View Full Version : New Lawn Seeding Rolled Seed Fabric

04-29-2006, 11:30 PM

I've seen new lawns started with that grass seed embedded in large rolls that cover large areas. typically used for commercial and industrial sites. What is that product called? I can't find it at any landscape supply website or local garden center. I have also seen the "sprayed on" type of seed media where a "green" sprayed mixture of seed and protective coating is applied to new soil. What is that called?

Also, what is the recomended method or sequence of events to start a new lawn where an existing lawn is already established but is half dead. Other than tearing it all out and bringing in new soil which is a major job, what other options are there? what about dethatching the existing turf, then reseeding? or is that a waste of time. I am in northern Illinois area.



05-01-2006, 03:46 AM
I believe it is called erosion control and you can buy it at shemin nurseries in addison or naperville.

05-01-2006, 07:53 PM
the "sprayed on stuff" is called hydro seeding.