PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, need professional opinion on sprinkler heads

jingles
04-30-2006, 10:59 PM
I need some pros opinion on rotor heads for my system. I have to replace about six of them. Each head will be about 16 feet a part. I have narrowed it down to these two. Any one better than the other?
http://www.nelsonturf.com/products/model.cfm?MODEL=8
http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/products/rotors/5000series.htm

Dirty Water
04-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Nelson is down by Toro in my book. Good for the service guy though :D

Rainbird had some trouble with the 5000 series when they first launched, but from what I hear they have them straightened out now.

My question, is why use two slightly questionable heads when you can (for the same price) use the industry leader and standard for the last twenty years?

The Hunter PGP (http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Rotors/pgpintro.html)

The majority of the PGP's I replace have been in the ground for over 20 years.

SprinklerGuy
04-30-2006, 11:39 PM
If they are only 16 feet apart use RB 3500's.....

Can't argue w/ the PGP...except I have been using the 5000 this season and love the rain curtain nozzles....

Wet_Boots
04-30-2006, 11:55 PM
The majority of the PGP's I replace have been in the ground for over 20 years.Still pulling out the original 'series 075' fixed-arc rotors? I haven't seen one in a very long time. I don't expect a PGP to reach age twenty. Seems they quit turning by then. Still, a system with them runs trouble-free through the guarantee period, and years beyond that. Not sure I'd say the same for Rainbird, unless it's their R-50 ball drive rotors, on clean water.

jingles
04-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks Sprinkler and dirty water. I will checkout the Hunters... The rainbird 3500 have a half inch female inlet I believe. My male connections are 3/4 inch. I did see the rain curtain nozzle in action, its nice. On a side note, what was originally installed where Toro, what crap. The valves, the heads, etc. Nelson is down by Toro in my book. Good for the service guy though :D

Rainbird had some trouble with the 5000 series when they first launched, but from what I hear they have them straightened out now.

My question, is why use two slightly questionable heads when you can (for the same price) use the industry leader and standard for the last twenty years?

The Hunter PGP (http://www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Rotors/pgpintro.html)

The majority of the PGP's I replace have been in the ground for over 20 years.

Dirty Water
05-01-2006, 12:15 AM
The ones I most commonly replace don't say PGP, they just say "G series"...I'm assuming these are from the mid 80's...?

Wet_Boots
05-01-2006, 12:20 AM
G-series would be mid-late 80's, I think. There was also the 'Professional' series, which I think came right on the heels of the fixed-arc Series 075s. I did install some systems with the fixed-arc Hunters, which were a bit more reliable at lower pressures, when it came to the reversing mechanism.

DarkLotus
05-01-2006, 06:45 AM
Agreed!!! I feel Nelson is on the same boat with Toro. I feel that the PGP is over-rated. If you want to talk about a bad ass Hunter head, the I20 is that one! I do feel that the 5004's are the best bang for the buck! Awesome spray, reliable (now x) ) and easy to use. You can use the 5004PC with a 1.5 gpm noz and do fine.

Ever think about using MP Rotators? I read that you have 3/4" MPT, so they would have to be adapted since they fit on a mist body.

I don't know how many of you can say the same, but there has to be over ten million Super 600's in North Jersey alone! We don't have an easy replacement that would fit w/out digging, except the MP Rotators..

Whichever route you decide, good luck and keep us updated!

jingles
05-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the info, looks like I have some more research to do before buying. I am trying to avoid getting stuck with the problems I had with Toro heads. While they worked OK, they did a lousy overall job. Guess my original installer used the cheapest stuff he could find. But maybe in 1990, the toro stuff was cutting edge, hmm, maybe not. Agreed!!! I feel Nelson is on the same boat with Toro. I feel that the PGP is over-rated. If you want to talk about a bad ass Hunter head, the I20 is that one! I do feel that the 5004's are the best bang for the buck! Awesome spray, reliable (now x) ) and easy to use. You can use the 5004PC with a 1.5 gpm noz and do fine.

Ever think about using MP Rotators? I read that you have 3/4" MPT, so they would have to be adapted since they fit on a mist body.

I don't know how many of you can say the same, but there has to be over ten million Super 600's in North Jersey alone! We don't have an easy replacement that would fit w/out digging, except the MP Rotators..

Whichever route you decide, good luck and keep us updated!

DanaMac
05-01-2006, 09:48 AM
RB 5000 and Hunter PGP would be my recommendation. But for the distance, 16', the RB 3500 might be better. Sure, you'd need to adapt the inlet size, but that is easy and you sound like you want it done right.

PurpHaze
05-01-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't know how many of you can say the same, but there has to be over ten million Super 600's in North Jersey alone! We don't have an easy replacement that would fit w/out digging, except the MP Rotators.

We still have many Super 600s working on our sites. When they finally go bad we replace them with Hunter I-20s with SS risers.

jingles
05-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks, I am leaning toward the 5000. I guess with the 3500 I could use adapters to get the size down to 1/2 inch. I really like the rain curtain effect. My old toros looked like they were simply putting out a stream. Though I could adjust them to produce a sort of mist, they just didn't do a go job. I want to avoid that if possible, thus the reason I like the rain curtain thing. RB 5000 and Hunter PGP would be my recommendation. But for the distance, 16', the RB 3500 might be better. Sure, you'd need to adapt the inlet size, but that is easy and you sound like you want it done right.