PDA

View Full Version : A good start up mower

BQLC
04-29-2006, 11:58 PM
I am just getting started or trying to and I have a chance to purchase a Ferris 36" walk behind. my question is is this a good start up mower or should I go with another one?

alyssa
04-30-2006, 12:04 AM
I was just going to ask the same question. My son's friend offered us a riding mower for $400 and we were considering it and now I can't think of the name. I will be back when I find out lol.

topsites
04-30-2006, 12:09 AM
A good start-up mower would be most anything used at a fair price (meaning market or street value), so long it is a commercial model.

The 36" is too small for my tastes and I am a T-bar boy, but other than that I'd say it would be a go-getter, certainly better and faster than any rider, it would suit customers with those 3-foot gates whom I turn away because the gate is too small for my machine.

BQLC
04-30-2006, 12:22 AM
the price is what caught my attention but was unsure if I should not get a zero turn rider
Do you have a suggetion on trailer size? I can get the mower and trailer for less than 3 thousand.
Whatcha think?

Mad_Russian776
05-01-2006, 04:01 AM
I'm actually in your exact situation, just starting out and considering a 36" Ferris wb. My local dealer has the Ferris beltdrive priced at $2700.

My reasoning for going with the 36" is the versatility in terms of fitting through narrow gates. Being that i'm new, I cannot afford to turn customers away.

Trailer size...I'll repeat the opinion shared by most others on this forum. Go with the 6x12 over a 5x8. You will have less manuevering of equipment and you will likely soon outgrow the smaller trailer.

FinerCutslawnCare
05-01-2006, 01:24 PM
I would get a 36" and then if you have the money invest in something bigger. When I was starting out i constantly had problems with lawns so big it would take me 3 hours to mow one with a 36". Just plain and simple if you are doing residential prolly also get a 48" or a 52". Just my opinion!

J&R Landscaping
05-01-2006, 01:28 PM
What size porpertyies are you aiming to service? This will determine if the size of the machine is good. All an all, I think a 36" is a good way to start. I started with one, got a couple bigger machines but since I am not doing any really large yards, I'm back to using just the 36" and a 21" for the little bit of finish work that I have.
What size and type of engine is on it?

rfed32
05-01-2006, 04:19 PM
i would get the 36 perfect to start out with...what i have right now....but save money so u can get somehting bigger b.c on the big yards that take about an hr with the 36 can be done in 1/3 of the time with something bigger

cp
05-01-2006, 05:39 PM
If you are looking for a good 36" I have an Exmark w/mulching kit no more than 30 hrs on it. But you will have to come and get it. Sorry.

daveintoledo
05-01-2006, 05:49 PM
what ever you do...BUY A COMMERCIAL MOWER.......belei e it when its said a residential mower wont last..:)

Freddy_Kruger
05-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Why a 36 inch? if that was your first mower you would have to weed out houses where gates or tight areas prevent the use of 36". Ofcourse I'm just a beginner but I would have thought a 21" is essential to a lawn op. and a good starter. I am thinking of getting a larger wb if I get enough customers that I need to increase efficiency.

JJLandscapes
05-01-2006, 07:27 PM
dont knnow how anyone here is answering his questions without knowing property sizes a 36" would be terrible startup for me we started with a 32" because there are only 2 houses where it wont fit through the fence but there would be a 15-30 houses that the 36 wouldnt fit into the backyard if not maybe half my houses (5060)

we do residentials and started with a residential 21" 3 years ago on about 20 lawns and uprgaded last year to a 32 in commercial scag on 65 lawns ... we are still using 1 32" and 1 21" on 110-120 residentials this year and there is a small chance we might get a stander to try to cut time down and squeeze in more houses