PDA

View Full Version : Told a 900$ a month account to stick it!!!!!

Blades of Steel
05-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Had a large dispute with a client today that we have only serviced 2 times and did a 2500$ clean-up on at the top of the season to stick and it.

It began with this looney tunes lady telling me not to park in the driveway. I told her I can not park in the street since it is only 20 feet wide and my trailer is approximately 9ft wide and it would be putting others in harms way. Then I told her that I couldn't park in the yard because we have had around 4" of rain in the past week and I didn't want to rut up the yard. She tells me.... Figure it out!!!!!

Then she goes on to tell me that the spring clean-up we did she isn't satisfied with the barn area. (I have to mention that this area was not part of the initial quote and was added in for free and it cost me a half day and 4 yards of mulch on the house). Anyway, she was complaining about the junipers that had wild strawberries and bermuda grass in them. I told her that her husband and i had already discussed them and that they would need to be treated by Southern Spray. He was fine with that and she continued for ten minutes to no avail. I then asked her to PLEASE be quiet so that I could explain myself. She then like to lost her damn mind....... (I may add that the second visit I made she chewed my butt for cutting down 3 trees that her HUSBAND told me to cut out.) So, I have had about enough of this butt chewing and told her, when her and her husband figured out the hell they actually need to let me know. I then told my guys to put the stuff on the trailer we are out of here.

Oh, i forgot to tell you..... I have to call 2 hours in advance so that she can take her 9 dogs out to crap all over the backyard before I get there.

It was tough but I had had it up to my ears with the butt chewing.

Damn waht a day...

Tim

rick2752
05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

promower
05-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Sounds more like a $900 wieght was lifted off your back.

Dashunde
05-01-2006, 11:17 PM
You let that go on a lot longer than I would have... Her stupid response to the parking problem + one more idiot comment and I'd have been outta there.

It always sux when the husband and wife are not on the same page.

Wayne Landscaping
05-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Yeah, i feel u on that one. SOmetimes, no matter how well they pay, its not worth it to put up with their bs, trust me, ull feel better about telling this lady to f$%@ herself.:hammerhead:

Damian
05-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Nine dogs? Did your shoes bark when you took them off at night? :eek:

Blades of Steel
05-01-2006, 11:27 PM
you know i feel much better that you guys feel the same.... I just could take that crap anymore. The only thing better would be smacking her in the chops.....

Blades of Steel
05-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Yeah Nine in the house, six in the 750,000$ barn with about 15 cats in a cate room to go with the 6 horses. What a freak. I think its nice that she takes in rescued dogs but damn.....

Dependable Mowing
05-01-2006, 11:34 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing. Some people just have to have something or someone to complain about....I don't understand it.

topsites
05-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Oh, i forgot to tell you..... I have to call 2 hours in advance so that she can take her 9 dogs out to crap all over the backyard before I get there.

That part right there is likely the only thing I would not tolerate, the rest of it comes with time. If they got the money and are not afraid to spend it, I don't bend over backwards thou really the problem is do I have to deal with the poop? If not, I probably could care less.

This appears to be a prime example of a yard that is just too nice, but in time I have learned how to deal with these folk (not all of them, mind you). These type of people are not afraid of me or how much it costs, and they don't care how it gets done except now.

For 900 a month, I'd be like ok and yes and ok again, block the street with the rig and thank you no problem ok and sure. Someone comes around crying about the rig, there's 11 feet of blacktop left and cars are only 6 feet wide so they got a berth wide enough to drive a boat through and deal with it. Then, submit the next bill a few hundred dollars over because I did this extra stuff and thanks again.

Did the tree get cut down by mistake? Ok, no problem.

That's how I get into these crazy things, folks spend a lot of money are wild to deal with and this is my first year I can deal with SOME of them, I ran from more than a few in my first four years and even today they can about make me crap my pants lol.

btw, don't leave your rake or a tool sitting in their driveway... folks like these get in a hurry and get into their car and drive right over your stuff lol I done had that happen to me but eventually I learned: They don't care and I don't care so long the place looks nice and the work is done, life is good.

Popper357
05-02-2006, 06:12 AM
Nice post, topsites! For a 900 a month account, poo or not, I'm there. As long as the checks clear, that is.

Charles
05-02-2006, 08:43 AM
You have got to learn to let it go in one ear and out the other. Never tell a customer to "be quiet". The good thing you did is not taking the blame for something you didn't do. Just defend yourself in a nice manner. Tell the customer to talk to her husband because you were only following instructions.
But you will soon find out who is the "boss" of the family. Husband tells you to do something and you say: "Lets see what your wife says first. Last time she chewed me out...." Its just a game with these crazy people. Play the game, keep your job and collect the check. Put up a cone and park in the road. You have to put up with a lot of bs from the public sometimes. Work on your customer relations skills. Yes mam, no mam and whatever you say mam and then get the check.
The calling ahead would be a problem for me too, but for 900$ I would find a way to deal with that. In my area it would take quite sometime to make up 900$ worth of yards with all the strong competition out there.

Tharrell
05-02-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm sorry but, I have to agree with Topsites. I let most of the stuff go like water rolls off a ducks back. I've been there with you before though. I let some go when I first started because I took some comments about my workmanship personal or the customer didn't understand what they were paying for. Then I figured out it's not what I like (stripes for example), It's all about what they like or want.
I decided if they pay what I want, I can tolerate their mental ******ation.

topsites
05-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Still one has to measure pita factor vs. money, there are some things money just can't buy and I will say I've had a few before that got on me the wrong way and big money or not, it was over. But, 900 a month lol like someone said that makes up for about 10 or more average accounts, that's heavy.

The only other bit I don't like is the part about having to call 2 hours in advance because there's a fair to good chance that will not work everytime and when it doesn't then you have to re-schedule the whole day around them. I would, however, have less of a problem calling the day before the schedule indicates their yard is on for tomorrow even thou I still don't like it, but it's doable.

I do hope we can all learn to tolerate at least those folk who are so willing to pay dearly for our services, now if you get a pita who also doesn't want to spend a lot, well then ...

The Grass Man
05-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Yeah, it is hard to say what I would do. I'm leaning towards telling her to get off of the back though.

The Grass Man
05-02-2006, 10:15 AM
It is hard to say what i'd do. I'm leaning towards telling her to get off of the back though.

bwilder10h
05-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Still one has to measure pita factor vs. money, there are some things money just can't buy and I will say I've had a few before that got on me the wrong way and big money or not, it was over.

That's the key. Wether it's a $30 1/3 acre yard or a $900 a month contract, if the customer makes your life hell servicing them, it's not worth it... regardless of the $$ amount.

Killswitch
05-02-2006, 03:00 PM

LOL....sorry man but that was funny.

David Haggerty
05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
I had a woman like that once. She's search my truck. Ask me what I was doing there. On and on. She had alzheimers. She's dead now. I'd been forewarned though. I didn't mind. Just kept on explaining...and explaining.
I still mow for her husband. 8 acre lawn.

Dave

LawnGuy73
05-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Been there before, I'd say your better this way.

sheshovel
05-02-2006, 04:58 PM
Well I would CALL the husband and tell him that hey..your wife is on my butt for everything I do..says I can't park in the driveway and yelled at me for cutting down those trees you told me to cut down.Now do I work for you or do I work for her..because I am only going to take instructions from one of you and if it is her..well then I can no longer service your property.If you can keep her under control I will work for you..but I can't play this he said she said game.And I will not tolerate being treated in the manner your wife treats me.

dkeisala
05-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Well I would CALL the husband and tell him that hey..your wife is on my butt for everything I do..says I can't park in the driveway and yelled at me for cutting down those trees you told me to cut down.Now do I work for you or do I work for her..because I am only going to take instructions from one of you and if it is her..well then I can no longer service your property.If you can keep her under control I will work for you..but I can't play this he said she said game.And I will not tolerate being treated in the manner your wife treats me.
Excellent idea. Sounds like your playing that "go ask you mom, go ask you dad game" with them. You're their service provider, not their 12 year old son.

NNJLandman
05-02-2006, 06:59 PM

THis part just made me crack the hell up.....after reading all that haha....shes crazy not worth the hassel, jus another person that goes through a landscaper a year and everyone wonders why. I had a customer or two like that...not worth it.

Jeff

Idealtim
05-02-2006, 09:28 PM
If your financially stable, thats the move I would have taken.

Jnamo
05-02-2006, 09:45 PM
I like what SheShovel said, talk it over with them, express what the problem is and let them figure it out. Give them a week to work it out and tell them yes or no on what they come back with. If your gonna quit it anyway, at least try and be diplomatic/professional about it. You may get what you want and be able to keep the customer. It is worth a try, eh??? Jeff

Jeds_Lawn_Care
05-02-2006, 09:57 PM
trust me, ull feel better about telling this lady to f$%@ herself.:hammerhead:

Sir,

I am a new member on Lawnsite.com. My name is Jed (jeds_lawn_care) and i'm 14 and I have a small biz (8 yards). I know you didn't use the exact wording, but your implication was just as bad as going ahead and using the f word. I know it can be very madnin' to have to deal w/ some people. I have had to put up w/ little bull, but the bull I HAVE had to put up w/ is missery!

I say all of this just to say, to you and whoever reads this, please keep it clean. I mean I love this site! But I hate to get on here and find a bunch of foul mouths who could have said the same thing w/ out use of an offensive word.

BTW, respect your elders (clients):)
Even if they are a pain, and even if you do drop them 5 minutes later.:dizzy: :dizzy:
It will atleast earn you a good reputation. I've been at it two years or so, and even I know that!:waving:

SPREAD GOOD WILL!

Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger"

Evergreenpros
05-02-2006, 10:29 PM
If I have to put up being yelled at to keep my job, I'll find another job.

And remember, every SECOND you work on a horrible person's property is one second wasted that could be used to find a GOOD customer!!!

Blades of Steel
05-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't posted anything out here in some time. I never had a chance to speak to the husband as for he is always out of town. I know why now.

Anyway, i am financially stable and it didn'thurt me to cut them loose. i refuse to work for people who make my life a hastle. She was a pain everytime we would show up (4 times in a row). Therfore, I had had enough. It is easy for some people here to say "as long as the check clears I'm there". However, I quit a substantial paying job in the corporate world because of being un happy with the day to day grind and dealing with people who couldn't make day to day decisions. I refuse to be spoke to like I'm a child. I have spent good time, money and education doing what I'm doing.

Take my advise............ Life is tooooooo short to be un-happy at anyones home when you provide a service for regardless of the amount of money.

Tim