PDA

View Full Version : Question about pine needles

TOOMBSTONE
04-29-2006, 07:52 PM
How much do you charge to lay pine needles? How many sqft does one bale cover? Also, which is better multch or pine needles. I would be putting this around alot of flowers, will the pine needles kill the flowers. I have only done multch in the past, but my grandmother would like pine needles. Thanks for the input.

JJLandscapes
04-29-2006, 08:35 PM
i see alot of people talking about pine needles

what do you do with it lay it out like mulch? ive never seen or heard of any landscaper use it or ever seen it at a house on purpose

TOOMBSTONE
04-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Yes, alot of people use it around here, but I really don't know much about it. I thank you can get it at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They spread it out like you would straw.

North Ga
04-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Pine straw is very popular down here in the South.Depending on the week we avg spreading 100-500 bales a week.Its very simple to spread.The needles are prickly so wearing gloves might be a good idea.We charge $6.50 per bale installed.The needles dosent do any harm to plants.They are very good to use around acid plants like Azaleas and Rhodendrons.

North Ga
04-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Toomb,do a search for Pinestraw and you will find out a lot more info.

TOOMBSTONE
04-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the info North Ga. By chance how many sqft will one bale cover.

TOOMBSTONE
04-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Also, where do you get it, and how much per bale before being installed.

North Ga
04-29-2006, 09:34 PM
We get it from a guy about 50 miles away for $2.85 per bale.Our local Home depot has it for $3.49 but the quality is terrible.Has alot of sticks in it.A bale does about 45-70 Sq feet depending on how thick you spread it.If we are doing a new bed without anything then 1 bale does about 45 sq feet,If we are covering up straw from last season then you can get 70 sq feet per bale.Make sense?

JJLandscapes
04-29-2006, 09:36 PM
yea they 100% dont sell them at home depot must be a down south thing or everywhere but NY thing

Pecker
04-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Here in Louisiana, we use it alot. It is excellent for mulch around evergreens like azaleas because it keeps the pH lowered, which they love, and it also greatly reduces weeds due to the pH. I will usually just blow the Oak leaves off of my straw and rake some up, but people with few Pines have to buy it from landscape suppliers. All in all, my opinion is it is the best choice for natural week control.

Duck Dodger
04-30-2006, 03:38 AM
You should do a search I live in the Boro though and don't see it that often. If I were to do it here I would charge $10 or more but I will try to sell mulch since it is better for plants. If you deal with it alot you can get it $2 or less per bail from southern ga or SC plus freight charge. Good luck again don't be shy about using the search feature you will find much more info than posting such a redundant question.

Absolute Weed C
04-30-2006, 04:11 AM
The last month alone i took a 24ft gooseneck stacked 6 feet high to dump everyday with pine needles lol. I know the tine rakes on the front of a deck pick them up wonderfully