PDA

View Full Version : Returning the calls

Jpocket
04-30-2006, 09:47 PM
What do you guys do when you can't return all the phone calls you get during the day. Im a the point where my route is full, and I can't get back to EVERYone, only the ones I choose to. Im mean I feel like some of these ppl. are potential customers I may want to have in the future. I always wonder "three years from now will they remeber that I ddin't return their call?"

I'd say atleast 20% of the calls I get are "junk calls" , I just want a clean-up, or I want my grass cut just once, or the ppl. that live in a bad neighborhood.

Do you older guys think they remeber a year or two later? My experience is that ppl just open up the phone book and randomly call the numbers, not exactly sure WHO they are calling.

Jpocket
04-30-2006, 10:39 PM

LawnsRUsInc.
04-30-2006, 10:49 PM
i had the same issue and to correct that i hired a full time sales person!! He is doing great so far. If not try to get a college student to return calls or a secretary?

Jason

olderthandirt
04-30-2006, 10:54 PM
easy and cheap way of doing it is to have your machine say that calls will be returned between the hrs of X & X please leave a detailed message so that we can be ready to help when we return your call.

The good ones will leave a message and wait, the price shoppers and others won't bother to leave a message. And you can screen who you want to call back

J&R Landscaping
04-30-2006, 11:03 PM
I ask all new customers to leave their address. I also indicate on my voice mail that if they call after 130pm, they will not here from me until the next business day. If they call on friday, they may not hear from me until monday.

Most of the customers who want it done, and are willing to pay don't mind waiting. If they can't wait for me, I don't want or need the business! JMO

sheshovel
04-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Yes Olderthan has a good way to do it..I would take that advice.

LawnTamer
05-01-2006, 02:02 AM
We used to have a phone person, then an answering service, I just do it myself now, the good ones who know and want your work will almost always leave a message and wait. I call people at night, why burn daylight on the phone?

Jpocket
05-01-2006, 07:22 PM
easy and cheap way of doing it is to have your machine say that calls will be returned between the hrs of X & X please leave a detailed message so that we can be ready to help when we return your call.

The good ones will leave a message and wait, the price shoppers and others won't bother to leave a message. And you can screen who you want to call back

Great idea! I might try it.

POPO4995
05-01-2006, 07:40 PM
I return all calls as quick as I can and I can usually tell if what type of customer they are......1 time thing, price shoppers, or long term customer. If they are something I dont want to deal with, I refer them to a different contractor.:dancing:

Lux Lawn
05-02-2006, 10:00 PM
What do you guys do when you can't return all the phone calls you get during the day. Im a the point where my route is full, and I can't get back to EVERYone, only the ones I choose to. Im mean I feel like some of these ppl. are potential customers I may want to have in the future. I always wonder "three years from now will they remeber that I ddin't return their call?"

I'd say atleast 20% of the calls I get are "junk calls" , I just want a clean-up, or I want my grass cut just once, or the ppl. that live in a bad neighborhood.

Do you older guys think they remeber a year or two later? My experience is that ppl just open up the phone book and randomly call the numbers, not exactly sure WHO they are calling.

At this time of year anyone who wants a one time cut or clean-up forget it...But I do call them back and explain to them we have to do our regular customers first.If they are someone who could be a potential customer then I make sure that I return there call.

Soupy
05-02-2006, 10:16 PM
The problem I run into sometimes is that when I do call back they are not home. This can go back and forth for days. For example I have been playing phone tag with our county board rep for 3 days now. He just called back at 7:09 pm and I got home and tried calling him back at 7:30 pm and missed him. I mentioned the phone tag on his machine this morning and his last call he said "your it", he did say he would be around at 9am tomorrow.

I'm trying to get a couple stop signs put in on my street to slow traffic at a 3 way near my house. We have a lot of kids in the immediate area and one was killed awhile back. Hopefully this game of phone tag will pay off.

This game normally doesn't last as long with potential customers though and that can be a problem.