PDA

View Full Version : No Soliciting!

cessnasovereign
04-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Curious as to what you guys do in neighborhoods that have "No Soliciting" signs at the entrances? About 99% of the nice neighborhoods around here have them. Is it technically illegal to solicit in the neighborhoods?

Also would that include just placing a flier on the door or paper box?

Also on a side note, I picked up a new contract today! Was getting gas and a guy came up, asked if I cut grass for money, then told me to come over so I went and now he's a weekly regular for $40 plus I'll be killing some grass in the beds (any suggestions for killing the grass by the way?) then putting some mulch down for $125. Mulch goes for about $20-25 a truckload here.

Also, I've been thinking about installing a winch in the bed of my truck for pulling up bushes, since it's kinda redneck to hook up a chain and floor it :laugh: in a customers front yard. So I have a 1500 lb winch that I was gonna put on the ATV but I might use for pulling up small bushes.. Anyone else do this?

Shawninfl
04-30-2006, 10:02 PM
I Have Also Ran Into The No Soliciting Neighborhoods. You Can Still Hang Door Hangers In Them To Help Business, You Just Can't Try To Talk And Sell While Doing So. I Just Hang The Doorhangers And Wait For The Call To Talk Business. If Anyone Asks You, Just Tell Them It Is Just A Flyer Telling About Your Lawn Care. Another Hint Is To Go To The Sales Offices And Drop Off A Couple Door Hangers And Business Cards. Then Check Back With Them Periodically...

sheshovel
04-30-2006, 10:08 PM
No Soliciting means just that..No Soliciting....some of those places have clubhouses that they will let you hang a flier on their bulletin board.

cessnasovereign
04-30-2006, 10:11 PM
No Soliciting means just that..No Soliciting....some of those places have clubhouses that they will let you hang a flier on their bulletin board.

Yeah but what I'm wondering is if that's just a suggestion or a law. I used to live in a neighborhood like that and it wouldn't have bothered me for people to come to my door. And I'm sure not everyone in those neighborhoods would be mad if someone put a flier on their doorstep. But I don't want to do it and possibly get in legal trouble.

bobcat9957
04-30-2006, 10:15 PM
If you want to get into the neighborhood and think you have a good chance why not mail the fliers to each house on the street?

topsites
04-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah but what I'm wondering is if that's just a suggestion or a law. I used to live in a neighborhood like that and it wouldn't have bothered me for people to come to my door. And I'm sure not everyone in those neighborhoods would be mad if someone put a flier on their doorstep. But I don't want to do it and possibly get in legal trouble.

I'm not one to advise you on how to break the law, but truth be known I haven't a clue as to whether there exists a law or not, sign or not... Now the way I used to handle it, if I got a complaint then I would ask them if I could have their address because to write it down so I would never leave another flyer on their property (and do write it down and do make sure) and that would usually fix it. Yes sir, yes ma'am, you understand and you are sorry you are very new and did not know and you promise not to do it no more (and don't, for real write it down someplace you will know even years later ok).

Worse comes to and the entire hood gets on you, say you are sorry that you did not know it was illegal and ok whatever just promise you will never do it again (and then don't).

And that's if you get a complaint but kinda take it easy, what I mean is:
- Do one hood at a time.
- Once a hood is done, leave it alone for a good year: Move on to the next.
Be cool

cessnasovereign
04-30-2006, 11:13 PM
The problem with mailing is, we're talking hundreds of houses. It's not one particular neighborhood or one street, it's a bunch of them.

- Once a hood is done, leave it alone for a good year: Move on to the next.
Be cool

Good tips.

Any suggestions on grass killing or winch use? :waving:

thelawnkid
05-01-2006, 12:11 AM
ruondup quick pro works well and will give you quick results as for the winch I don't know if 1500 lbs would be big enough to pull a good sized bush.

E&MLandscapeServices
05-01-2006, 12:25 AM
My neighborhood is 'No soliciting'. It means what it says: No selling, no hawking, no announcing your new product or service, no introducing yourself as a rep for so-and-so company, no marketing, no 'religious' introductions (Jehovah's Witnesses, et al). The first offense causes the person or business to be sent a 'trespass notice' banning them/their employees from our subdivision for any purpose. The second offense results in criminal charges for trespassing. Our homeowners association also includes a list of all 'No soliciting' offenders and asks the residents to not do business with that company. Just a thought... you may want to stick to direct mail (post cards work better than letters). Also, ask if you can include an advertisement in the Homeowners Association Newsletter (that works better than mailers).

cessnasovereign
05-01-2006, 08:36 AM
The first offense causes the person or business to be sent a 'trespass notice' banning them/their employees from our subdivision for any purpose. The second offense results in criminal charges for trespassing.

Damn.. that sucks.. I didn't think about them getting for trespassing.. :cry:

LindblomRJ
05-01-2006, 08:47 AM
I don't mind the post cards. Door hanger make me nuts. I hate those things. If one is left at my door or someone comes door to door trying to sell me something I can assure you that I will not do business with the person or company.

Its a moot point if it is a sugestion or a law. It means people don't want to be bothered... Nothing more needs to be said. Post card you have a fighting chance of getting your message across, advertising in the newsletter is a great idea.

Evergreenpros
05-01-2006, 09:39 AM
'No soliciting' is a joke. If it is truely interpreted correctly it would mean that the yellow pages cannot put books out, you cannot direct mail anyone, advertisments on the TV and radio are not allowed, and all print media with any advertisments (which are 100%) would be banned.

Wonder if they can put a trespassing violation on the mail carrier because he delivers magazines with ads in them? How about the newspaper guy? How about the internet because they have ads all over them? Guess no lawnsite for these homeowners associations!!!!

In generally accepted terms 'No soliciting' means no door to door selling. If the yellow pages can put their books on their porch you can put your flyer up. We have God given rights in this country, one of which is freedom of speech.

Homeowners associations cannot limit the free speech and access to information of their members, period!! Why anyone would even want to live with those people is beyond me, but to each his own.

LindblomRJ
05-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Evergreen

Is your phone number listed on the "national do not call list?" This is not an issue of free speech. You can advertise all you want. I also (as a potential customer) have the ability to ignore your advertisement.

I can see why these people would like to live that way. They work hard (I hope) for their money. They are likely active people who don't care to be bothered with door hangers (I find environmentally repulsive, a waste of paper) or people coming door to door trying to sell something I don't need or want. (Again one could argue the environment, people adding extraneous amount CO2 to the air.) It is well within my rights to ask you to get off my property. If you don't well then law enforcement will take you away kicking and screaming, or write you a ticket, summons you to court.

Of course this may vary state by state.

cessnasovereign
05-01-2006, 11:33 AM
'No soliciting' is a joke. If it is truely interpreted correctly it would mean that the yellow pages cannot put books out, you cannot direct mail anyone, advertisments on the TV and radio are not allowed, and all print media with any advertisments (which are 100%) would be banned.

Wonder if they can put a trespassing violation on the mail carrier because he delivers magazines with ads in them? How about the newspaper guy? How about the internet because they have ads all over them? Guess no lawnsite for these homeowners associations!!!!

In generally accepted terms 'No soliciting' means no door to door selling. If the yellow pages can put their books on their porch you can put your flyer up. We have God given rights in this country, one of which is freedom of speech.

Homeowners associations cannot limit the free speech and access to information of their members, period!! Why anyone would even want to live with those people is beyond me, but to each his own.

:usflag: :waving:

And as for living in them, that's beyond me too! I wouldn't be able to take someone telling me what to do with my own property!! I mean I can see having ordinances to keep your yard neat and no couch on the front porch but stupid stuff like having more than 2 cars or a work truck or a flag, etc is so stupid.. But that's besides the point.. You do make some good points about freedom of speech and the mailman delivering junkmail. I'm not looking to go door to door and bother people, I just want to put a simple flier which they can easily throw away with the other junk...

topsites
05-01-2006, 11:37 AM
The problem with mailing is, we're talking hundreds of houses. It's not one particular neighborhood or one street, it's a bunch of them.

Good tips.
Any suggestions on grass killing or winch use? :waving:

Oh well if you are mailing the stuff then there is no problem, I thought you were flyering / pamphleting by hand or on foot or via car. But no, if you are paying postage and stuff then they can not really complain, it's soliciting but you can always say you didn't see no sign because you're mailing it and besides they get other stuff in the mail, too... I really doubt you'd get the first complaint so long you're mailing.

For killing grass, I'd use Super concentrated round-up at a mix rate of 1.25 ounces of r/u per gallon of water.

topsites
05-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Evergreen

Is your phone number listed on the "national do not call list?" This is not an issue of free speech. You can advertise all you want. I also (as a potential customer) have the ability to ignore your advertisement.

Free speech or not, my number is listed on that registry for one simple reason:
I HATE it when someone calls me from the number that appears on my PAID advertising in a newspaper or phone book to sell stuff to me! Nothing frustrates me more than some cute salesdude thinking they're so smart tieing up my line by using a listing that costs me money and is intended for customers... It'd be a different story if my listing was free and they paid to send me an ad, but it's not the case.

But if they mail it to me, that's different because at least I can tolerate the fact they had to pay postage so it cost them money and I didn't have to pay for hearing it and that makes the whole difference to me, in my book.

LindblomRJ
05-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Okay topsites, I see your point there. I guess people will use door hangers, much to my chagrin.

ClayMcC
05-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Curious as to what you guys do in neighborhoods that have "No Soliciting" signs at the entrances? About 99% of the nice neighborhoods around here have them. Is it technically illegal to solicit in the neighborhoods?

In regard to "No Soliciting" and "No Trespassing" signs, a successful businessman I once knew told me that it all comes down to how you interpret the message. He made his point by telling me the following story:

Apparently, he and his friend loved to hunt (for what I don't remember). One time they were cruising country roads looking for a property to hunt on when they drove by a place that had dozens and dozens of homemade "No Trespassing," "No Hunting," "No Fishing," and other "NO! NO! NO!" signs. Respecting the message, they continued on their way.
After a while, still without a place to park and hunt, and rapidly losing the light of day, he turned to his friend and said, "Let's go back to that farm that had all the No Trespassing signs posted."
They turned around, drove up the driveway, got out of the car and knocked on the door. The property owner answered, and after being asked if they could hunt on his property, the owner replied, "Sure, go ahead."
Later, the friend asked him how he knew that the property owner would let them hunt? He said, "It was just a gut feeling... I figured anybody who posts that many signs... obviously has difficulty saying the word, "No."

chriscraft
05-01-2006, 09:16 PM

Good tips.

Any suggestions on grass killing or winch use? :waving: Get a bulk mail permit and mail them then , it"s way more professional than sticking a flyer in a door. I am constantly picking up flyers on my yards littered all over. It"s irritating and &^^%$%$$%& me off. I find them on my lawn also, not just lawn flyers but every kind, i just throw them in the trash, or call them and ask why they are throwing litter on my lawn