PDA

View Full Version : Changing blades?

wildduck1520
05-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Sorry about the amateur question but, changing my blades and wondering what volt impact i need to make em' not move and line em up straight? First time;) ;) ;)

mowingtowing
05-01-2006, 10:55 PM
i assume that you are talking about cordless impacts when you say what "volt". I personaly use my 1/2" air impact for anything like that. Just so you know, my 18V dewalt 1/2" impact can take the blades off, but it takes a while. Consider a blade holder and a big breaker (sp?) bar. That will out do most any impact in my book....

wildduck1520
05-01-2006, 10:59 PM
who carries em, i need to keep the blades straight when tightening, would air gun be best?

JTF40
05-01-2006, 11:17 PM
who carries em, i need to keep the blades straight when tightening, would air gun be best?

Absolutely !!:usflag:

wildduck1520
05-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Where do i get a good blade holder? Thanx-

topsites
05-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Here's how I did it all of last year when I lost the use of POWER tools but warning you need to be careful or you can hurt yourself, anyway:

First, pre-assemble all 3 blades however they are for your mower, in my case it's blade bolt + washer + blade + 4 spacers on the bottom but yours might be different but you want to pre-assemble all 3 like that and set them beside the machine with the bolt pointing up.

Set the deck up on a jackstand, grab a pre-assembled blade and bolt with the washers and stuff with one hand and slide under and try to get it through the hole. Be careful not to HIT the deck too hard with your knee or whatever because it's only sitting on a jackstand, easy does it. Ok once you get it through the hole, hold it with that hand and with the other, drop the top washer onto the bolt and carefully thread the nut onto the bolt - Once threaded, keep threading until it's finger tight and now do the other blades this way.

Once you got all 3 blades like that, there are a couple ways to do this but both involve a BIG adjustable wrench and also a 1/2" socket wrench with a 5/8" or whatever size socket for the nut AND a breaker bar you can slide over the end of the socket wrench.
Method one:
Put the adjustable wrench on a TOP nut and somehow rest the wrench in such a way that some solid part of the mower holds it still for when you get ready for the bottom bolt. Then use the socket wrench on the bottom bolt and have this pre-assembled with the breaker bar and it is a trick to get it all on there but it's not that hard but it is a trick... Anyway, once you get it on there, tighten but NEVER use more than about 80 percent of your strength so should you slip you can catch yourself! Via this method you use both hands on the socket wrench and hope the adjustable wrench doesn't slip and again it is important NEVER use all of your strength or you can get hurt.

The other method is similar but you use your hands one on each wrench and tighten the nut + bolt as good as you can and again do not use all of your strength in case you slip, be careful and get it as tight as possible and that is all you can do. Yes you still need a breaker bar and I recommend an adjustable wrench for at least one end but always do your tightening motion with the hand that is holding the 1/2" socket wrench with the breaker bar and use the adjustable only for 'stop' leverage and so you put most of your effort into the socket wrench or try to.

The Wb, if the stuff is tight enough, the rotation of the blades and spindles works in such a way it will not loosen the stuff back up but you will find somedays the blade catches on something and arrrrggg it came loose so always carry the tools on your truck in case this happens.

I did this for over a year lol, doing it by hand works but it is a bit of a pita.

Dashunde
05-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Oh man... I almost fell asleep.

"but you will find somedays the blade catches on something and arrrrggg it came loose..." Uh... :laugh:

Duck... I run doubles (usually) and I simply hold them up where they belong, and run the bolt home with the electric impact - they need to be close, but perfection is not required.

HOOLIE
05-01-2006, 11:54 PM
I use two 15/16" wrenches to loosen. I have a torque wrench to tighten. Also 2 sections of tailpipe to slide over the wrenches if the blades won't loosen...

You need a blade holder? What kind of mower?

siclmn
05-02-2006, 12:05 AM
Just buy a cordless impact wrench. Spend about $200 and it will be a good one. No breaker bars No skinned knuckles No nothing. Just zip zip and your done.

wildduck1520
05-02-2006, 12:14 AM
What volt?

wildduck1520
05-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Supermini 52/23

siclmn
05-02-2006, 10:56 AM
What volt?
DeWALT 14.4 volt XR I think I spent more then $200 but this wrench rocks. It looks tiny, much smaller then a cordless drill yet it will do car wheels. It has a variable speed trigger that lets you gently spin the bolt in to the blade holder before it starts clicking. This is how you can get a feel for how tight you want it to go. No air hose to dick with always ready to use with 2 batteries. And I repeat, no breaker bars,blocks of wood, skinned knuckles, no nothin. Cry once and keep it forever.