PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions fast (impact wrench and winch)

Howie's Lawn Care
04-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey guys,
I bought an electric impact wrench and I ended up not being able to jack my mower up high enough. The impact wrench was $70.00 and is 120 volt. It seems pretty nice. It claims up to 180 ft/lbs of torque. I was talking to the guys at TSC and they recommended a one ton chain hoist or the 1500lb electric winch. The winch was $82.00, and I went ahead and bought it. Will it work if I mount the winch on a beam on the ceiling of my garage and use it like a hoist for my ZTR. I want to be able to change the blades fast. I know its a decent amount of money to spend on changing blades, but I think its convenience will pay off and I could always mount it on my trailer later on. Also, what do you guys think about the stats and prices I paid for the equipment? Is this a decent way to change blades? Thanks for your help and advice.

-Nick Howard

lawnmaniac883
04-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Beam? Wooden 2x6 type beam? If you reinforce it then sure.

Howie's Lawn Care
04-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Beam? Wooden 2x6 type beam? If you reinforce it then sure.
I'm talking about a real thick support beam going across the top of the garage. I'm wondering if a winch is alright or if I should be using a hoist.

brudot
04-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Some of the cheaper electric winches ($82 is on the cheaper side) are only good for pulling loads. They cannot be used for lifting because they don't have a way of controlling lowering anything that you would lift. I.E. they are free spooling when you let the cable out.

treemeat
04-29-2006, 10:00 PM
how about a floor jack?

FIRESCOOBY
04-29-2006, 10:07 PM
How about pulling your mower up on the ramp of your trailer with one side hanging off slightly? It works for me in a pinch.

I also use automotive ramps at home. I get enough to clear my 18volt Ridgid impact wrench.

Howie's Lawn Care
04-29-2006, 10:13 PM
How about pulling your mower up on the ramp of your trailer with one side hanging off slightly? It works for me in a pinch.

I also use automotive ramps at home. I get enough to clear my 18volt Ridgid impact wrench.

Thsnks for the idea. I'll try that.

ed2hess
04-29-2006, 11:10 PM

Yes just pull the front end up on the trailer gates and use a simple socket wrench...one on top and one on bottom. And if you got spindles that don't have bolts with nuts ...use simple blade block(2/4 with clamp) and socket.

Howie's Lawn Care
04-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Yes just pull the front end up on the trailer gates and use a simple socket wrench...one on top and one on bottom. And if you got spindles that don't have bolts with nuts ...use simple blade block(2/4 with clamp) and socket.
I don't understand the simple blade block part.

mr mow
04-30-2006, 04:24 AM
dont do it, buy your self a cordless impact. i bought a ridgid it works great. i damn near cut my thumb off using wrenches with good protective gloves on(we sharpen the blades daily).

cbelawn
04-30-2006, 07:45 AM
Cheep winch mounted on "Steel" Beam it will lift my mowers fine. If i go to high the fuel will run out the gas cap on my ztr. I also have air compresser so i use a air impact to cahnge blades. Lifting mower also makes cleaning easier. I woul dmake sure you have a strong enough beam.

outlaw1960
04-30-2006, 09:33 AM
have you looked at any of the jungle jacks? very safe and portable.

dad
04-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Try a jungle jack. you will be happy. It's safe to. I've used one for 5 years. Fast and easy. In the spring I take it with me so I can clean the deck on location if the need arises.
The jack just works great!!!!!

CutInEdge Lawn Care
04-30-2006, 11:03 AM
We use the jungle jack. Dont know why would want anything else. Also use it as the day goes on for the fixed deck 48" to change the spacers on mowing height.

ALarsh
04-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Or better yet, sell your mower and by a Toro with the Z-Stand. My Toro lifts itself up.:drinkup:

lawnmaniac883
04-30-2006, 11:33 AM
I would buy the chain hoist myself. That is what my dealer uses and it makes me jealous lol.

ed2hess
04-30-2006, 02:37 PM
I don't understand the simple blade block part.
To block the blades you take a 4" long piece of 2x4 and a 6" clamp and clamp the wood to the housing to block the blade from turning when you use the wrenches. Keep in mind Scag and Snapper has a bolt that goes all the way thru the spindle so you don't need a block to block the blade. You simply have one wrench on top and one on bottom. On the Wright it has a bolt that screws in from the bottom only. It is actually very very easy. I don't have a problem with using impact except it is just another thing to get lost or taken from truck. We change all blades on the job so we don't ever unload when we get to park site. All oil changes and filters are done at job sites....I am mechanic.

Roger
04-30-2006, 03:56 PM
How about a hi-lift jack:

http://www.hi-lift.com/products/jacks.htm

When lifted, then put a jack stand underneath for safety.

Dashunde
04-30-2006, 04:14 PM
With my wb, I just sort of push down on the grips while inching forward, in about 3 seconds the front of the mower is hanging over the front of my trailer. It hanges over just far enough to get the electic impact on all three bolts. It works great for quick blade changes and the mower stays on the trailer the whole time.

JClawncare
04-30-2006, 06:31 PM
I use car ramps from advance auto store and I use my trailer's drop gate to change the blades on my ztr. A five gallon bucket works great on my WB to change the blades on it. But if you do winch up the front of a ztr don't forget to buy big enough jack stands. The trailer ramp is the cheapest and easiest since you probably already have it.