PDA

View Full Version : mtd strikes again - oh yeah, not happy with jd 717 either

Brendan Smith
05-01-2006, 09:40 AM
first yard of my route saturday, both of the hydraulic pumps quit on my cub rzt 50. before the flaming starts, i know its residential, but i only had 3000 when i got it and did not have a way to get more. anyway, the thing has 150 hours on it and i'm pretty sure the warranty expired last week (i'll find out later today). so i deal with it for the day, get to the last yard using my partner's jd 717, and somehow the hydro pump belt on it gets twisted and smokes the belt. we had to finish the yard with our trimmers. thank god it is not a showpiece yard. anyway, the jd won't move and we attempt to push it onto the trailer. that thing is HEAVY!!! we get it up to the threshold of the
trailer, and run out of strength. ended up getting it on by hooking two ratchet straps to it and using them as a come-a-long. i am dreading hearing about the cost of the pumps, as i'm pretty broke right now (had to pay my son's tuition last week). thank god a friend told me i could use his rider until i get something done with mine, otherwise i'd be out of business.
my point to all this is to let people know that buying residential quality equipment DOES NOT PAY NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES. if i had it to do over again, i would have put the 3k into a used laser z or a walkbehind. DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS ME!! "i only cut a few yards a week, it's a part time thing", etc. doesn't matter! buy commercial stuff no matter what.
sorry for the long post, but hopefully my tale of woe will convince someone to make a better decision than i did.

ps - anyone know where i can get cub cadet parts online? if my dealer won't help me, which i doubt, i'll fix it myself.:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Remsen1
05-01-2006, 10:06 AM
I agree, and if I may add... Having a backup (or access to one) is a necesity even if you have commercial equipment. Remember the rule 3 is 2, 2 is 1, and 1 is none; this applies to the essential equipment.

Brendan Smith
05-01-2006, 12:34 PM
UPDATE - just dropped it off at dealer, come to find out hydro pump belt was twisted at the forward most pulley but not noticeable unless you really looked close. i feel like a total bonehead for not catching it. guess i was so frustrated, i didn't take my time when looking to begin with. but i still stand by my earlier comments about buying commercial grade equipment!! live and learn i guess. still a relief knowing i don't have to buy hydro pumps :)

daveintoledo
05-01-2006, 03:50 PM
i, and otheres todl you not to buy that mower, for a homowner, you have 2 years worth of mowing on it... for an lco, two months.... get rid of it while you can......

look at the tank m50..... nice mower, not as heavy as some... 4999.00 it is commercial grade, no matter what anyone here said....

Brendan Smith
05-01-2006, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=daveintoledo]i, and otheres todl you not to buy that mower, for a homowner, you have 2 years worth of mowing on it... for an lco, two months.... get rid of it while you can......

QUOTE]
no you didn't, i hadn't even discovered this site when i bought it last year. maybe you told someone else and confused them with me

daveintoledo
05-01-2006, 06:40 PM
i did have this discussion with someone else...:)

but i know how it is, its hard to come up with 7 or 8 grand for a good z..... i did get the toro 450 z, but i almost wasnt able too....

there are a couple of good options available for just a little more then you spent.... but are commercial mowers buy every sence of the word..but may have a couple of shortcomings...

the toro 400 estate series...4999.99 great mower, commercial warranty, 7 gague steal side fabricated desk... 19 horse motor that i think was a little underpowered...

or as i mentioned the tank m50, some say it isnt commercial, it does have a thinner stamped deck not fabricated, and the intigrated drive system has been changed, i dont know if they are truly independent drives...but there are two pumps and filters..... so maybe.
but it does have a 23 horse motor, much stronger..

i picked one up from a local dealer, it was his, he used it at home, 40 hours, 2000.00.. for the wife to use and as a backup..he personally guaranteed the deck ( if it failed he would fix it) and the same with the hydros...and it included the warrenty

look around and see what you can find... a good used commercial model can be found too..... the homeowners stuff just doesnt hold up...:)

Brendan Smith
05-02-2006, 10:46 AM
i did have this discussion with someone else...:)

but i know how it is, its hard to come up with 7 or 8 grand for a good z..... i did get the toro 450 z, but i almost wasnt able too....

there are a couple of good options available for just a little more then you spent.... but are commercial mowers buy every sence of the word..but may have a couple of shortcomings...

the toro 400 estate series...4999.99 great mower, commercial warranty, 7 gague steal side fabricated desk... 19 horse motor that i think was a little underpowered...

or as i mentioned the tank m50, some say it isnt commercial, it does have a thinner stamped deck not fabricated, and the intigrated drive system has been changed, i dont know if they are truly independent drives...but there are two pumps and filters..... so maybe.
but it does have a 23 horse motor, much stronger..

i picked one up from a local dealer, it was his, he used it at home, 40 hours, 2000.00.. for the wife to use and as a backup..he personally guaranteed the deck ( if it failed he would fix it) and the same with the hydros...and it included the warrenty

look around and see what you can find... a good used commercial model can be found too..... the homeowners stuff just doesnt hold up...:)
this mornig i sopped and looked at grasshopper 223 models, like the mower (not the paint, but the construction is solid and that's what matters). i have a friend who has 2 of them and swears they are great. i think if i can ge a few grand saved this summer, i'm going to put it down on one and finance the rest. at least my p.o.s. cub is running again so i can stay in business, which in turn means my kid's tuition will be paid for next year....

jpicciu
05-02-2006, 04:32 PM
If you're looking to upgrade, I would recommend the Cub M60 Tank. It'll cost more, but it is just solid all around. Took me a while to get the hang of turning it the way I wanted to, but the thing is worth its weight in gold in my opinion. Never used the M50 model, but I can say for sure that the M60 makes me happy.

I've seen some people who aren't fond of Cub Commercial products, but I'm pleased with them from my Tank, to my walk behind, to my weed trimmers.

jpicciu
05-02-2006, 04:36 PM
To add to this, I have used grasshoppers in the past, and I don't know if I would recommend them. The cut is just not as good as what my Tank gives me. I experienced just stupid problems with the grasshoppers all the time. About every other week something would need work on it, and while it was never serious work, it got really old working on it all the time. I will say that those things ride and turn like a dream though. Total control when you're on those things. But the cut was not as good in my opinion and just a lot of minor problems with it. Just my thoughts.