PDA

View Full Version : anyone on here run the stihl 4 mix 4 stroke trimmers???

milo
04-30-2006, 06:58 PM
i am buying a new trimmer tomorrow and i am either getting the fs 80 2 stroke that i know has a ton of power and the best trimmer i used to date but my dealer is telling me to go with the 4 mix cause he says even more power and runs smoother..
so anyone run these like the fs 90 or fs 100rx or 110? please post and compair to the fs80r. thanks:dancing:

MNBOY
04-30-2006, 08:21 PM
I have the KM 110R with the trimmer and edger attatchment. The trimmer has more power than I'll ever need. The edger works good but sometimes I wish it had more power. It takes about 5 seconds to change from the trimmer to edger. I like it a lot and think it was a good purchase thus far.

David Haggerty
04-30-2006, 08:37 PM
When my Stihl FS 85 got ripped off I bought the 110 4 mix.

After a while I was almost glad the FS 85 got stolen. The 110 is that much better. I have the hedge pruner and the chainsaw attachment for it too.
It has enough low end torque it can operate at lower rpm's. Much quieter.
I've had the 110 a couple of seasons, work it every day.

You need to watch the junior models. Some aren't rated to handle the attachments.

Dave

LLandscaping
04-30-2006, 08:40 PM
We have a FS110 (four stroke) and several FS85's. I like the FS85 better they are lighter and dont seem to burn as much fuel as the 110. The FS110 is a good trimmer but I guess I am just use to using the FS85's. The FS80 is the same trimmer as the FS85 but has a flex shaft instead of a solid.

milo
04-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Ok Sounds Like I Cannot Go Wrong Then. I Think I Am Getting The Fs100rx Over The Fs80. I Am Not Sure Of The Price Of The Fs100rx Anyone Know?

6'7 330
04-30-2006, 08:50 PM
We still have quite a few two cycle stihl's.The 100 and 110,have Low down grunt power, easier starts. Id go with the 4-mix.

If your needs require only a trimmer, and no attachments , go with the 100.The 100 in-addition is lighter then the 110.

mr mow
04-30-2006, 09:36 PM
yeah i just bought a 110rx this year(this is my first year on my own). when i worked for some one else we used green machince. love those but i like 110 rx even better except the handle i want to get a diffrent style, anyways in my area i paid $329 they knocked of $20 cause i bought some nice used mowers which i also talked them down on as well. that my .00056 cents.

phototropic1
04-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah, the 4-Mix is great. I own both the FS 130 and FS 130 R. I previously owned a Stihl 2 cycle. Don't remember the model #. It was the commercial end model. The 4-mix is a lot more powerful, quieter, and seems to vibrate less, which is nice on the hands. Love em.

lawnboyblake
05-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Same here,
Love the 4-mix. I have a 100RX and a 110RX. They are both great. You can definately tell a difference in weight between the two. It's a tossup on which one I use most of the time.....:waving:

dwc
05-02-2006, 11:42 PM
I have a FS110 with the hedge trimmer and edger attatchment. It is really nice and LOTS of power. I have a FS85 also and I use it a lot when I dont need much power, but the 110 is a good machine. I just got a BR600 blower thats a 4 mix also and it is MEAN. It is pretty quiet too.

gunner27
05-02-2006, 11:49 PM
I have used my 4mix trimmer for about a year now and love it. I just used the Fs 85 yesterday and like that also. Given a choice though, I will grab the 4mix...

topsites
05-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Ok Sounds Like I Cannot Go Wrong Then. I Think I Am Getting The Fs100rx Over The Fs80. I Am Not Sure Of The Price Of The Fs100rx Anyone Know?

I've used both the FS-85 and the Echo srm-260s before, still have an almost brand-new fs-85 but it has the trimmer attachment on it because I like to have a dedicated pole trimmer :)

Recently my echo started giving me headaches and I bought the FS-100rx and it is b-b-b-b-bad !!! It's no heavier than the FS-85 but it has TONS of power and sounds like a little harley at idle and low rpm's. Since I'm a little bit red, I really like the vrooom-vrooom sound it makes. At higher rpm's, the motor doesn't sound like it's going to do much but whoa the string winds up with a whirrr that is louder than the motor, and I mean noticeably louder. The string whirrring is actually about the only reason I have to wear hearing protectors, the motor isn't that loud but the string noise is WOW! And when it hits weeds, watch out for flying objects LOL !

Starts great, fuel consumption was a bit high at first until the excitement wore off... I usually use just as much throttle as I really need to do the job, and with the FS-100 I can do most of my stuff barely above idle: I get 4-6 yards per tank, maybe 8 but my lots are larger than they used to be (1/4 acre to an acre nowadays). Still, I'm working to get it to run all day on a tank and I think it can be done.

Price was not much higher than the FS-85, money was no issue at the time but I believe it was 340-360, I don't know for sure but it was NOT 400!!

You will very much so like the FS-100rx, it works great one-handed and left-handed and upside down and swing it between your legs and do acrobatics and all that, too.

Oh, one other thing: I replaced the Stihl's solid handle with my old Echo's D-handle and it's reeeeeally nice now. The echo's shaft diameter is a bit smaller so the D-handle has to be tightened carefully so the bracket isn't lopsided, but it fits.
You can remove the shoulder strap as well.

ALarsh
05-02-2006, 11:55 PM
My FS110 is ok. If I could do it all over I would go with RedMax. The Sthil doesn't start that easily (used to by 2 pulls, now its about 5-10) but its great when it is running.

FrankenScagMachines
05-03-2006, 12:27 AM
went from a FS80 (had since 2002, loved every minute of it!) to a KM110R split shaft 4 mix this season. Weight is barely noticable, the power is awesome, I like to say it has the torque of a diesel with weight of a 2 cycle... because of the power in the lower RPM range, it runs cooler from less RPM's (less friction equals less heat) which means its more comfortable to use, you can reach under a bush one handed without burning your arm its actually almost cool to the touch, and due to lower RPM's it uses less fuel I think... I don't think its too bad compared to the FS80, I love this unit... awesome! pricey but worth it!!!

Oh and another awesome thing about this unit, it cold starts very first pull, and warm starts very first pull with no chokin or fiddling with it... very consistent... love the sound of it too it is a quieter tone...

lawnrangeralaska
05-03-2006, 02:02 AM
go with the 4mix they are super super quite no two stroke exhaust smell better fuel milage better power band, basically its got torque from a 4stroke and the speed from a 2stroke, buying another one tomarrow. $389.00

milo
05-06-2006, 05:52 PM
i bought a fs90 and fs80r. fs80r's been my trimmer for years. both are nice i cant wait till monday to see what the 4mix can do. i know the fs80r has balls so the 4mix must have a little more.

MMLawn
05-06-2006, 06:07 PM
i bought a fs90 and fs80r. fs80r's been my trimmer for years. both are nice i cant wait till monday to see what the 4mix can do. i know the fs80r has balls so the 4mix must have a little more.

Over the years I have switched from Stihl to both Echo and Redmax and have been running those. But a couple weeks ago I decided to try Stihl again so I bought four (4) FS90's ($309 ea) and also bought a couple hedge trimmer attachments ($289 ea). So far they are almost always the first grabbed now.

On a side note, have running the Redmax trimmers for 3-4 years now I personally just think they are over rated big time and the plastic housings (engine and trigger) will not take the same "commercial abuse" that even the Echo's will take and esp that that Stihl will take.

jcthorne
05-06-2006, 06:12 PM
I've got two of the 4 stroke 100's. One is about 8 months old the other is less than a month. They are both in the shop. Plenty of power, but they are not as reliable as the 2 strokes.

mr mow
05-06-2006, 06:56 PM
I think my 110rx is a gas hog and shield doesnt allow enough string for me but i also dont want to take it off and i dont like the handle(i have to bend over to much) those points are all minor. the engine is nice

deereman
05-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Boy this is a great thread! we too right now, is in this same boat as far as buying new trimmers, or really just adding to the line up again. But as right now we run several FS80's and a McCulloch trimmer(s) . I am about as sick of that McCulloch trimmer as one can be, and yes it is an commercial trimmer. So I went in to get a 2006 Stihl book to look over the new line up and our dealer knows that we are happy with the FS80's , but he strongly recommended going with the FS90, as he said they were going to be fazing out the FS80's in the future. So I think that I am going to go with the FS90 and try the 4MIX. Thanks for having such a great debate here!

travis55
10-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Ive had my fs 130 for a lil over a month now an love it . As mentioned before tons of power , an starts real easy . :)

twj721
10-14-2006, 11:35 PM
I have a FS 90 and love it a lot of low speed torque does not sound like a normal weedeater for sure

LawnBrother
10-15-2006, 12:26 AM
km110 kicks ass. get it.

Envy Lawn Service
10-15-2006, 02:33 AM
Well I see this thread got dug back up.

In a way, I have to agree with MMLawn, and at the same time, I feel pretty Al Gore-ish on my position about handheld equipment. Before saying anything more, I've asked myself 'why' this is, and when I'm honest with myself the truth is, I'm just no longer really comfortable with any brand out there across the board anymore.

Before the change to 4-Mix from Stihl, I was comfortable with their product line across the board. The only thing was that they didn't 'keep up' with the backpack blower segment. So I bought some Echo blowers. But now, they are putting catalylic muffler on some of the old 2 cycle stuff and they have all these new 4-mix engines.

I am not pro-catalytic muffler at all, and I'm not pro-low emission either at all. Don't agree with the EPA's stand on this little stuff. On the other hand, I've been pro-4mix. But this is a new design, the reviews are mixed, and I'm just not all that comfortable with very much 'exposure' there... like standardizing to 4-mix.

Also, for me the Echo's have been pretty good. But I have to admit they have required more TLC and been much less reliable. Plus the newer stuff is getting really lousy reviews. So not real comfortable there either.

With RedMax, my own opinions and reviews have been mixed. I agree with MMLawn... over-rated and under-built compared to stihl, especially when it comes to trimmers. AND to be honest, I really have doubts about how RedMax will measure up long term. I'm still too new to them to judge. But the thing that makes me the most uncertain about them is the lingering buyout from Husqvarna. I for one am hoping the buyout falls through.

Personally, I have really been struggling with which direction to go for a while until the cream rises to the top again.

kmann
10-15-2006, 09:26 AM
I had the 80 and upgraded to the 100. It has alot more power. I think it cost about 325.00

S man
10-15-2006, 01:39 PM
went from a FS80 (had since 2002, loved every minute of it!) to a KM110R split shaft 4 mix this season. Weight is barely noticable, the power is awesome, I like to say it has the torque of a diesel with weight of a 2 cycle... because of the power in the lower RPM range, it runs cooler from less RPM's (less friction equals less heat) which means its more comfortable to use, you can reach under a bush one handed without burning your arm its actually almost cool to the touch, and due to lower RPM's it uses less fuel I think... I don't think its too bad compared to the FS80, I love this unit... awesome! pricey but worth it!!!

Oh and another awesome thing about this unit, it cold starts very first pull, and warm starts very first pull with no chokin or fiddling with it... very consistent... love the sound of it too it is a quieter tone...

I know what you mean when you say pricey. I paid $800 out the door on mine w/ three attachments.