to respond back in some way.

LawnBrother
04-29-2006, 06:46 PM
I bid it real high unless it is so bad that I won't touch it. Either way is fine with me. If they'll pay my outrageous price, so be it. If I won't touch it, I call them on the phone and politely tell them to piss off.

Evergreenpros
04-29-2006, 06:47 PM
I always stop and if they're there tell them why I can't do it. If they aren't there I just leave the estimate form under the mat and tell them why I can't do it. It's best to pre-qualify them on the phone regarding hills, gate size, turf size, etc

Before I switched to annual agreements only, I rarely did lawns without underground sprinklers and I used to pre-qualify them on the phone. Now since I get paid whether there's grass there or not I prefer them without sprinklers. You can tailor your pre-qualifications to target exactly the type of accounts you want.

bobbygedd
04-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Agreed Bobby. Charge at least double.
why charge double? u can do half the work, and charge standard rates, and still please this customer

dKoester
04-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Bid high. Not good if you just drive by and not say anything. Not good for your company. If you do this once you'll do it again. Word of mouth does travel fast.

1MajorTom
04-29-2006, 08:55 PM
remember, some people don't care. some of my best accounts live in the crappiest looking properties. they just want it cut. i can usually skip the wacking + blowing, and they don't even notice.
he didn't say crappiest, he said undoable, which he explained as being straight up and down. You mean to tell me you would take that yard for your normal $28 fee... i don't think so. Just call them back and say 'I took a look at your property and it will require more time than I have, sorry I can't be of service."