PDA

View Full Version : Pro Slide/Velke/Sulky Which One?

T. Wheeler
04-29-2006, 10:02 PM
I am currently in the market for a pro slide, velke, or sulky. Just wondering what does every one else recommend using. I have heard lots of got stuff on pro slide but, I have also heard alot about the Trimmer Trap Bull Rider. What our the advantages of the pro slide over a one wheeled velke and the Bull Rider.

Also, Do y'all get off your pro slides when your on concrete or moving from grass to sidewalk to grass and, if you do what does it do to your skideplate lifetime. Does the auto retract have any problems or get in the way when using. I am kinda leaning towards a pro slide due to reviews on it.

Any additional info and or pics on any of them will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Trevor

mcwlandscaping
04-29-2006, 10:08 PM
my velke X2 is great, paid $200 for it at the time i bought my eXmark and the dealer installed it for me. It rides smooth on all angles of operation and has a large platform which is comfortable to ride

i can get pics of mine on my mower tomarrow if you would like

T. Wheeler
04-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Sure that would be great if you don't mind doing so. Also do you have any dislikes about it?

treemeat
04-29-2006, 10:21 PM
proslides are not intended to be used on concrete of asphalt--just the places where you might want to go faster than walking speed when transporting back and forth and such. Too much stuff (moving parts) to worry about IMO with the retract and stuff, and who knows how much they get for a new slide.

I agree with mcw that the x2 is great, but it is all I ever had. In fact I just bought another one. The x2 helps with striping and the pneumatic tires have some shock-absorbing qualities. Stick some slime in tires and forget it . . .
just don't forget to grease the wheel bearings

blakeg314
04-29-2006, 10:23 PM
proslide leaves a great stripe but i belive you cant go on pavement with it.. whatever you do just dont get a 1 wheel sulky

HOOLIE
04-29-2006, 10:29 PM
I like the single-wheel Velke...great on a hydro wb. I've been doing this so long now I no longer get all geeked-up over stripes

mcwlandscaping
04-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Sure that would be great if you don't mind doing so. Also do you have any dislikes about it?
no real dislike, you just need to get used to it. like making a full 180 degree turn in high gear (4th or 5th) without flying off and also knowing to watch out for things to not get caught on the velke wheels. like treemeat said, helps with striping, you can also put a stripe kit off the back of the velke if you wanted to, to really enhance the stripe. i would deffinatly recomend the X2 after all my experiences with it, ill deffinatly get some pics of the velke tomarrow for you

jtkplc
04-29-2006, 10:46 PM
ProSlide gets my vote, you can search my name, 'jtkplc', and 'proslide' for what I have to say about them.

T. Wheeler
04-29-2006, 11:02 PM
Yeah its a 1998 Snapper Pro Hydro 48" 14hp Kohler i'll be using it on if I get one.
Have y'all with the X2's rode or tested a pro slide and is there any advantages of one over the other? What I see is pro slide strips better maybe smoother but, X2 is more versiltile and less money in wear parts (like pro slide's skide plate)

mcwlandscaping
04-30-2006, 01:22 PM
never tried a proslide but i end up driving on pavement quite a bit to transport or when turning the mower around, ide end up spending more time getting on and off the proslide than actually mowing

Dashunde
04-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Velky X2 here... it works great.
Be sure to get the right length of arm though, test fit it at your dealer.

Rhett
04-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Proslide you have to get off in reverse. I go thru two plates a season at 30 plus bucks. The return spings wear and break leaving the thing worthless until you can get parts. Takes me about a week to get them. I have two plates left and then all of my walk behinds will have wheeled sulkies. Actually my favorite so far is the exmark stand on.

J&R Landscaping
04-30-2006, 05:10 PM
I just bought a single wheel velke the earlier last week and I relly like it! I have demoed the proslides and they are nice. Very well built but they have a lot of parts, parts that can brake. My dealer is selling the proslides for $479.00 if purchased seperatley or $409.00 if purchased with a mower. I've called around to a few dealers and the prices were pretty much the same.

T. Wheeler
04-30-2006, 05:32 PM
I didn't know they ran that high in price the X2s are only like $329.00 or so correct? Probally not a one wheeled heard ba stuff about ruts they leave.

mkwl
04-30-2006, 05:32 PM
I have a Velke Pro 1 (single wheel), and I LOVE it! It really helps speed up the mowing! It is built like crazy, and totally out of STEEL...quality of construction is very evident! I'd highly recommend a Velke Pro 1!!!:weightlifter:

T. Wheeler
04-30-2006, 05:35 PM
I have a Velke Pro 1 (single wheel), and I LOVE it! It really helps speed up the mowing! It is built like crazy, and totally out of STEEL...quality of construction is very evident! I'd highly recommend a Velke Pro 1!!!:weightlifter:
Does it leave any ruts? Or any dislikes? for 1 wheeled

mcwlandscaping
04-30-2006, 05:39 PM
took a few pics of the velke today after mowin...i took the chain and hook off of my handle bars because when im not using the velke i just take it off and the when the chain and hook was on there, it would hit me in the ba**s and i didn't like that too much!! youll like the velke x2

T. Wheeler
04-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Great thanks for the pictures, When you take it off is it a quick release pin or a bolt. Looks like a quick release. Pro slides to expensive there off the list. Just now Bull Rider or Velke X2.

mkwl
04-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Does it leave any ruts? Or any dislikes? for 1 wheeled

No, no dislikes. I prefer the one wheel Velke over the two wheel (demoed both), but some people may like the two wheel better. It doesen't leave any ruts, I (and my clients) don't mind the third line from the tire, infact, some even like the way the lawn looks better with the three lines.:waving:

mcwlandscaping
04-30-2006, 05:49 PM
just a cotter pin and it comes right out. what i don't like about the bullrider is that when you get to the end of your row and since you have hydros you don't have to mow two header strips because you have true zero turn capability, since that thing is fixed on the back of the deck and you swing around with it, it requires you to mow those header strips or else youll hit the object you are near, its like a trailer that doesnt pivot, it kicks out behind the tow vehicle.

jimmbo407
04-30-2006, 06:04 PM
I have the velke X2 I like it alot. I bought it cause of price. I got it for $275.00 on Ebay. Would have been a little less but I bought from someone in my state and had to pay sale tax. I use it with my 52" Ferris WB hydro. I would like to know if I can put it on my 36" WB Exmark Belt drive. I am a big guy at 250LBS. That may be a little much for it. I have two mounts so all I would have to do is change the velke over. Any thoughts if that is to much wieght for the little 36. It has a 13 HP Kohler Command.

T. Wheeler
04-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Never saw that view point on the bull rider. But what does the X2 offer for not jackknifing I read on there website and it says no jackknifing. Is that 100% true?
If so, wheres it put your in postion when backing up (next to mower, behind mower, etc)

Sorry for all the questions guys just trying to make right decision.

Thanks,
Trevor

mcwlandscaping
04-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I have never ever even come close to jackknifing this thing, backing up, i step off, go back, and then go forward and hop back on, quick, np answering questions, i am the same way when buying new stuff

mcwlandscaping
04-30-2006, 06:09 PM
I would like to know if I can put it on my 36" WB Exmark Belt drive. I am a big guy at 250LBS. That may be a little much for it. I have two mounts so all I would have to do is change the velke over. Any thoughts if that is to much wieght for the little 36. It has a 13 HP Kohler Command.

I have the X2 on my metro, i mean, im at around 145lbs and it pulls me up some steep hills with ease,

T. Wheeler
04-30-2006, 06:18 PM
I have never ever even come close to jackknifing this thing, backing up, i step off, go back, and then go forward and hop back on, quick, np answering questions, i am the same way when buying new stuff

So you hop off sulky, Back out straight, then go forward if it gets crooked, then continue to mow. Correct?

Thanks,
Trevor

mcwlandscaping
04-30-2006, 06:20 PM
So you hop off sulky, Back out straight, then go forward if it gets crooked, then continue to mow. Correct?

Thanks,
Trevor
yup! i can get pics of what i mean exactly if you want me to

T. Wheeler
04-30-2006, 06:41 PM
That'd be great if you don't mind don't wanna cause you any trouble. Probally gunna be a two wheeled sulky now. No casters just straight up 2 wheel.

Thanks,
Trevor

mcwlandscaping
04-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Not a problem getting these pics for you at all......here is the velke in forward, riding position

mcwlandscaping
04-30-2006, 07:13 PM
when you go backwards, the velke tends to want to flip around backwards (see pic) so i step off when i need to back up, it flips around, then when i start going forward again the velke straightens out on its own and i jump back on and keep riding

mcwlandscaping
04-30-2006, 07:14 PM
here is a pic of the attachment point, it didn't come out too clear but should give you the general idea of it, like i said, one pin and it out.

T. Wheeler
04-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Made up my mind, talked my self out of the Bull Rider and Pro Slide. Going for the Velke X2. Going to look on ebay now.

Thanks mcw for the pics and everyone else who helped out
Trevor

J&R Landscaping
05-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Those X2's definitly give you a little bit more room for your feet than does the pro 1. You'll be satisfied! Best of Luck!

Dashunde
05-01-2006, 10:29 PM
:confused: $275-$300 for the X2???

I think mine was $220 less than a year ago.
Maybe I got a deal... I bought it with the mower?

GilBob
10-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey guys (gals too), this is my first time posting, just registered this morning. Anyway, I purchased a 48" bobcat ransomes, its old, and belt driven with a 11 hp honda engine. Would it support pulling a sulky with me on it? I weigh about 196lb. :hammerhead: :confused:

thanks
Gil

mkwl
10-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Hey guys (gals too), this is my first time posting, just registered this morning. Anyway, I purchased a 48" bobcat ransomes, its old, and belt driven with a 11 hp honda engine. Would it support pulling a sulky with me on it? I weigh about 196lb. :hammerhead: :confused:

thanks
Gil

First off- WELCOME TO LAWNSITE!
Probably, but you may need to slow down in thick grass as 11HP is underpowered by todays mower standards. Also, if you have single belts on the drive wheels, keep clear of really wet conditions or they'll just slip with you on there. Should have no problem with a Velke Pro 1- I LOVE mine!

MJR_63
10-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Go with the Mower Brand dual swivel wheel sulky. I never need to step off and stay perfectly centered on sulky while I'm mowing. I can an mow around trees, shrubs, islands easily. This sulky is similar in design to the Bull Rider but less expensive. The until is built super solid. This unit runs around $250. Worth every penny. See pics below...

GilBob
10-08-2007, 07:42 AM
thanks guys.

jwl5510
10-09-2007, 02:46 AM
Jungle wheels here and the whole crew loves them:usflag:

cgaengineer
10-09-2007, 05:57 AM
If you have a Toro or feel like modifying the best Velke out there. Get the Toro Tru-Trac. You wont be dissatisfied.

wahlturfcare
10-09-2007, 09:05 AM
i havea proslide and love it. unlike wheeled sulkys that bounce on rough or yards with ruts, the proslide will glide right over, you can turn on a dime retracts up out of the way(wheels dont hit ya) even with the mower still moving, doesnt leave ruts, leaves a great stripe. etc..
I think you will like it alot better than a wheeled sulky.