PDA

View Full Version : Ever get the feeling you were being watched?

jpicciu
05-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Been mowing for a while, but have never done a group of condos. But I was called to mow a group of about 25 units this summer and took it because it seemed like a good fit. Every thing's been going real well thus far, fairly easy mowing, a ton of trimming but oh well, and making a decent pay day from it. But I realized one thing - there are a lot of people out there who HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO than just sit and watch me mow and just analyze the heck out of me. I have had no complaints, and actually a lot of compliments so I can't complain there. But these people will just never take their eyes off of me. Its kind of annoying. I realize that they are paying me, and I work for them, and that the customer is always right and all that jazz but do they have to make it so uncomfortable? Like I said, I do a good job and no complaints. I have made friends with the board members there and they are all nice. But I can't figure out why they make it so obvious that they are watching me. Me personally, I feel awkward if the cable guy comes to my house and takes 3 minutes to install something...I can't just sit around watch someone work. Just a pet peeve I guess.

I'm probably making it sound like I'm having a panic attack about it, but I'm really not. Its just annoying, but I am glad I have this account. I just felt like ranting. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

HOOLIE
05-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Yeah I have this customer, an African guy, and his mother is annoying as hell, still 5 years later she watches like a hawk...she's peering out the front, the back, the side windows, she comes out to "check the mailbox" and so on.

I guess that's her job? Maybe the son agreed to bring her over from Ghana in return for her making sure the lawn guy does his job? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hillndale
05-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Don't smoke so much before you mow, then you won't feel so paranoid :dizzy:

When your in the public eye, you are always under the potential for scrutiny. I keep that awareness whenever I'm on the job. Being solo, I know what's what, but I've seen employees doin all sorts of goofy stuff on the job & it could get you canned.

hillndale:headphones:

ProLawns
05-01-2006, 10:39 PM
I always work like i'm being watched just in case I am.

jpicciu
05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
I agree that we must act like we are being watched - because we might be watched. And I am not doing anything wrong, like I said I have been praised thus far. I guess I just wanted to see if you guys had any of the same thing happen with condos before because I've never mowed for a residential place like that where there's people all around.

And I don't smoke. Smoking's bad mmmmkay. You shouldn't smoke. :cool2:

sheshovel
05-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Well that is something your going to have to get used to.Me being a woman..am used to being watched..one time I had a cust who invited her whole garden club over to observe me work for several hours while the ate and partied outside on the patio.She had told me ahead of time so I was warned..diden't bother me..and I answered their questions too at the same time.Got paid xtra for it.
But really I am sssssure theey are not critiqeing everything you do..They just want to watch somebody work is all and they have every right to do it.Just try and pretend they are not there and do your thing..pretty soon it won't bug you any more.OH and if I am landscaping in the Older community..I get groups that put their CHAIRS in the road and sit and watch me work.!!I think it's great I love the attention and get a big kick out of it.

Flex-Deck
05-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Been mowing for a while, but have never done a group of condos. But I was called to mow a group of about 25 units this summer and took it because it seemed like a good fit. Every thing's been going real well thus far, fairly easy mowing, a ton of trimming but oh well, and making a decent pay day from it. But I realized one thing - there are a lot of people out there who HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO than just sit and watch me mow and just analyze the heck out of me. I have had no complaints, and actually a lot of compliments so I can't complain there. But these people will just never take their eyes off of me. Its kind of annoying. I realize that they are paying me, and I work for them, and that the customer is always right and all that jazz but do they have to make it so uncomfortable? Like I said, I do a good job and no complaints. I have made friends with the board members there and they are all nice. But I can't figure out why they make it so obvious that they are watching me. Me personally, I feel awkward if the cable guy comes to my house and takes 3 minutes to install something...I can't just sit around watch someone work. Just a pet peeve I guess.

I'm probably making it sound like I'm having a panic attack about it, but I'm really not. Its just annoying, but I am glad I have this account. I just felt like ranting. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I Love It when people watch me - It does not matter if it is the people hiring me or the ones that live there - They have never seen a mower system like ours, and they become inamorated as to how I can mow between stuff 30 inches apart, in behind stuff, around stuff with a 114 inch mower. When I get into ditches, steep banks, etc, it gets even better. I can contour mow a ditch better with a 114" deck than most 60" decks even dream of.

topsites
05-01-2006, 11:12 PM
I always work like i'm being watched just in case I am.

That's the best attitude to have, that's the way I work too and so it doesn't bother me if they're watching or not, it makes no difference.
Nowadays sometimes I wear tunes but even if I don't, I am so in my own world anyway.

deereman
05-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Yes I too have been watched by customers and the must annoying COMPETITION! That is what I hate that when the competition watches. I dont do it to them .............unless i'm in the wifes van or our other car.

Dashunde
05-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Yeah I have this customer, an African guy, and his mother is annoying as hell, still 5 years later she watches like a hawk...she's peering out the front, the back, the side windows...

I know a few dogs that do that! :laugh:

Tharrell
05-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Hey, You're a pro!!! Everybody likes to watch a pro! Some even pay money for the privilege. Ever pay to watch a baseball game or some other sport?
:weightlifter:

bwilder10h
05-02-2006, 11:28 AM
On the flip side of the coin, I love it when kids press their nose to the windows to watch. I was mowing this lawn last summer for a guy and everytime I would be there, his son would stand there and watch me like a hawk with this grin on his face. I finally got a chance to talk to him (I'm guessing he was 4) and asked him if he liked watching me buzz around his yard on the mower.... he got this huge smile on his face and said "YEAH!".

LawnTamer
05-02-2006, 12:00 PM
I have a client this year who literally follows us around watching everything we do. He has always mowed his own lawn, but can't because of a recent surgery. The first week he drove me nuts, when my trimmer ran out of line I headed for the truck to get a full spool, he waves me over and says I forgot to trim the back, it seems each time we come he gets more at ease with our work. Hopefully he will get to where he just stays out of the way:)

CoyteePrince
05-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Have you never stood & watched someone work a dozer, backhoe, grader or some other form of heavy equipment?

I'm not a commercial mower but as a residential homeowner, I own an industrial backhoe. I've had people watch me work and as I've watched them watch me, I reflected back to my days of enjoying watching someone else work on equipment.

Nothing personal about it at all.

upidstay
05-02-2006, 02:35 PM
They sound bored. They're home in the middle of the day with nothing better to do but watch the mowing guy. Must be nice. Stare back. Or say hello. They might be willing to part with a cold beverage on a hot day if you're nice. I had a little old lady who loved it when we came by to mow her neighbor's yard. She was old and lonely and was thrilled when we took 5 minutes out to talk to her.

Rev. Crabgrass
05-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I have noticed alot of old men like to watch any kind of work going on. No matter if it is me or the highway dept. I guess they are just bored and like to see equipment running. I kind of like when someone watches me work but I guess that is because I am a show off. Same reason I used to pop wheelies on my bike when when the girl across the street was outside.

REV.

mike lane lawn care
05-02-2006, 05:16 PM
i did the first mowing for a new customer and it scared the crap out of me, every time i turned around on the ridder, they were watching. and i was truely embarassed when the brand new 21" didn't start and had to use the tractor and trimmer for the small areas.

Lux Lawn
05-02-2006, 06:36 PM
People watch us all the time, our customers the neighbors...just goes to show you some people have nothing else to do during the day.

NNJLandman
05-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Sometime I cant stand it, when they stand over you, or jus kinda follow you around and watch you like a hawk, sometimes I dont mind, once i did a cleanup and this nice older lady was watching us do a cleanup out her window and she was so nice, she would talk about how nice a job we were doing, how nice the weather is getting out etc. and she was the neighbor. That I dont mind its the people who jus follow your every move. Kids can be funny too....they love watching us cut lawns, its jus the nasty neighbors who watch for you to sweat across that property line or trim along the fence etc.

Jeff

Lumberjack
05-02-2006, 08:06 PM
I can watch it all day

:jester:

SWD
05-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Yea, I get watched - most days
By my soon to be ex-wife - follows me around now better than my dog.
All others, just wave and say hello.

Jnamo
05-02-2006, 09:56 PM
I always try and focus on the ground and try to not look around. I know they are watching so I just try and do the best I can and not look up too much.
In and out, no time to see who's watching! Don't care-get a life/hobby

If they are oldsters looking for a quick conversation, I will throw them a bone if a have a few minutes...Some of them are a breath of fresh air (some!), make me laugh/realize that life is short, enjoy yourself.
Like I said before, usually just in and out though.

Loy's Home Services, LLC
05-02-2006, 11:30 PM
I have a large HOA contract that joins up to appr. 300 homes and it seems that every person that has sprinkler system on their property watches me hoping that I'm going to mow off a sprinkler head. I've been mowing it for two years now and never hit one yet! I mow it at 4". Maybee I'll hit one someday just to give them their satisfaction!:laugh: :clapping:

lawncarepros2004
05-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Come on get a little closer. Feel the wrath of of a pebble flying through the air at 100 mph. Dangerous around here. No lookie e loos alloud. The edger or trimmer could split your dome Mr. If you want to enjoy the experience as its happenning please do so from inside your home sir. I am used to plenty of spectators,so when it happens I don't stress but I tell em about the danger that follows me and if they want to watch they have been warned.

dKoester
05-03-2006, 12:02 AM
If they want to watch so much just get in your z and go in circles you will put them old people in a coma.

Duck Dodger
05-03-2006, 12:23 AM
I read in one of my wifes women mags that they find good looking men doing yardwork one of the sexiest things to watch. On the old people side I think they just like to think of the days when they were in your shoes young and the smell of fresh cut grass in the air. How many of you watch techs or other subs that come in your home. I used to help my bro in law lay carpet in the winter people can be right on top of you, just be glad you get to maove around and the machines are too loud to talk to them.

dKoester
05-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Yep I agree.

mike lane lawn care
05-03-2006, 09:32 PM
it's human nature, i had a computer tech come to my home to replace a monitor on my laptop, and i just watched over him, mostly because i know how to replace it myself and i want to make sure he does it right.