PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Geese "What 2 do"

kipcom
04-30-2006, 06:04 AM
Most of us have to deal with these "pesky" flying ..poop everywhere, no good ,,,,well I will stop there before I say something else :nono:

Looking for ways to rid them of properties ( legally ) without harming them.

The best we have done so far is to place FOX statues and Hawk statues in the areas they feed at,,,,,but they just move to another for a week and then they are back. We also tried spraying Vinegar & Water around the ponds ( Like a ****** for the lawn LOL :dizzy: ) but it smells bad for those who try to enjoy the areas.

Grassmechanic
04-30-2006, 08:41 AM
String monofilament fishing line around the ponds at 6" and 12". They walk into it and it drives them nuts. They'll stay out.

kipcom
04-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Good suggestion...Thanks :clapping:

geogunn
04-30-2006, 08:59 AM
lots of lake owners here have border collies.

border collies hate geese.

GEO :waving:

Norm Al
04-30-2006, 09:30 AM
get a cannon

green_mark
04-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Goose Repel

www.farmcropextracts.com

stpet291
04-30-2006, 11:20 AM
String with steaks in the ground worked great for me, until my dog ran into it. Tie some flag tape on the line to help our rover, they will appreciate it!:)

mulcahy mowing
04-30-2006, 12:35 PM
this isn't practical at all but you can turn on a sprinkler during the day to get rid of them but then you'll have a swamp by the end of the week........

Grassmechanic
04-30-2006, 12:48 PM
String with steaks in the ground worked great for me, until my dog ran into it. Tie some flag tape on the line to help our rover, they will appreciate it!:)
Yep. You have to keep the dogs out of it. Border Collies also work good, but you'll have to consider the price for year round maintenance of a dog for a few months of goose control.

hillndale
04-30-2006, 01:08 PM
DICK CHENEY :usflag:

sheshovel
04-30-2006, 01:22 PM
These birds ar protected by law.Leave them be...how can you have a pond without expecting wildlife to use it?The may have nests right now.Don't use fishing line you could injure them.

Grassmechanic
04-30-2006, 01:27 PM
These birds ar protected by law.Leave them be...how can you have a pond without expecting wildlife to use it?The may have nests right now.Don't use fishing line you could injure them.
That's right, they are protected. But once they nest, then you have problems. Until they nest, you can prevent them from being "welcome" on your property, as long as you do not physically harm them. Fishing line does NOT hurt them. It is one method approved by the Gov't to deal with them. I take it that you have never been attacked by a nesting goose???

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger
04-30-2006, 08:57 PM
A friend of mine was having the same problem ( geese are not protected here in NZ) . He hooked up a couple of sprinklers thru a timer and sensor light sensor , when the geese came along on came the sprinkler and off go the geese. Works well and is random so the dont get used to the pattern, only drawback is anything else walking past gets a blast too.

The Lawn Ranger
Taupo New Zealand

olderthandirt
04-30-2006, 09:08 PM
The geese belong to the government [migratory bird] but I never gave the government permission to allow there geese on my ponds. Shoot the sky carp and let the buzzard feast

chriscraft
04-30-2006, 09:11 PM
You can serve them broasted with an orange sauce, good side buisiness,KIPCOM"S CUT AND BBQ FIESTA

sheshovel
05-01-2006, 04:05 PM
No I have never been attacked by a nesting goose because I leave them alone.They are not sky carp they are wonderfull birds beautifull to look at.The device that wwas mentioned is called a Scarecrow..but you have to leave it attached to a hose that stays turned on a little bit so it can spray the birds and it only has a 30' radius to spray so you would need more than one around a pond...You can find one at Scatmat.com..or Scatmatt.com.The work great for deer and other animals but I have never used them for Geese.And speaking of Waterfowl
man never appreciates what we have untell it's gone for good.And YES I hug tree's too..got a problem with that?

Rev. Crabgrass
05-01-2006, 05:12 PM
The geese belong to the government [migratory bird] but I never gave the government permission to allow there geese on my ponds. Shoot the sky carp and let the buzzard feast

Geese are pest, they are the bottom feeders of the air, they are sky carp. The game warden can't hear a bow and arrow. Dogs are the best method though. Not only are the geese gone but you have a friend.

REV.

Brendan Smith
05-01-2006, 05:20 PM
#4 stel shot if they're close, #BBB and a modified choke if they're far off.

bwilder10h
05-01-2006, 06:13 PM
You could always call this guy. Unbelievable he made 60 grand last year driving around watching his dogs chase geese.

http://tinyurl.com/gy9e2

hillndale
05-01-2006, 07:02 PM
No I have never been attacked by a nesting goose because I leave them alone.They are not sky carp they are wonderfull birds beautifull to look at.The device that wwas mentioned is called a Scarecrow..but you have to leave it attached to a hose that stays turned on a little bit so it can spray the birds and it only has a 30' radius to spray so you would need more than one around a pond...You can find one at Scatmat.com..or Scatmatt.com.The work great for deer and other animals but I have never used them for Geese.And speaking of Waterfowl
man never appreciates what we have untell it's gone for good.And YES I hug tree's too..got a problem with that?

Well SheShovel, I had to respond. I always like your opinions and bold stance on various topics on this forum. You truly add balance. You go ahead on wit yer bad self :clapping: Gotta love the West Coast :cool2:

hillndale :headphones:

olderthandirt
05-01-2006, 07:27 PM
No I have never been attacked by a nesting goose because I leave them alone

Oh I bet you've been "goosed" plenty of times :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinkup:

LawnsRUsInc.
05-01-2006, 09:15 PM
We took for alot of custoemrs properties was but up a thin metal wire on 2' posts that were driven in 6" with a nail at the top that we wrapped the wire around

Jason

imograss
05-01-2006, 09:47 PM
25/06 and some earplugs. Guaranteed to eradicate the ones you hit.

all ferris
05-01-2006, 09:54 PM
If you think a nesting goose is bad you ought to try a nesting swan. The swan wouldn't even let me within 150' of the nest and they are not scared of a 1600# 72" mower coming at them.

lawnprosteveo
05-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Remington 870 pump shotgun, "T" size shells, no more problems. Plus dinner on the table!

Sharp Services
05-02-2006, 04:12 AM
Remington 870 pump shotgun, "T" size shells, no more problems. Plus dinner on the table!

I prefer my Browning A5. It works great and you can rid yourself of more of them because it hold more shells.

Choctaw Scalper
05-02-2006, 04:48 AM
Barrett Is The Choice Of Many Might use some ear plugs