PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cans

mole
04-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Anybody have any cans taken out of there truck yet?. I have had three 5 gal taken, And I have talked with other guys that had the same problem. I don't think it's other lco I think its kids getting free gas for there cars.

grshppr
04-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Thats why I started using yellow diesel cans with the word "diesel" marked in felt on them. It makes them think twice before grabbing a can

JTF40
04-30-2006, 10:47 AM
I chain mine up - BIG chain.:usflag:

Lux Lawn
04-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Mark them all 50:1 mix on the side of the can,then they may think twice about it.If it is a LCO and they put straight gas in their trimmers and blowers they will be sorry.

Dependable Mowing
04-30-2006, 11:39 AM
All of our cans are locked in the trailer cages...

topsites
04-30-2006, 11:48 AM
I don't carry fuel onboard with the exception of the day I need to get fuel, all other times my cans stay underneath the house where it's dark and cool. When I need fuel, it usually waits until the end of the day... I do carry a syphon kit just in case, and a quart of mix (in an old oil container). The syphon kit is by far the most-used, anytime something runs low, there's always something else has enough to transfer some over.

Nevermind theft, the heat of the sun boils gasoline and when it does that, it evaporates and also makes it lose its potency. With the racing blend of semi-leaded fuel that I use, I spend way too much money per gallon to watch it boil.

That having been said, all cans that contain offroad fuel are labeled 'Leaded Offroad' and they barely contain a trace of lead but it would highly amuse me to watch someone drop that stuff in their car, to say the least. It's a minimum 93 octane semi-leaded, thou it comes closer to 94 or 95 oct, that stuff will fry your catalytic for starters.

Have never had a problem with fuel disappearing thou I did install a locking gas cap on the truck and after that I no longer had the suspicion that someone was, from time to time, syphoning off a couple gallons at a time... Real smart, just enough to where I wasn't supposed to notice but a notch on the gauge is a notch nevertheless.

Then, I moved my stuff elsewhere and got away from the crowd that was always 'hanging around.' Lost a lot of so-called friends but I can rely on measuring my fuel down to the ounce nowadays (and I'm so anal about fuel consumption, I do measure some of it by the ounce).

mowerman90
04-30-2006, 12:58 PM
I have an old gas can that I keep "water" in on my trailer. I just hope someone steals it and without checking pours it into their car.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gjohnson
04-30-2006, 01:50 PM
I know someone who kept loosing full gas cans to thieves, so he just loaded some up with sugar and sure enough, they disappeared, also. Can't feel sorry for a thief.

EXspyguy
04-30-2006, 03:04 PM
Thats why I started using yellow diesel cans with the word "diesel" marked in felt on them. It makes them think twice before grabbing a can

I know the gas stations around here will stop you from filling if they see you putting gas into anything but a red fuel container. To many idiots end up putting gas into things like a kerosene heater.

rodfather
04-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Both of ours are 500 gallons each...like to see them carry those away. :laugh:

gramps
04-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I keep beer in mine:drinkup:

Tharrell
04-30-2006, 06:44 PM
Yes, I've had a 5 gallon container stolen. I replaced it and bought a 3 pack of Master cable locks. They use the same key and are handy for locking cans and stuff like chain saws etc...
They're coated so they don't scratch anything also.
I also bought a 36 foot x 3/8 Kryptonite cable and the biggest master Lock I've ever seen to run through all of my equipment and the trailer at night.

chriscraft
04-30-2006, 08:24 PM
I had my trailer stolen with 48 laser , 36 walkbehind hydro, and for good measure the cut the cable on one of my boats and stole a brand ner 50 hp eveinrude. And that was from a barbwired secure lock up