PDA

View Full Version : Did that customer really just say that to me?

PROCUT1
04-29-2006, 09:16 PM
1. "The lawn didnt need cutting that day." Usually said to dispute a cut on a bill way after its past due.

2. " I was home, noone mowed that day" Again to dispute a cut on a past due bill.

3. " I could mow it myself cheaper" Why in hell should they think it would be cheaper to have a service mow?

4. " Your guys are in and out in 5 minutes" My next question is if there is a problem with the service....NO.....But how can I charge $30 for 5 minutes work.

5. " Ill throw you a 10 spot to hit mine quick" When the neighbor comes over with a foot tall yard, thinking you should jump all over it.

6. " My husband worked for 30 years and never made $45 an hour" Customers reply when quoted on a labor rate. Like overhead is free. They dont complain at an auto mechanic.

7. " You only pay these Mexicans $40 a day, you have that covered after your first lawn" If they only had a clue what an employee actually costs. Mexican or not around here you wont find someone less than $10 an hour.

8. " Your not the cheapest" Oops sorry......Didnt realize I was supposed to be.

9. " You're not allowed to charge tax, only businesses can" This one explains itself

10. " Can I get a couple of your Mexicans on a Saturday to do some landscape work I wanna do" This one really cracks me up, they dont want to pay me to do the job, but Im supposed to arrange for my employees to freelance it"

11. " I had the money when I told you to do the job, but then some important bills came in. You're gonna have to wait till next month"

12. " Come and give me an estimate and if youre cheaper, you get the job" Usually said right after we're told we're competing against a weekend warrior lawn guy"

13. " JOE SAID" This phrase is the worst. Usually told to my foreman when he goes to collect the check when the job is done.

Example: 5 yard mulch job. " JOE said you were gonna cut that tree down, and seed over there, and remove that monster bush, and dig me a trench, and install a new patio, pave my driveway, and re-roof my garage. IM NOT PAYING $350 FOR JUST MULCH.

14. " I MUST TALK TO JOE" I have 2 knowlegable experienced people in the office and yet I always get the urgent message that I HAVE to call back. Usually to answer a question that I have to ask the office girls for the answer anyway.

DISCLAIMER: This post is for humor purposes only. Im not complaining or looking for answers to these statements. Nor am I asking for advice.

Feel free to add yours.:)

lawnmaniac883
04-29-2006, 09:30 PM
LOL, the JOE SAID is a classic!

CrewCutEnterprises
04-29-2006, 10:02 PM
9. " You're not allowed to charge tax, only businesses can" This one explains itself

I love this one even though we dont charge sales tax, but since it explains itself. Very nice collection of excuses.

stumper1620
04-29-2006, 10:10 PM
LOL, the JOE SAID is a classic!
That would never stand a chance if it was a "Bobby said" :hammerhead: :laugh: :laugh: :hammerhead:

mcwlandscaping
04-29-2006, 10:14 PM
very good collection of excuses, ive heard most of them! "ill throw you a 10 on the spot to hit mine quick" ahahhahahah

lawnspecialties
04-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Sorry Pro, can I add one?

"Hey, you put that fertilizer down a week ago. When is the lawn gonna' turn greener?"

stumper1620
04-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Sorry Pro, can I add one?

"Hey, you put that fertilizer down a week ago. When is the lawn gonna' turn greener?"
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

topsites
04-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Most of mine don't make any of those comments to me, I weed them out long before it comes to that anymore. I get way too angry over this, some thing like 'only businesses can charge tax' would make me want to rip their head off and shove it down their throat, after I take a dump down it. From time to time one comment might slip and especially sometimes with a new customer, but that's instant ignore and the thickest wall of defense pops up immediately and I never heard it, right? Cool, now then...

I get the odd funny guy from time to time, but as soon as some cute saying like that comes out their mouth, I'm on my way out of there and fast. All that stuff is just trouble waiting to happen, a sign of someone who has no respect for me... If they are looking for a lawnboy they can hire to play around with, they can call someone else.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect anyone to bow down before me and kiss my tail either. All I ask is to be treated with the same respect I treat them with, which is basically on an equal level to the extent of yes sir and yes ma'am and very nicely for the most part. As far as I know all my customers are like this, at least most of the time anyway.

DLCS
04-29-2006, 10:42 PM
heres one for ya. Had a dummy e-mail me this one.

Could you not mow our lawn for two weeks. We are fertilizing and still cleaning out the flower beds.

Which really translates to "we are broke so we will mow ourselves till we get some money". They are history, good luck to my competition.

dcondon
04-29-2006, 11:05 PM
LMFAO:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cool2:

PROCUT1
04-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Another good one

WE DIDNT THINK YOU GUYS WERE GONNA SHOW UP THIS YEAR SO WE GOT SOMEONE ELSE. or

WHY ARE YOU GUYS MOWING.....I DIDNT HIRE YOU THIS YEAR.....

Hmm......dont call and ask or anything.........

LETS SEE DID YOU MISS?

1. The initial brochure that states policies and in huge letters that the service is RECURRING EVERY YEAR UNLESS YOU CALL TO CANCEL.

2. The initial conversation that the estimator makes it clear that the service is RECURRING EVERY YEAR UNLESS YOU CALL TO CANCEL.

3. When we take the credit card information, the part on the authorization form that states the service is RECURRING EVERY YEAR UNLESS YOU CALL TO CANCEL.

4. If its an invoiced client, the last 2 lawn and the fall cleanup invoices state the service is RECURRING EVERY YEAR UNLESS YOU CALL TO CANCEL.

5. The Spring brochure and welcome spring letter that states the service is RECURRING EVERY YEAR UNLESS YOU CALL TO CANCEL.

Keep something in mind about this. We sold our mowing business last year and we currently only service ONE NEIGHBORHOOD for lawn mowing. We maintain close to 200 out of 600 homes in the neighborhood. There is at least 2 but usually 3 or 4 trucks in this neighborhood everyday, 1 mowing and others for other services.

Lux Lawn
04-30-2006, 12:50 PM
They come up with all kinds of good ones,don't they?

topsites
04-30-2006, 12:59 PM

Yup, there's the problem, customers don't hire me. In my case, they retain my services and that's how I put it to them: Will you be retaining my services for your property this year? Yup like a lawyer.

About the only one I can see going around without much control of the owner is 'JOE SAID' which illustrates one fine point:
- The customer is TWICE as likely to try and get over on an employee of yours versus the owner. The very same customer who wouldn't dare try a slick rick trick on you (the owner), may not think twice of doing it to your employee... But if they do try one on you, they'll almost certainly try it on your employee(s).

LawnGuy73
04-30-2006, 01:05 PM
LOL, Thats pretty good.

tcls83
04-30-2006, 04:43 PM
A person has asked me once to take their household trash away.

Some old people have asked me to clean their awnings and paint their windows.

Someone asked me to install their dog's invisible electric fence.

Who do they think I am? I am not one of those fly by night "handyman services" looking for a quick buck.

And I hate it when people actually ask me if they could borrow my truck for a day to move stuff. Yeah right.

4LLAWNSINC
04-30-2006, 04:57 PM
I had a guy in a house worth around a million dollars ( high end for around here)tell me he couldn't afford to have his lawn mowed for fifty dollars every week. He said he wanted it mowed every two weeks. I told him if he couldn't afford to have his lawn cut, he probably should have bought a smaller house! I also said I wouldn't cut it every 2 weeks and to find someone else to do his yard.

These kind of people amaze me. He hired me a year ago after moving to town and having 2 high school kids do his lawn the first year. They rarely trimmed, and the cut was terrible. No chemicals on the lawn either ( I mowed the lawn across the street also)

I took over the lawn, Powerraked aerated and overseeded when I did the spring clean up. I set up a company to do chemicals there ( I don't do chemicals) and by june the lawn was as thick and green as it ever was. By september the lawn was back to its old self because the tight a** quit watering and cancelled his lawn chemicals.

I am sure a lot of you have ran into this problem. I don't mean to sound like a repeat of what I am sure has been talked about a lot before, but I needed to vent. thanks

befnme
04-30-2006, 05:17 PM
i got one for ya " BUT YOU SAID YOU WERE GOING TO ?????? ALSO ." thats when i break out the signed contract and say " nope , i didnt say that " and you signed it saying that i didnt say that .

DLCS
04-30-2006, 06:22 PM
I got a couple others. Had a lady that thought cause I mowed her yard that I was her handy man too.

She calls one winter and says "will you knock the iclces off my gutters cause my back door will not open".

She calls one time and says, "You need to get over here and fix my leaking faucet and my toilet".

Had a lady that would always come running outside while I was mowing and tell me to "Put a bag on that mower" my response was always it will cost you extra. So she would get pissed and say forget it. Dumped that wacko too.

BCF
04-30-2006, 06:41 PM
While I don't mow, and hardly any repeat customers, I had this one lady who I was repairing her fence, and I was parked halfway up her driveway. Well, she asked me since the trash truck usually backs into her drive to get her trash, since I was in the way could I wheel her 4 trashcans 75' to the end of her drive. "I'll just pull my truck up." She asked me 4 more times before she let me move my truck.:dizzy: And I always get people wanting extras, or the best is if I could take some money off the bill if they helped!:nono:

PROCUT1
04-30-2006, 07:04 PM
How about giving an estimate to cut some trees and then having the customer ask you to just leave a chainsaw next time you mow and they'll do it

CrewCutEnterprises
04-30-2006, 09:40 PM
I had a guy in a house worth around a million dollars ( high end for around here)tell me he couldn't afford to have his lawn mowed for fifty dollars every week. He said he wanted it mowed every two weeks. I told him if he couldn't afford to have his lawn cut, he probably should have bought a smaller house! I also said I wouldn't cut it every 2 weeks and to find someone else to do his yard.

These kind of people amaze me. He hired me a year ago after moving to town and having 2 high school kids do his lawn the first year. They rarely trimmed, and the cut was terrible. No chemicals on the lawn either ( I mowed the lawn across the street also)

I took over the lawn, Powerraked aerated and overseeded when I did the spring clean up. I set up a company to do chemicals there ( I don't do chemicals) and by june the lawn was as thick and green as it ever was. By september the lawn was back to its old self because the tight a** quit watering and cancelled his lawn chemicals.

I am sure a lot of you have ran into this problem. I don't mean to sound like a repeat of what I am sure has been talked about a lot before, but I needed to vent. thanks

I have a customer who live in a 1.2 million dollar house and when we signed him up I gave him a hell of a deal of $30.00 a week, now I tell him im raising his rate to $45.00 a week and he flips out, says he cant afford that every week, how about every other week, i tell him that would be $80.00 bi weekly. He was amazed. I finally settled for $45.00 weekly, he was also upset as my spring clean up price from 2 years ago was $600.00 and now 2 years later it was $1200.00. I tried to tell him more things need to be done because he let it go.

Sometimes people just dont know a thing

tcls83
04-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Some people wanted to have brush cleared from their woods when I came to mow, I said no, then they tell me "Well, can't you just mow it over?" And the brush is pretty thick, some of the brush trunks are 1" in diameter. And there's tons of rocks and ruts in there. How did this idea enter their mind?

One time, for two days it was raining heavily out, and I didn't cut on neither of those days. One of my older clients called me and asked me if I was still in business because I didn't show up at her house to cut for the last two days.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
04-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Here's one: We are going to be on vacation from x to x so the lawn will not need cutting. The lawn doesn't stop growing while they are away. Atleast none of my clients lawns ever have LOL.

Here's another: us: "The price will be $35 + tax" Them: "Can we just make it $36". Us: "Folks, we do not make money on sales tax we are just the middleman for the state".

The list could go on.

PROCUT1
05-01-2006, 12:09 AM
How about " I watched them mowing the entire time today.....The lawn didn't need it so Im not paying for it."

Evergreenpros
05-01-2006, 08:03 AM
Here's one: We are going to be on vacation from x to x so the lawn will not need cutting. The lawn doesn't stop growing while they are away. Atleast none of my clients lawns ever have LOL.

Here's another: us: "The price will be $35 + tax" Them: "Can we just make it $36". Us: "Folks, we do not make money on sales tax we are just the middleman for the state".

The list could go on.

I think middlemen usually get paid for there services. We're just unpaid slave tax collectors doing the state's dirty work.

Business collects all the taxes and the government hands it out. Not hard to see which one has the better job.

AintNoFun
05-01-2006, 08:47 AM
ahhhh what about the priceless "if you give me a really good deal i'll get you all the neighbors"

Remsen1
05-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I have one, every week when I am done cutting he comes out and I when I leave I say "I'll see you next wednesday", then next wednesday comes around and like clockwork, he calls my cell and asks "can you cut my lawn today?" and my reply is always "yes, you're on my wednesday route and, I'll be there in a little while." he does this every cotton picking week !!! LOL!

gqnine44
05-01-2006, 02:44 PM

Had a lawyer tell me this once. :hammerhead: Idiot...When I shot him down his response was "Well, I am a lawyer!" This just goes to show lawyers dont know it all.

PROCUT1
05-01-2006, 04:24 PM
ahhhh what about the priceless "if you give me a really good deal i'll get you all the neighbors"

Thats a good one, except for one problem. He tells all the neighbors what a really good deal he got and they expect it even cheaper because you're already working on the street

SOMM
05-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Too Funny, Pro ! Our thoughts exactly !!

It's always a hoot when the next door neighbors wanna pay real-cheap-cash-prices by asking: "so ....you do a little moonlighting on the side, perhaps (flashing their $10-15)" - we love to reply that we moonlight as independent claims associates for all the local homeowners insurance companies to reduce the use of the unlicensed/uninsured, which negate most homeowners claims coverage.

or immediately after the Z' sculpt-scapes their lawn: " doesn't really look like that much effort has been expended, and you haven't even worked up a sweat ! " to "THAT DON"T LOOK LIKE ENOUGH WORK !?!?!" ROTFLOL !!!!!!!

youngbuck
05-01-2006, 04:59 PM
while your still mowing. what about all these weeds around the rocks! lady i still have to trim, after i mow

PROCUT1
05-02-2006, 11:42 PM
doink......Come on , this should be a hot topic here....

Ramairfreak98ss
05-03-2006, 01:49 PM
haha, well how about for snow removal lol

indian lady, speak notta much engelish ok.. i TRY and fit her in on my busiest of hours in a development to snowblow her driveway of 18" of snow ok.

I tell her $35, which is way generous being i was undercharging that year AND had other customers lined up other places, not really extra time to fart around.

She says well ill give you $25. i said no i said the driveways and sidewalks are $35. She said well i dont need the sidewalk done, i said fine, its a township ordinance to keep your walks clean of debris and snow in the winter. She said ok, Well $20 then just the driveway, i said no $35, i have other driveways to do i cant argue right now. She paid the $35 but didnt call or ask for services the next year lol. Her driveway stayed plowed in and next day the goofy husband was hand shoveling for hours. retarts.

Ramairfreak98ss
05-03-2006, 01:50 PM
while your still mowing. what about all these weeds around the rocks! lady i still have to trim, after i mow

lol, look at all the grass all over the sidewalks!

why is there so much clumps of grass!!

hell give me time to get the blower out for christ sakes.

Precision
05-03-2006, 11:03 PM
i got one for ya " BUT YOU SAID YOU WERE GOING TO ?????? ALSO ." thats when i break out the signed contract and say " nope , i didnt say that " and you signed it saying that i didnt say that .

yeah I had a lady tell me that I applied the mulch too thin. I was supposed to apply it between 6 and 8" deep.

Got out the contract. averaging 2 inches. and here is my signature and yours.

Oh sure, but you told me at least 6 inches.

I kept my next comment to myself and just smiled and walked away with the check.

JBird
05-04-2006, 02:48 AM
Something tells me this one's gonna be a duuzzy....
Got a call three days ago on my cell at 8pm, (if I find out who gave it to her I'm gonna shoot them, it's only given to commercial directors, maint. staff and QAM's Quality Assur. Mngrs.), She starts off with, Hello My name is Betty and you've been recommended to me. I am 70 yrs. old and I'm really mad at my grass guy. He blows grass everywhere, he knocked a hole in my (cheap plastic) downspout, he hit the (economy really cheap plastic $1.59 @ lowes) windowsill cover and he hit my vinyl corner molding and says he didn't do it. The guy is charging me $55 and he's only here 15 minutes. That big mower really flies through my yard. And I just can't afford it!
I responded by saying, "you can't afford what, the damage to your property?" (Duh) NO! she say's, the $55, will you do it cheaper? He's only here 15 mins. After I pointed the damage out and asked him to repair it he agreed he would.
I politely said, Mam, my mower is fast also but I will have to look at it to give you an estimate, I'll be out tomorrow. She said, "what time" (OOOHH GOD!) to which I responded, oh just depends on how the day goes.
I get out to this 22,000 sq ft property that is a clean cut with little trimming and agree that the price is right to which she responds "Oh my, I just can't afford that". I thanked her and turned to leave when she said "where are you going?" I said, I'm sorry we didn't agree on price I have other jobs I must attend to. She asked, your not going to negotiate? I said no mam, I don't do that. She said, OK, the jobs yours and when you come the first time could you plant this flower for me on the corner of the house. And, can you get rid of these piss ants here on the side of the house. Oh yea, let me show you this garden I want cleaned out. I told her, Let me get you a price worked up on all this additional work and I'll get back to you in a bit. I said I think the FIRST thing you should do is take care of these grubs before they ruin your entire lawn. She says ok I'll call Tr** Green slams the door and 5 minutes later says Tr** Green will do it for 265 will you do it cheaper?
I siad no but, I'll give you a better job for the same price. She laughed and said OK, you got me there.
I finished cutting and she came out and said I won't bother you any more you just come do what you did today and take care of what I need done and send me the bill. I told her I would take care of her but EVERYTHING would be proposed in contract form prior to me doing anything, that way I get paid. She laughed and said boy you been around ain't you? We parted with a good client relationship and even though "she can't afford that she bought everything I threw at her.

SOMM
05-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Sounds like a saavy, cost-cutting business owner or exec manager new customer of yours JBird.
In the " 80 / 20 Rule " where 80% of your profit comes from 20% of the accounts and 20% of your profit comes from 80% of the accounts most eleigible to be dropped, you may have found your best account yet in the longrun.

Liquidfast
05-06-2006, 04:29 PM
How about " I watched them mowing the entire time today.....The lawn didn't need it so Im not paying for it."

HahHAHHAHAHhHAHAHAHA....I have had this one twice so far this year. Well, kinda.

Two older (nice) people watched me whack snap their ENTIRE lawn (front and back) and then came out as we were packing to go and asked who we were.

I was given two LARGE residential homes from the competition who no longer mows (prefers snow removal over grass cutting) so now I manage the accounts. Anyway, both rich folks sat and watched THEN asked who I was and why I was there......"Um, I am a great Christian person and thought you needed a nicer lawn to be closer to God".

Agape
04-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Another good one

WE DIDNT THINK YOU GUYS WERE GONNA SHOW UP THIS YEAR SO WE GOT SOMEONE ELSE. or

Hmm......dont call and ask or anything.........

LETS SEE DID YOU MISS?

1. The initial brochure that states policies and in huge letters that the service is RECURRING EVERY YEAR UNLESS YOU CALL TO CANCEL.

2. The initial conversation that the estimator makes it clear that the service is RECURRING EVERY YEAR UNLESS YOU CALL TO CANCEL.

3. When we take the credit card information, the part on the authorization form that states the service is RECURRING EVERY YEAR UNLESS YOU CALL TO CANCEL.

4. If its an invoiced client, the last 2 lawn and the fall cleanup invoices state the service is RECURRING EVERY YEAR UNLESS YOU CALL TO CANCEL.

5. The Spring brochure and welcome spring letter that states the service is RECURRING EVERY YEAR UNLESS YOU CALL TO CANCEL.

Keep something in mind about this. We sold our mowing business last year and we currently only service ONE NEIGHBORHOOD for lawn mowing. We maintain close to 200 out of 600 homes in the neighborhood. There is at least 2 but usually 3 or 4 trucks in this neighborhood everyday, 1 mowing and others for other services.

I make sure to have alternate services in the winter so I can charge in the winter (with out scrutiny) and I leave check lists every time i'm there so they don't think I disappeared

jtricer1973
04-16-2010, 12:41 PM
I agree about the mechanic. They'll pay 50 bucks an hour labor to the auto mechanic or the appliance repairman but you are supposed to work for chump change. Some people just have a hard time separating a professional lawn/landscaping service from little Billy down the street with his daddy's mower. Well then, call little Billy. I am new so I try not to turn down work but I am quickly becoming tired of these types of cheap skates. I am gonna quit haggling on price. They wouldn't haggle with the mechanic at the Chevy place!

Hawg City Lawns
04-16-2010, 01:48 PM
A person has asked me once to take their household trash away.

i had that happen last friday the person asked if i had a trash can i replied "i sure do" thinking it was a coke can or something the person pointed over at their house and said "that would be really nice if you would take that and throw it away with your grass" it was 3 bags of household garbage in torn bags i told them "im not your trash guy" and walked off that really steamed me

Cboy7
04-16-2010, 03:06 PM
I cant read any more of this thread! MAKES ME TOO ANGRY!!!!!

93Chevy
04-16-2010, 03:13 PM
I have one older guy that always tells me how to do my job.

"You don't have to make the lawn look like a baseball field, will it be cheaper if you just cut it?"

"You don't need to cover the grass seed with anything, it's better if it's not covered."

"I want the lawn bagged so I don't have any thatch."

He's an idiot, but we have a good relationship regardless.

jrush
04-16-2010, 10:34 PM
I hate it when they ask you to do a job, you give a price, they agree, and then come out either during, or as I'm finishing and say "oh, I thought you were going to do this also", or "I thought that was included in your price" How would it be included in my price this is the first I'm hearing about it?! Also had a cust wanted 60 Arbervitis planted, he marked where he wanted each one with orange paint, and ran a line down the property line, we put every hole where he wanted, I even asked 4 times before we backfilled are you sure everything is where you want it? "YES looks great". He calls 2 days later saying he had the property surveyed and needs the trees moved! Why would you do that AFTER they are planted? He says "they only need to be moved 6 inches forward so it's not a big deal" (translation: I don't want to pay you to move them) Yes, actually moving 60 Arbervitis that are 5ft tall is a big deal. He was even so annoying to stand there the entire day and watch us and ask 1,000 questions, and double check every tree from every angle, so I know every hole was exactly where he marked. He said we must have moved the line....REALLY?! Did we move the orange f@*k!n paint to?! :hammerhead:

topsites
04-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Gosh this is an old thread...

Today...
NOBODY ever says those things to me, and I mean nobody.
That took years.

Lots of tears and sweat, anger and cursing, and maybe a bit of blood too.

But the good news is, it does get better in time.

joel29m
04-16-2010, 11:11 PM
1. "The lawn didnt need cutting that day." Usually said to dispute a cut on a bill way after its past due.

i used to get that alot from the cheapos, but they riding in escalades and bmw's

mowerknower
04-16-2010, 11:21 PM
very good collection of excuses, ive heard most of them! "ill throw you a 10 on the spot to hit mine quick" ahahhahahah

I will start off by saying I am a service manager at a repair shop. So that reminds me of when a customer asked me to come by and fix his mower after hours for 10$ an hour and some beer.
First off, I make a heck of a lot more than 10 bucks and beer and hour. Second off, after working a 12 hour day I really just wanna go home and have a beer, forget about the 10 extra bucks.

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
04-16-2010, 11:54 PM
I cant read any more of this thread! MAKES ME TOO ANGRY!!!!!

i agree. im all worked up now. lol i hate the friggin public. ive learned to keep my mouth shut, but thats why my dashboard is all bent in from punching it when i drive away! haha

i got a nice new account on the golf course today, go to cut it after giving the estimate, and he comes out after and tells me i did a great job cutting, but theres all kinds of leaves all over the lawn and in the garden beds. I told him that was gonna be extra (there were alot in the beds) and he went off on me saying that the "other" guy he had would blow all the leaves for him every mow. I told him i would do it this once but not everytime i mow. we settled it at that and after he came out and gave me $10 extra bucks and a beer. It was worth it to keep the account i guess......I hope. People really want you to spend like 2 hours each time at there house like they are your only customer