PDA

View Full Version : New sod netting - will it cut?

justgeorge
05-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm looking at a couple of installs that have new sod (installed late last fall). The sod is nicely rooted in, but it has the green netting under it as a backing. Will my plow blade cut it without ripping out the sod? I use a Ditch Witch 255sx, which does not have a sod cutting wheel in front of the blade.

Thanks,
George

sheshovel
05-01-2006, 08:02 PM
You should be fine..should cut right through it..your gonna rip the sod anyway if your useing a ditchwitch on it.

Dirty Water
05-01-2006, 08:28 PM
You should be fine..should cut right through it..your gonna rip the sod anyway if your useing a ditchwitch on it.

Spoken from the woman who's never touched a vibratory plow in her life.

George, before we got our 410 with the sodcutting wheel, we would use two guys when pulling on newer sod.

The trick is to have one guy operate the plow while the other guy uses a D-handled spade to cut the sod infront of the plow blade (Just keep whacking it in between the plow and the machine). This gives a cleanh cut to the netting and sod, and keeps from tearing the crap out of it.

Its was usually the new guys job to cut the sod, and on long pulls, the unlucky person would lose a pound or two in sweat :)

THe sod cutter on our 410 is truely the greatest thing ever invented....for the laborer :D

EDIT: You know, if you have a turfshark blade, it may cut it just fine as is, we never used those, but I hear they do a better job than regular blades on cutting turf cleanly.

justgeorge
05-01-2006, 09:50 PM
EDIT: You know, if you have a turfshark blade, it may cut it just fine as is, we never used those, but I hear they do a better job than regular blades on cutting turf cleanly.
Yeah, I do have the turfshark blade, but it's the netting I'm worried about cutting, the sod will be ok if the netting cuts. Not sure how long it takes for the netting to rot enough.

Thanks,
George

Dirty Water
05-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I do have the turfshark blade, but it's the netting I'm worried about cutting, the sod will be ok if the netting cuts. Not sure how long it takes for the netting to rot enough.

Thanks,
George

If you don't cut the netting, it tends to drag along and make a mess of the sod.

I'd try one pull and see how it goes, otherwise, a D-handled spade makes quick work of both sod and netting.

As far as rotting, I've just did a install with it, and the sod was laid over a decade ago.