PDA

View Full Version : crazy spring

greenworldh20
04-30-2006, 09:00 PM
what does everyone do when you are booked for 2 weeks with openings and you have new clients screaming at you that they need the system on yesterday?

i think i am having my fill of angry clients...why can't everyone plan ahead and schedule the appointment early, like we tell them every year???

well, i think i'm off to see my shrink now.

brian:hammerhead:

DanaMac
04-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Ahhhhh......... welcome to mine and Tony's world Brian. We had an unusually hot, dry, windy spring. 80+ degrees in April, and then these cold fronts to screw it all up. I am pushing new clients 3 weeks. And they are still taking the appointments. Everyone was screaming that their lawn was burning up. No it's not. It's still brown and dormant because it is April and Kentucky bluegrass sod at 6500' of elevation.

Here is my great analogy. If your car (or in our cases here, trucks) breaks down, you don't just skip going to work for 2-3 weeks until it is fixed. You find another way - borrow, rent, bus, carpool, walk, bike, etc. If your sprinkler system is not working, you find another way to water. Hose and above ground sprinkler for 1-3 weeks won't kill anybody. Today was my 4th Sunday in a row working, and it is my last. I am so fed up with idiots.

BSME
04-30-2006, 09:11 PM
well.... like today... I work until 9pm on a Sunday...

I don't even know if I could ask a service guy to work at my home until dark.... jerks

if anyone finds out how to hire people for two months a year during the busy season let me know please

....stressed...

DanaMac
04-30-2006, 09:18 PM
I hear ya BSME, It takes a toll on us and our families in seasonal businesses. I'm sure farmers and ranchers are the same way. I have gotten pissy with a few customers already, i had my tech walk off one job as the old lady was staring and yelling at him while he left, lost a few customers due to being 2-3 weeks out or showing up late.

I did stop at 2:00 today though. I am at my breaking point. Good news is that the phone has barely rung at all this weekend, and I still haven't heard form the one property management company. They probably got a hold of SprinklerGuy Tony!!!! If they go with someone else, my world just got a lot easier to handle.

lawncare18
04-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Are you guys this busy doing new systems or opening/ service calls? Glad to see everyone is having such a good year...

sheshovel
04-30-2006, 10:24 PM
OH they are just doing start up services...
Gosh you guys!Smile and be happy you all knew this was commin..
same thing every year whatta you guys crying about?
Business means $$$ and that is a good thing!..get help..go faster..or give some work away........Sorry to say this but I have no sympathy for people who are booked!
Buck it up boys and put those balls to the wall!!!!!!!!!!GO!GO!GO!!!!!:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

SprinklerGuy
04-30-2006, 10:37 PM
If I could learn to say no it would be much easier on me..but I am greedy....and that gets me into trouble. I have had some cancellations due to them not being able to wait....that used to make me mad..now I'm happy when they cancel....my day just freed up tomorrow...went from 5 appointments and 4 "anytimes" to just one scheduled appt and 4 "anytimes"....what a relief.

I have been in business since 1993 and have had this problem since season #1 and I still do not have a clue how to handle it. I think it is a mental problem actually....I admit it...I am mental. I complain when I'm busy, I complain when I'm slow....

I have 8 bids to do this week also....1 5 zone system to install next week and 1 small system w/ 450 sq ft of sod to install this week....and it is supposed to warm up again..so the phone will ring off the hook. Oh yeah, and all the extras to go do that I found when doing startups....that list isn't short either.

My balls are to the wall already and I love it....but I think I love to complain and moan and groan also...

sheshovel
04-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Didja like my little pep talk anyway?

BSME
04-30-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm busy because of startups not new installs... I'm actually feeling pretty lucky I'm less than 10% this year on estimates for new installs.... unless all the bids from the last 2-3 weeks decide to call and accept... then i'm screwed...

I have the same problem as sprinklerguy I think... can't say no... I tried to leave Sunday off so that I could have a break and catch up but as people call (especially current customers) I can't help but start filling it up... I eventually worked a full day.

my last apt ended at like 7 when the neighbor walked up and asked if I could turn him on and fix a mist head. by 9pm (it got too dark) I had fixed three rotors, three mists, fixed a leak and some other misc.... I still have to go back to figure out why zone 3 isn't coming on...

It's now 11:15 and I haven't even started the billing for the last 4 days ...

I know Sheshovel, I'm lucky to be busy... but I wish I could figure out a way for it to be more consistent over the year...

SprinklerGuy
04-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Move to Arizona.....

Wet_Boots
04-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Or move to Florida.

"They came for the humidity. They stayed for the fire ants."

BSME
04-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Move to Arizona.....

haha... I'd be out of my element...

but I also need someone to teach me how to schedule for spring turn ons... there is no average time spent at a house.... it ranges for me every day from 30 minutes to 3 hours

sheshovel
04-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Well consistancy and irrigation do not go hand in hand unless of course you sell installs all the time..and that is seasonal just like the all rest of the Green Industry work.
Well unless you live in the West.

DanaMac
05-01-2006, 08:12 AM
OH they are just doing start up services...
Gosh you guys!Smile and be happy you all knew this was commin..
same thing every year whatta you guys crying about?
Business means $$$ and that is a good thing!..get help..go faster..or give some work away........Sorry to say this but I have no sympathy for people who are booked!
Buck it up boys and put those balls to the wall!!!!!!!!!!GO!GO!GO!!!!!:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Would you just let us b!tch and moan a little bit. We're not asking for your sympathy, just a place to vent so we don't piss off the wives and kids any more than we are because we're never home or making them answer the phones and be the bad guy that tells people we can't help them immediately.

DanaMac
05-01-2006, 08:17 AM
what does everyone do when you are booked for 2 weeks with openings and you have new clients screaming at you that they need the system on yesterday?

To answer your first question, no good answer. I tell newbies that we are booked 3-4 weeks right now, and existing 1.5-2.5 weeks. Then I explain to newbies that existing clients take priority, and if they were an existing client they would feel the same way. I've sent calls to SprinklerGuy and he couldn't help any sooner. Last year this time we had more rain which slowed the calls enough to be more manageable.

You'll get through it Brian, just like always. :)

sheshovel
05-01-2006, 02:08 PM
OH OK then bit..ch away.Vent-let it all out ya big whussies!JK!!!!