PDA

View Full Version : Round VS Sruare Trim Line

Green-Cuts
04-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey

Does anyone use the square trim line? If so how does it work and what is the benifits over the round if there are any.

Thanks
BJ

lawnspecialties
04-29-2006, 09:21 PM
It's all I use. It cuts much better and you don't have to run as many rpm's to do the job.

lawnmaniac883
04-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Just bought a 3lb spool of square line and am going to give it to a friend who likes the junk. Just moves too much air and bends the blades over instead of cutting them. When I go to my dealer next I'm gonna buy some twisted line and see how I like it.

mike lane lawn care
04-29-2006, 09:24 PM
i use echo crossfire it has 5 edges, the advantage is it gives a cleaner cut over the round line, leaving the grass healthier. plus it's stronger.

topsites
04-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Just bought a 3lb spool of square line and am going to give it to a friend who likes the junk. Just moves too much air and bends the blades over instead of cutting them. When I go to my dealer next I'm gonna buy some twisted line and see how I like it.

LOL I thought twisted line was that crap my weedeater likes to do when it gets all stuck up inside the head with line ahaha !!!

But for everything else I use 080 round, the dark green stuff. Last year I found spools on sale for like 8 dollars... I got a little bit stupid before I realized how long a spool lasts (the black ones, like a tiny barrel) and bought 3 while I'm still using the first spool I bought 4 years ago... LoL I likely got 080 green round stuff until I die... At least it's the smaller spools and not the really big ones hehe

As for the cutting and rpm issue, I find the lighter 080 builds more rpms while thinner line also slices better so double bonus: more rpms plus a better slicing line. It does wear a bit faster but because it's thinner, you get more on the head so it evens out. As far as buying it, line is sold by weight so thinner line gives you more length while with thicker line you get more durability, it again evens out.

Runner
05-01-2006, 09:43 AM
The 080 round DOES give a cleaner cut...no question. I use the 095 round myself, because I get a clean cut and it weighs in on wearing a bit better. As far as the square line go or the crossfire types, I don't care what ANYbody says. I have tried them, used them, did round again, used them again, and still end up with round. Bottom line, THIS is what gives the best overall cut and wear. The hex stuff is junk and doaesn't hold an adeg. The same goes for the square. you find yourself cutting with more of the midle of the blade than you do the tip. Same goes for these (filament) lines. They all flare out, too and don't get a clean cut.

rfed32
05-01-2006, 04:12 PM
i use what ever is on sale....or what i have laying in the back of the truck...right now i have round line in....but have a 3lber or 5edge stuff....but i dont do a lot of trimin so to me its all the same....when u have a small bussiness the cheaper the better IN SOME CASSES(DEFF NOT MOST LOL)

bigdave36
05-01-2006, 08:32 PM
We use nothing but Pulverizer.095... It is made by Shakespere and you can find it at(Sorry Guys) WalMart.
We have tried many other kinds and we like it the best by far. It is three edge and trims very well
JMO...Dave

grassmasterdawn
05-01-2006, 08:58 PM
I'll be back to using .095 round as soon as I finish this dern spool of Echo Crossfire! Which at the rate I'm going through it will probably be in about 2 or 3 days. Heck, the round is cheaper than dirt at Big Lots, so I'm just going to load up on it!:dancing:

StBalor
05-01-2006, 09:02 PM
I also use echo crossfire string. I think it is better than the round and last longer. It seems it is more pliable than the round.

Green-Cuts
05-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Hey
I was in lows today looking at trim line and say som trim line by husqvarna that was Titanium type of trim line. It seems like it would be nice stuff. Has anyone ever tried it and how does it work??

Thanks
BJ

The Lawn Boy Pro
05-01-2006, 10:47 PM
J-Thomas 5LB spool .095 square right now, but i think im gonna go back to round. If you think about it, the square rounds off anyhow....

MuleCutter
05-02-2006, 11:24 PM
i like Oregons "Gatorline"... it comes in the square or the round. this line also has a form of titanium in the middle called aramid. IT LASTS!!!!.... but as far as square vs. round...

round line gives a cleaner cut.... it's perfect for manicuring around sidewalks and whatnot.... the square line is a lot more aggressive. this is better for cutting thick grass. the con to the square is that if you turn your trimmer the wrong way by accident... it will pull you in to the ground more than the round will and scalp worse than the round.

CutNLawns
05-03-2006, 01:31 AM
I'm just going to throw this out there but think about what part of the line is actually doing the "cutting". Because of the rotational motion the very tip or end of the line is all that is "cutting". As it goes around the tip of the line is always the first to contact the blade and removes it before the length of line ever has a chance to do any "cutting" therefore there is physically no real advantage to "edged" line. JMO but edged lines are just marketing gimmicks and have no true advantage. Not saying they do not work or they are junk just that there really can't be a real advantage over round line. I have seen several trimmer heads though where people run square line and do wear out the eyes in the heads from fedding the square line.

Anyway just food for thought!