PDA

View Full Version : What is a good first commercial blower?

Grass With Class
05-01-2006, 06:59 PM
I have been looking at Red Max, Stihl, and Shindaiwa but don't really know what to look for? Not sure what blowing speed i would need because i have never used a backpack blower before. Any input on good backpack blowers would be greatly appreciated.

6'7 330
05-01-2006, 07:11 PM
All the brands you mention are good blowers, and good equipment period. The air volume, or cfm is the main spec to look at. The three brands stack up well against each other.Parts availability and which has the better dealer support, might be the deciding factor.

POPO4995
05-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Dealer support is what I look for....I have Stihl handheld power equipment. My blower of choice is the BG65, which I have 3 of.:usflag:

Grass With Class
05-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Thank you guys, i will look and see what i can find out about each.

sildoc
05-02-2006, 12:58 AM
What ever you do buy the biggest blower you can afford. Stihl BR 600. Red Max 8000 and so on. The 200 more between the cheapest blower (quality) out there and the biggest baddest blower out there will end up making you 10 times the amount you spend on the bigger blower.

lawnspecialties
05-02-2006, 02:05 PM
All the brands you mention are good blowers, and good equipment period. The air volume, or cfm is the main spec to look at. The three brands stack up well against each other.Parts availability and which has the better dealer support, might be the deciding factor.

6'7 hit the nail on the head. Don't get caught up with mph claims. My air compressor has unbelieveable mph but would take all day on a property. Look at cfm's and when you compare, make sure it's out the tube and not without the tube. Happy shopping!:)

A1A Lawn Care
05-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Shindaiwa is what i use and they have all from low end to top of the line. I love mine and highly recommend them.

Grass With Class
05-02-2006, 11:38 PM
I really appreciate it guys!

dougmartin2003
05-03-2006, 12:28 AM
my ex girlfriend was a pretty good blower----- lord i apologize.. i have been looking at the redmax also but havnt mad up my mind yet

MuleCutter
05-03-2006, 12:32 AM
i'm a stihl and redmax guy. for me stihl has the best weight and enough power to be the best "all around" blower. i made a BR 400 out of some old pieces of 3 different blowers about 4 years ago. it's blows as hard as a new one and i love it .... but i have to admit... the redmax 8000 is the way to go for power. only drawback that i have for it is that its a bit heavy but it certainly does the job.

Killswitch
05-03-2006, 01:27 AM
One that starts every time you want it too.

Period.

All this talk about cfm's and air speed makes my pants baggy.

topsites
05-03-2006, 01:59 AM
6'7 hit the nail on the head. Don't get caught up with mph claims. My air compressor has unbelieveable mph but would take all day on a property. Look at cfm's and when you compare, make sure it's out the tube and not without the tube. Happy shopping!:)

I agree with both of you, it really truly is ALL about the CFM's! The more cfm's, the more it moves per minute, technically it's air but once you get into leaves, that's when you can really see the difference.

If money is an issue to the point where you must decide between a backpack or a handheld, get the backpack: You can use that for leaves as well, the handheld is great but it just doesn't have enough horses.

And once you're ready, you'll have to check out the 10hp billygoat pushblower and you ain't never in your life seen such awesome turbine force move leaves lol I cleaned up 5 or so cubic yards of PINE needles with it today, from a huge bed into the woods in about an hour and a half.

Killswitch
05-03-2006, 02:16 PM
lol....you dont measure those by cfm's. You measure "Thrust"

MowForLess
05-11-2006, 04:09 PM
All this blowing pushing and thrusting.......Thank god it is raining I can call the wife and tell her to put the little ones to bed early.

ed2hess
05-11-2006, 10:21 PM
The stihl BR420 is a rock solid true 2 cycle back pack that has been tried and pr oven. There is nothing new on this unit except the packaging has been improved over the years. This unit has adjustable carb on it and it is light weight. If your budget allow this is a winner...I am an Echo guy that couldn't pass on these units. The packaging is such that it will take a lot of abuses and the wiring stays in place. It has adjustable length tube with is handy.

maddiegirl
05-11-2006, 10:43 PM
homelite blowers are good

Dunn's
05-12-2006, 12:38 PM
What we use is an ECHO 260i backpack blower with the starting pull on the front so that we don't have to take it on and off everytime to start it. It has been very reliable. Here is a picture and all the information about it:

PB-260I

Easy starts are now routine without unmounting the unit for both commercial landscapers and homeowners. The Echo ii-start™ System reduces engine starting effort by 75 percent.

Echo’s powerful commercial-grade 25.4 cc
dual-ring piston engine for outstanding performance.
65 dB(A) at 50 ft per ANSI B175.2002 without sacrificing power.

Fully adjustable left hip-mounted throttle assembly with cruise control.

Padded backrest and easy-to-adjust shoulder straps for greater operator comfort.
Pro-Fire Electronic Ignition Standard

fulano
05-12-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm not a commercial grass cutter yet, just a home owner and I really like the stihl br600 I bought last year. It is a mad dog when it comes to blowing although it does seem to use a lot of fuel. It is also very comfortable.

sildoc
05-12-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm not a commercial grass cutter yet, just a home owner and I really like the stihl br600 I bought last year. It is a mad dog when it comes to blowing although it does seem to use a lot of fuel. It is also very comfortable.
Yes the Br 600 uses some fuel but the amount of work that it gets done compared to the amount of fuel used is far better than one thinks. It lasts me roughly 65 minutes when filled. This is straight blowing durring leaf season. Other than that I can almost make it through a week on a tank of fuel blowing hard surfaces.

mch181
05-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Shindaiwa is what i use and they have all from low end to top of the line. I love mine and highly recommend them.
yea i have echo products (the best mower shop around here only sells echo)
and they are comparable to shindawa i would say
all the real lawn care companys use echo and shindawa
ive had my blower for almost 2 years never had to maintane anything on it
i also have the echo srm210 wich is somewat under powered but for the work i do i dont need anything more
by the way i have the echo pb-603 (190mph i think) and its plenty
got it for $400 brand new and what i love abnout my shop is they arent like the home depot wich just gives u a box and exspects you to learn it all yourself (but most people can) but the mower shop here after your purchase they put some fuel in it and take the equipment outside to show you al the controls and stuff. id just go with a top end model from the best company support around you that you can afford (but for me i didnt want to spend a extra $100 for a few more ammeneties because im a youngster :cry: )

mch181
05-13-2006, 12:39 PM
homelite blowers are good
i would have to dissagree with you
i know of a company my mom uses to have them put in trees and bark etc.
they have a homelite 25cc blower and it has tape all around on it
i used to have a trimmer from them and i am sticking with echo i tell ya
the engine blew after a few months of BARELY ANY USE WITH THE RIGHT FFUEL MIXTURE! and then the cable drive thing snapped and then it started leakin crap
bad exspeirence there

Mike's Lawn & Snow
05-13-2006, 12:47 PM
homelite is exactly whats its name is to be used by homeowners and under light conditions they are not made for even the lightest commercial applications in my book they are complete junk.

GrassQuester
05-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Stihl:weightlifter:

lawnboy dan
05-13-2006, 08:05 PM
sthil br420!-perfect first blower

Jamesgateslandscaping
05-13-2006, 08:29 PM
REDMAX:weightlifter: REDMAX:usflag: REDMAX:hammerhead:
I love my redmax:rolleyes:
James

Jnamo
05-13-2006, 09:11 PM
I love Echo!

Homelite is crap, stay away from it. It is lite duty for even homeowners!

Jeff

killerwill34
05-14-2006, 11:11 AM
yea i have echo products (the best mower shop around here only sells echo)
and they are comparable to shindawa i would say
all the real lawn care companys use echo and shindawa
ive had my blower for almost 2 years never had to maintane anything on it
i also have the echo srm210 wich is somewat under powered but for the work i do i dont need anything more
by the way i have the echo pb-603 (190mph i think) and its plenty
got it for $400 brand new and what i love abnout my shop is they arent like the home depot wich just gives u a box and exspects you to learn it all yourself (but most people can) but the mower shop here after your purchase they put some fuel in it and take the equipment outside to show you al the controls and stuff. id just go with a top end model from the best company support around you that you can afford (but for me i didnt want to spend a extra $100 for a few more ammeneties because im a youngster :cry: )
I agree, go echo, all my power tools are echo, they work the best, just change the spark plug once a year and the things work like beasts.