PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please?

cessnasovereign
04-30-2006, 02:07 AM
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=122166-51660-AE-48&lpage=none

I'm looking for something cheap to do a little bit of aerating in the fall and don't want to have to rent one again. Anyone use something similiar to this?

I wonder if it would do as good of a job as one of the gas rentals from like home depot?

grassmanak
04-30-2006, 02:59 AM
Id say go for it, I just aquired a craftsman tractor for 50 bucks and plan on buying something similar to what you have there

oslo
04-30-2006, 03:18 AM
No they don't do a quality job. If you can get a way with it though... go for it.

Splicer
04-30-2006, 03:51 AM
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=122166-51660-AE-48&lpage=none

I'm looking for something cheap to do a little bit of aerating in the fall and don't want to have to rent one again. Anyone use something similiar to this?

I wonder if it would do as good of a job as one of the gas rentals from like home depot?
I have that model (see signature). The company that makes Precise Fit is Tri Global Enterprises. I think it works great. I am pleased. Brings up the cores jst as advertised. In a couple 2-4 weeks the cores are just a memory and the lawn is thriving.

As an example I aerated my 1 acre about 2 months ago now (in March) since we had warm winter. Anyway as of today my grass is thick and very green compared to my neighbors on either side of me and the one directly behind me. I also mow at 3". This combination has made the yard look the best it has since I moved here 4 years ago. I recommend it.

topsites
04-30-2006, 09:17 AM

Absolutely not, and here's why:
- Weight: the larger gas-powered units weigh a lot more than the tow-behind (yup, cement bricks and all).
- Tine propulsion: On a gas-powered unit, it is the axle carrying the tines that is powered, so the unit literally digs itself into the dirt as it pushes itself forward. On a tow-behind unit, it's all being dragged along and the machine doing the towing is doing the work but not the aeration unit itself - I can even see the difference in plug size when I just pull my walk-behind gas-powered aerator for a short distance (like before turning) rather than letting the engine do the work, it's not the same thing, no argument.

I only aerate maybe a dozen yards a year but I tell you what, gas-powered units literally last me forever, it's the only thing I want to do the job right.

p.s.: yeah renting is no fun when you're in business

chriscraft
04-30-2006, 10:56 AM
they tend to fall apart. especially if you add weight to them. without the weight they wont core well and dont do the size holes the real ones do. our unit weighs 400lbs Turfco 42" and has been used thousands of times ans nothing has broke yet. You still need a 26" walker to do perimeters and small spots. I would buy a used ryan for 500 bucks or so and buy a turfco 42" towable. They will last longer than you.

cessnasovereign
04-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the opinions.. I just want something cheap for now and I'd reallllly prefer something I could tow so I don't have to do all that walking (back problems after a car accident in March).. Also what do you guys think is the best times to aerate? I'm in Charlotte, NC. I had someone ask me about it today actually.

cessnasovereign
04-30-2006, 09:33 PM
I have that model (see signature). The company that makes Precise Fit is Tri Global Enterprises. I think it works great. I am pleased. Brings up the cores jst as advertised. In a couple 2-4 weeks the cores are just a memory and the lawn is thriving.

As an example I aerated my 1 acre about 2 months ago now (in March) since we had warm winter. Anyway as of today my grass is thick and very green compared to my neighbors on either side of me and the one directly behind me. I also mow at 3". This combination has made the yard look the best it has since I moved here 4 years ago. I recommend it.

:cool2: Cool cool.. What do you weight it down with? How many pounds do you have on it? I haven't looked at it in person yet so I don't know if you fill it with sand or water or just put stuff on it?

J&R Landscaping
04-30-2006, 09:40 PM
I would check on ebay. Ryan, Bluebird, Classen, Husqvarna are good brands to get! I woulld look into a gas powered machine! JMO

stpet291
04-30-2006, 10:19 PM
I have used my Home depot version a ton and have never had any problems. I add and subtract weight as need and the core size and quality are fine. Homeowners have never complained and call me back every year.

The best $200 I have spent yet! No argument!:)

dcondon
04-30-2006, 10:40 PM
I think that will do you just fine. Just add some extra weight on and go over it twice. People will be happy with what you did!!! It should be done in the Fall if possible. If not you can do it in the spring. JMO

jabbo
06-01-2006, 10:52 PM
I just bought that exact same aerator from Lowes and did my centipede for the first time in 5 years. I'll have to say after I added some 8" blocks and strapped them down it did a pretty good job. The only thing that bothers me is that when I assembled it I put plastic bearings between the knife brackets and the shaft that they ride on. And when I got thru with my acre of grassX2 I noticed some of these so-called bearings were gone. I don't know if I had too much weight or not but it did a good job!