PDA

View Full Version : Small Design I put in for a customer

mexiking
04-30-2006, 10:00 AM
This is from last summer and I just took the pictures this past friday, just wanted to share... all comments are welcome

mrbray101
04-30-2006, 11:41 AM
looks good man, nice prop.

NNJLandman
04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
looks nice, hey drop me a PM or gimme a call, I got a lawn in Wanaque you can have if your interested.

Jeff

bobbygedd
04-30-2006, 09:41 PM
where are the "after" pictures?

mexiking
04-30-2006, 09:45 PM
where are the "after" pictures?
that is it...
budget of 3,000 cost of plants $550
Installed in 2 hours with 3 men

bobbygedd
05-01-2006, 12:00 PM
$3,000? for THAT! i aint sayin it's "bad work", and i understand u had to stay in your budget, but.....

mexiking
05-01-2006, 12:21 PM
$3,000? for THAT! i aint sayin it's "bad work", and i understand u had to stay in your budget, but.....

They were really happy with the plants, and I like to make money...

jameson
05-01-2006, 12:42 PM
that is it...
budget of 3,000 cost of plants $550
Installed in 2 hours with 3 men

Wow! So a total of six man hours for job, I assume that covers picking up the plants at the wholesale nursery? Minus the $550.00 for plant material, which I assume is the clients cost not yours? I'll take out a $200.00 for mulch (generous) that leaves $2250.00 left over. I did not see any other hardscaping I am just making a best guess with the pics. Tell me, exactly what you charge per man hour, cuz, I am moving to NJ.

At the end of the day, if the client is happy and you get paid...More power to ya!

James

AGLA
05-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Can you show us the photoimage design that sold that job?

mexiking
05-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Wow! So a total of six man hours for job, I assume that covers picking up the plants at the wholesale nursery? Minus the $550.00 for plant material, which I assume is the clients cost not yours? I'll take out a $200.00 for mulch (generous) that leaves $2250.00 left over. I did not see any other hardscaping I am just making a best guess with the pics. Tell me, exactly what you charge per man hour, cuz, I am moving to NJ.

At the end of the day, if the client is happy and you get paid...More power to ya!

James

for mulch it was less, it was like 8-10 bags of mulch since it was such little space.... I made pretty decent amout in this installation, around what you said. Yes the customer was very happy and always recommends us, he's probably the fastest payer all the time.

mexiking
05-01-2006, 02:26 PM
Can you show us the photoimage design that sold that job?

okay I gave it a quick scan in my folders but I can't find it, I'm going to look in my old hdd and ill put it if I find it.

dKoester
05-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Nice job and great profit!!!!!!!!!!

mexiking
05-01-2006, 08:14 PM
heres what i showed the customer

mexiking
05-01-2006, 08:15 PM
and the other side

greasy_gun
05-01-2006, 09:09 PM
great installation and sales design!!

:cool2:

gorknoids
05-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Is this guy still on life support, or did Anna Nichole have it pulled?

AGLA
05-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Thanks for posting your design photos.

kootoomootoo
05-02-2006, 08:23 AM
Its a terrible design. There is one of everything .....ever heard of 3's and 5's.
The design is a giveaway that you didnt get what you said you got.

Looks like a typical lawnmowing kid hodgepodge.

AGLA
05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Not everyone has the same aesthetic. I'm not going to knock a guy who has the stones to post his pics and his design pics that went with it based on his aesthetic taste. He did his design and executed it the installation with a result that looks like the design.

The King has his style and evidently has a client that liked it in the design phase. The built work almost certainly did not disappoint because it looks like the design.

Tim Wright
05-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Its a terrible design. There is one of everything .....ever heard of 3's and 5's.
The design is a giveaway that you didnt get what you said you got.

Looks like a typical lawnmowing kid hodgepodge.

Your looking at it wrong. You have to look at it symetrically on both sides of the steps at the same time. Everything is equal on both sides of the steps.

So there are two's, four's six's.

Tim

Wolfie's L&L
05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Nice work King! It's small and simple, yet it makes a great looking foundation planting. Do you also do the lawncare at the property too?

Jason

Loy's Home Services, LLC
05-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Looks good! Did you try to talk them into stone instead of mulch. Here lately I've been putting in more rock than mulch. Did you put down a good weed-mat too?

Dirty Water
05-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Did you put down a good weed-mat too?

Landscape fabric under mulch is a joke for homeowners and amatuers.

AGLA
05-03-2006, 07:27 AM
To critique a landscape is to is to measure it against something. That means you are going to frame a set of values to measure it up against. The assumption is that the people who did the work either used the same set of values or should have used the same set of values. If Mexiking was designing with symetry in mind or with the goal of grouping mass plantings, he would have failed. If he talked to his client and found that they wanted a lot of different color, texture, and form to make a basic planting around his deck, I would say that he met that goal. When he makes a photo image for the client, he defined the criteria that he intended to meet. It is pretty hard not to use the design photo as the standard to critique his work by in that case.

I don't particularly like what he did, but that does not make it bad work.

mexiking
05-03-2006, 08:35 AM
yeah, thanks for comments AGLA and TIM

PMG
05-03-2006, 10:14 AM
There are a few things to take into account on this project.

1) It was sold to the customer!
2) The customer is happy!
3) He was paid a lot of money!

I don't necessarily believe the design is appropriate based on standard Landscape Design Concepts. The odd numbers also don't always apply to specific design concepts but have been a standard in the industry because someone said it is the way it should be.....well, I am here to tell you they are not 100% right.

Designs are based on a lot of different aspects such as the site, an individuals (homeowners) desires and budget as well as the individuals (landscapers) input for the geographical area. I believe there are some height issues and specific plant placement issues but all in all the jobs installation was done professionally and he has a happy customer.

I would have done things a little different, but that is what makes us all individuals with vision and that is why we are in the service industry, because we have vision and professionalism that we are offering to our customers.

I think we can all admit that some of our designs whether our first or our second maybe didn't look the greatest, but with time we learn by experience, by continued education and by input from other professionals in the industry.

Mexiking, I applaud you for looking to all of us as professionals for input on your design, because the best way to grow in this industry is through experience and seeking input from other professionals.

I wish you the best in your future endeavors and would continue to solicit input, there isn't a day in anyones life where there brain is to full to learn something new. No one knows it all!

Jscape
05-05-2006, 04:09 AM
I was wondering what program you used to make that digital image?

mexiking
05-05-2006, 08:05 AM
There are a few things to take into account on this project.

1) It was sold to the customer!
2) The customer is happy!
3) He was paid a lot of money!

I don't necessarily believe the design is appropriate based on standard Landscape Design Concepts. The odd numbers also don't always apply to specific design concepts but have been a standard in the industry because someone said it is the way it should be.....well, I am here to tell you they are not 100% right.

Designs are based on a lot of different aspects such as the site, an individuals (homeowners) desires and budget as well as the individuals (landscapers) input for the geographical area. I believe there are some height issues and specific plant placement issues but all in all the jobs installation was done professionally and he has a happy customer.

I would have done things a little different, but that is what makes us all individuals with vision and that is why we are in the service industry, because we have vision and professionalism that we are offering to our customers.

I think we can all admit that some of our designs whether our first or our second maybe didn't look the greatest, but with time we learn by experience, by continued education and by input from other professionals in the industry.

Mexiking, I applaud you for looking to all of us as professionals for input on your design, because the best way to grow in this industry is through experience and seeking input from other professionals.

I wish you the best in your future endeavors and would continue to solicit input, there isn't a day in anyones life where there brain is to full to learn something new. No one knows it all!

thanks man, good points and smart comments

mexiking
05-05-2006, 08:06 AM
I was wondering what program you used to make that digital image?

I use pro landscape Jscape

wi-dogfish
05-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Ya mexiking, That software is pretty cool. I have been doing a lot of reading the last couple years here. Got irrigation in, trees planted, grass in, now i have to figure out what to plant by my pillars and do something with my culvert.
I was thinking of putting some field stone around the culvert from the top of the concrete down to the bottom of culvert, kind of a upside down triangle shape if you know what i mean. Then do some planting around the pillars with some decorative grass some flowering bushes and some annuals and i'm not sure if i want to do rock or woodchips yet, and what to use as a border around the pillars. Would it look funny if i put field stone around the culvert and then went with those oblonged bullet edgers around the pillars to match my other edgers? I'm going to include the closet pine tree in each pillar into the bed. I want to make this neat since everyone will see it when they drive up to the house.
thanks for any suggestions,
jason
ps. I was trying to do a planting of little bluestem and side oats in the ditch but i think just the rye is growing, might have to redo that. Trying to make it somewhat natural looking. That's why i was thinking of using the fieldstone.