PDA

View Full Version : New chainsaw

Joel B.
05-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Looking at Echo and Stihl. Is either one better than the other or is it six of one and half a dozen of the other? The saw won't be used a lot, maybe a cord or two per year.

Also, will either the Echo or Stihl use the same two cycle mix as an Echo blower and trimmer?

Thanks,

Joel B.

Rollacosta
05-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Doesn't matter what you buy the most important thing is learn how to use it properly,oh and do buy protective clothing and boots to go with it..:)

Rollacosta
05-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Go stihl or Husqvarna want more advice try the guys here www.masterblasterhome.com click forum or www.arboristsite.com plenty of usefull chainsaw info to be had from both forums..

6'7 330
05-01-2006, 05:32 PM
I have had great luck with stihl, both for commercial use, and for personal.I cut a lot of firewood for family use,and Stihl is one tough saw that has performed good.These saws, are not buy and use occasionally saws, they get heavy use, and have held up very good.

Jnamo
05-13-2006, 10:48 PM
A lot of the tree trimmers around here use Stihl. I got a deal on a used one (from a tree trim company) so you know it has been used a lot! Anyway, it cuts like a hot knife through butter and starts with max of 3 pulls everytime. It is an 039 and it is a hoss!!!! Bulletproof baby! Just talking about it makes me want to cut something! Good luck-Jeff

newtostone
11-17-2007, 03:50 AM
Husqvarna--They are great saws. I have 446xp? Dont recall the number but it starts with a 4. I am using the same mix as i do in all my Stihl trimmers and the Husqvarna bar oil. And dont be afriad to look like the fooL wearing the safelty gear. Just a few weeks ago i got my leg pretty good with the saw, it really gave it good to my chaps.. I only wonder what it would have looked like without them on. (top 3 rules. Never cut tired-Only cut with a sharp chain-Keep you chain on properly *not too tight-not too loose-) HAVE SOEM FUN AND LET UP KNOW WHAT YOU GET:walking:

Smallaxe
11-17-2007, 06:53 AM
If you are looking at occasional use the most important element is will it start reasonably well? Is it a comfortable fit? and is it cheap? My guess - Echo.
Having a stihl that sits around most of the time is kind of like sacrilige :)

Littletruck
11-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Echo = alot pf plastic.
Stihl home owner saws are not much better, I still give it to the Stihl. So if you find one that feels better in your hand then go for it, just DO NOT get a top handle saw. The lil MS180 can get you by without a big investment.

FWIW I prefer the Dolmar saws. Even there small saws are pro saws.

Lugnut
11-18-2007, 09:10 PM
I have both Stihl and Echo saws. Both saws are solid but the Echo is a little tempermental when it comes to starting at times. I have no complaints with the Sthil. As for the fuel, everything is a 50:1 mix, but I would use Stihl oil for everything.

Focal Point Landscapes
11-19-2007, 12:23 AM
All Stihl here , but Huskies are excellent also - Dolmar is a great saw , but no dealers where I live. Besides , Stihl matches all of my other equipment :)

huntemup
11-22-2007, 04:02 PM
stihl,my pro logger man wont use anything else.My 028 still cuts like crazy after 15 years of normal to hard use.

DBL
11-22-2007, 09:46 PM
stihl is the way to go...4 saws here and wont own anything else

LLandscaping
11-22-2007, 10:58 PM
We have four stihl saws for general use I like our 026 the best.

Littletruck
11-30-2007, 11:14 AM
I also have an 028...kinda heavy by todays standards. If you want the ultimate small saw shell out the $$ for the MS200 rear handle. That saw has huge crank bearings and it spins in the 20,000 + RPM range. But at $550 it is a spendy saw, but if you want a pro saw thats the one most pros use in the top handle version (MS200T)

jkingrph
11-30-2007, 02:05 PM
I cannot comment about other brands. I wore out a little Homelite chain saw and a Weedeater brand trimmer and replaced with Stihl, the chain saw being first. I think it is an 026 and have been using it for just shy 25 years.

It does not get heavy use but alwas starts and has plenty of power but is a bit heavy

Since starting with that brand and the good dealer support I have not considered anything else, my latest being one of the awsome BR600 backpack blowers.

All_Toro_4ME
11-30-2007, 02:19 PM
I have a Stihl chainsaw. I don't use it a lot except for firewood in the winter, but when I do, it always starts easily.Been happy so far. Stihl is known for their chainsaws. They can get pricey though. Since you said it won't be used all that much a small to medium model Echo might work well for you. Less price and still reliable. Are you wanting commercial or homeowner model?

B_gerrits
11-30-2007, 02:28 PM
I went with echo it's Ok but it seems to me all of echo's products are a bit underpowered Stihl is a much better saw.