PDA

View Full Version : I just read your letter

1MajorTom
05-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Got a call today from a customer who we service her Dad's property (she doesn't live around here). I answer, and she says, "I"ve been meaning to call you, I've had your letter sititing on the dining room table for awhile now, but I haven't had the time to call".
i'm thinking to myself, "great, a month into the season and she is going to call and cancel cause of the price increase". She says, "Please continue servicing my dads lawn, you guys do a great job, and I'm sorry I didn't call you sooner just to touch base with you." I said, "well we have been cutting his lawn for the past month, infact I just sent out the April invoice to you." She says, "oh ok, that's great, my dad has been sick, and everything has been so hectic lately, I haven't been able to remember half of what I should be remembering."

I guess my point is this, customers are just real people, they have real problems, and sometimes they have real life issues going on in their life that they aren't thinking about the grass. (hard to believe I know, but grass to a lot of people isn't their #1 priority).......Can't let the customer walk all over you, but I don't think every customer is out to screw the lawn guy and stiff the lawn guy for money. We have A LOT of good customers, how bout you?

Fantasy Lawns
05-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Very True .... fore those "business" owners in it fore the long haul .... we must have this understanding

grass-scapes
05-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Absolutely correct. Thats what Ive tried in other posts to explain to ...Well, You know who. Business owners who are understanding with their clients will fare better in the long run than the hard nosed ones, in my opinion.

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Got a call today from a customer who we service her Dad's property (she doesn't live around here). I answer, and she says, "I"ve been meaning to call you, I've had your letter sititing on the dining room table for awhile now, but I haven't had the time to call".
i'm thinking to myself, "great, a month into the season and she is going to call and cancel cause of the price increase". She says, "Please continue servicing my dads lawn, you guys do a great job, and I'm sorry I didn't call you sooner just to touch base with you." I said, "well we have been cutting his lawn for the past month, infact I just sent out the April invoice to you." She says, "oh ok, that's great, my dad has been sick, and everything has been so hectic lately, I haven't been able to remember half of what I should be remembering."

I guess my point is this, customers are just real people, they have real problems, and sometimes they have real life issues going on in their life that they aren't thinking about the grass. (hard to believe I know, but grass to a lot of people isn't their #1 priority).......Can't let the customer walk all over you, but I don't think every customer is out to screw the lawn guy and stiff the lawn guy for money. We have A LOT of good customers, how bout you?

Ooooooooooooo! BG ain't a gonna like this here. :usflag:

mulcahy mowing
05-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Business owners make the best customers!!!!!!!!:)

Envy Lawn Service
05-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Well... I 'tried' to convey a similar message here the other day in relation to seasonal homes, senior citizens, and customers with just a good general track record, ect.

But it seems that anymore, anytime I do something in 'good faith' thinking there might be some reason, I end up getting screwed and having to take additional measures to get my money.

It's a shame.

mike lane lawn care
05-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Business owners make the best customers!!!!!!!!:)
i'll vouch for this. i have a client who owns a very profitable book business, he is a bit picky but pays well and pays on time every time.

Roger
05-01-2006, 10:44 PM
The consumer public would be much better customers if they all had their own small business for 3 years - more time than just 6 months, enough to squeeze by, but long enough to taste of the ups/downs of running a business, dealing with customers, etc. For many, it would be an eye-opening experience.

Jodi is right -- grass cutting isn't the #1 priority on very many lists.

From how the posting started I thought it was going to be like one I had a couple of years ago. After three cuttings of a 1.3 acre property, the daughter who was managing her mother's property (mother in an assisted care home by now) calls. She tells me "we have decided to mow it ourselves this year." Her brother, who was living in the house with his family, was to mow it as part of his payment for living there. Why did they wait for three cuttings? They all saw I was there to mow, but nobody said anything -- even passed in the driveway. Yes, they paid the bill. The end is bittersweet - the son who was living in the house and was to do the mowing, died shortly thereafter (very young), and the daughter called me back to resume the mowing. NO, it was not the mowing that took his life!

1MajorTom
05-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Why did they wait for three cuttings? They all saw I was there to mow, but nobody said anything -- even passed in the driveway. Yes, they paid the bill.
Yep I just think some people are absentminded, and they just don't look at grass cutting from the perspective that we do. Nice to hear you got the account back, although I know it's not the way you would have chosen to get it back.

Envy Lawn Service
05-03-2006, 02:00 AM
Well, I am very happy to report that one of my BAD situations turned out in similar fashion with a positive ending. Well I say it was in similar fashion "according to the customer" but I believe the customer also had some additional motivation to iron out the situation.

But I don't care one way or the other. What happened in the end is better for both parties I think and I believe our doing business will run much more smoothly from now on. The protocol of our business relationship has been enhanced.

Protocol being the word I was looking for before to discribe how you go about making decisions in the absence of personal contact for unknown reasons.

bobbygedd
05-03-2006, 06:17 AM
and this could have easily worked out adversly. "i'm not paying that bill, i didn't authorize the work...." . guess what, I DON'T CARE if thier lives are hectic. i have to worry about my life, not thiers.