PDA

View Full Version : First (relatively) large sod bid

Thirdpete
05-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Here's the story...
320 Rolls of sod (10 square foot rolls)
3 yards of dirt (to pitch the lawn away from his back patio, which currently sits about 3 inches above the existing lawn.he wants the turf to line up with the patio, more or less).
All the peat moss and starter fert necessary for this job.
The back has to be tilled and raked, then smoothed out. The front, a sod cutter can be used because the existing turf isn't horrible but for continuity purposes, they want all new grass.

I figured, with three guys, all the tilling, raking, removal of old grass, grading of new topsoil could be done in three days. The sod could be installed in another day, and a final clean up of the property (sweeping, checking corners, washing off sidewalks, etc) would take another few hours on a fifth day.

Your price?

Mine is 4,945. That's about 300/day labor per guy (37.5 an hour at a standard 8 hour day) plus materials.

Am I right as far as the total time the job would take? If so, how long would this normally take?

mdb landscaping
05-01-2006, 06:34 PM
well i dont know what you have for equipment.......but for what its worth we just did a 3,200 square foot sod job.......removed the old lawn, installed 26 yards of topsoil and sodded it. it took a day and a half with 4 guys.

Thirdpete
05-01-2006, 07:02 PM
rototiller, sod cutter, wheel barrows, rakes, etc. Half ton pickup, 6x12 open trailer with racks and such. that's equipment.

I was thinking of renting a bobcat with a soil conditioner and doing that part of the work myself and then doing the sod after all that is done.

Thirdpete
05-02-2006, 10:03 PM
And what did you charge?