PDA

View Full Version : hello help me

paul3251
05-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Ok i have been in lawn service for 6 years now.but i think i wanna try and see if i can make it on my own,well i know i can but i need accounts.i just bought 36",and 52" walkbehind for now.i have a blower weed whip ,truck trailer etc.what should i do next.account wise.i prolly shouldn't try to under bid customers that my old bosses had should i.please help .

topsites
05-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Ok i have been in lawn service for 6 years now.but i think i wanna try and see if i can make it on my own,well i know i can but i need accounts.i just bought 36",and 52" walkbehind for now.i have a blower weed whip ,truck trailer etc.what should i do next.account wise.i prolly shouldn't try to under bid customers that my old bosses had should i.please help .

The best advice I can give you is always be honest and upfront and so no, backhanded or underhanded or any kind of low down tactic is just a really bad idea because what goes around always comes around so it will come back on you and you will pay for dirty deeds one way or the other.

I would recommend a newspaper ad, nothing real big but if you can do better than the classifieds that would help, also check small local papers if you live in a big town, staying away from the BIG paper may work better - don't put all your eggs in one basket, advertise for a week or so and see how it goes but be ready to go longer if it works, you'd want to run it until you got slightly more work than you can finish, then stop. <- If the first paper don't do squat, try another: As a rule, you should get 1 phonecall for between every 10 to 40 dollars spent, but it does vary but if you spend 500 dollars and get 0 calls, something is wrong if you get my drift.

As an idea of how long you should run the ad, I run mine from mid-march to end may FT, then EOW through June but some guys run theirs year-round, it's all in how you wish to do things but as you can see, several months is good.

FT: Full Tilt
EOW: Every Other Week :)

Prestige-Lawncare
05-01-2006, 12:11 AM
No ... don't try to take your old bosses accounts by under-bidding him on those properties. In fact ... you want to stay on good terms with your old boss if you can. He may pass along some work from time to time ... this is called networking. Networking is something you want to do, not only with other LCO's .. but with people who do other work that you may not want to do, but some of your customers may want from time to time.

Once you get started on a few accounts ... if your work is good, and you are reliable about servicing your customers on a timely and regular basis .. you'll make it.

DO NOT UNDERCUT YOUR OLD BOSS.
It's better to have no business .. then to have bad business.

paul3251
05-01-2006, 12:20 AM
ok guys,i really didnt want do that.so i wont.now my work is great i think,i was a crew leader for 3 years for commercial lawncare.i've always wanted to have my own lawncare.i love the work,just never had the money.so now i am slowly buying stuff to see how it goes from here,cause lets face between gas prices and our economy its gonna be hard.so thanks guys

Gene $immons
05-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Try to find a few estates to work at. These pay good and you will not have so many lawns to deal with. Shoot for the larger estate properties.

paul3251
05-01-2006, 12:46 AM
we have alot of trailer parks around.the old company i worked for charged 15 bucks and the trailer parks charged the homeowner another 20$.but i found when i was mowing ,i had alot of people asking if i could do theres,and i would say yes for 20 bucks.i made a killing while working.so i m thinking of putting flyers on the board at the front of the trailer parks,but charging 10 or 15$it's only a 10 minute cut trim and blow off.is this good?

grassmasterdawn
05-01-2006, 10:22 PM
$10-$15 per lot at a trailer park is what most people that I know charge, UNLESS it is a really trashy park where you might have to spend a lot of time picking up dog crap and soda cans...then you just might want to skip it altogether.

paul3251
05-02-2006, 01:47 PM
there clean lots.well thanks for the advice guys.until next time.