PDA

View Full Version : What to charge?

cessnasovereign
05-01-2006, 12:24 AM
A customer wants 25 bails of pine needles spread out ($100 for the bails so the estimate is just for labor) and about 8-10 bushes shaped up, very minimal trimming on those, mainly just getting maybe 15-20 scragly branches cut off, plus a nice edge put one 3 beds about 20 feet around each.
How much would you charge just for labor?

I'm thinking $2 a bail, plus $25 fortthe edge$25 for the trimming for a total of $100.. I'm really looking for a good price for them, because it's a family friend who lost her husband and they're trying to sell the house.

CBramble
05-01-2006, 04:33 PM
How long is it gonna take you?

All_Clear
05-01-2006, 04:52 PM
How long is it gonna take you?

If they knew that they probably wouldn't be asking. If it's just labor charge, then estimate the number of hours and charge whatever your hourly going rate is. (your really going to have to guess) If it's not that big of a deal since it's a family friend then treat yourself fair when estimating the number of hours and if you come in low or high it will be a good learning experience for the next estimate that counts.
The only real way to get good at estimating is to do some jobs, work a steady pace and see where you fall.

I personally think your low... for example:
60 ft of edging = $25 (I've seen $.75 to $1.50 per ft.)
Your only charging like $.32 a ft.

I understand your helping someone out but don't work for free.

All Clear

cessnasovereign
05-01-2006, 10:13 PM
I charged $95 for labor. It took 3 hours, not working full speed. Shaping the bushes only took about 10 minutes, the rest was those damn pine needles! I have a slipped disk from a wreck so it took me a while and it was a b!tch. :) I think I'll stick to mulch.

But if that was just a normal person, I would have probably charged $135 for labor.