PDA

View Full Version : How wet?

lawnprosteveo
05-01-2006, 11:37 PM
How wet does it have to be before you decide not to mow?

I think as long as youre not rutting up the yard or tracking it up... then its ok to mow.

What do you guys think?

mike lane lawn care
05-01-2006, 11:44 PM
if it's not currently raining.....out we go

Envy Lawn Service
05-01-2006, 11:46 PM
There is no such thing as too wet. But I don't get out when it's in the act of raining anymore unless it can't be avoided for some reason.

topsites
05-01-2006, 11:48 PM
To me, if the road is wet I don't work. Puddles? hmmm well I mean a puddle here or there whatever but if it's completely wet then I don't work. Reason I look at the road is because it can be hard to see it on turf.

In my case the main reason is if the drive-belt(s) for the Wb get wet it's all over, that stupid 300 pound machine will NOT move once the belts get wet so it doesn't have to be perfect dry and sunny but when it's soaking wet that just doesn't work. With a fixed deck the problem with ruts is far less than with a float because it's a much lighter machine, I can cut some wet stuff but the 2 drive belts...

If it HAS been raining and the sun comes out, I usually start the truck about the time the road is around halfway dry. Then by the time I get to the first yard it's still a bit of a pita but if the sun stays out the second one is easier and so on but you still have to be careful about tire spin lol

I MIGHT do mulch in the wet but the whole thing is I'm in no mood to catch a cold and I hate to say it but I work 7 days a week when it's nice outside so it comes the time RAIN is my only excuse to take time off lol so I gotta :sleeping: sometime

jpicciu
05-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Good question. I have wondered what others feel about this as well. Personally, I have mowed in the rain, provided that it is not prolonged, heavy downpour-type rain. As showers come and go, I just wait them out usually if I can. To be completely honest, I have not mowed a yard only about a handful of times due to rain. And those times it was darn wet and only a dingleberry would mow in it. Its like you said, as long as you don't leave ruts and you can turn and not deface the turf, you're fine. Its just a common sense deal I guess because, I feel that your mower will tell you if its too wet, whether its sliding around, tearing up grass, clumping the cut grass, etc.

Dashunde
05-01-2006, 11:59 PM
I dont mow in the rain.

I dont mow if the ground is too soft.

I will however, mow a old hard-packed yard that has well-rooted turf right after a rain. Those yards just hold up well, dont rut, and will actually cut very nicely.
If its fairly new, with sod - forget it.

Envy Lawn Service
05-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Topsites.... There is a solution for your belt slippage.... it's posted here on lawnsite somewhere.

Runner
05-02-2006, 05:26 AM
Belt dressing. But anyway, we use the same rule of thumb. generally, if the pavement is wet, we quit. This is when it just makes too much of a mess. his is when you will see the clumping that can get ground down into the turf and have the consistency of spinach. It makes more of a mess than it's worth. If I gotta come back and clean it up, I'm just going to wait and do it right the first time.

dfor
05-02-2006, 06:05 AM
It depends what the forecast ahead of me looks like. I do not like being behind. I'll cut in light showers all day long if I have to, and try to avoid the ones that will rut.

MOW ED
05-02-2006, 06:20 AM
It depends. Cold or cool rain, no way. I'm finished as soon as I can get the mower on the trailer. Warm rain in July or August, I like that. I really try not to mow the residentials when its raining. I will mow them if it is wet but not soaked. The clay here is unforgiving if you screw up it costs much time and money to make it right otherwise you have permanent ruts. My small commercials will get mowed if it rains and there arent any vehicles around to spray with clippings but I don't have to do that too often.

StBalor
05-02-2006, 06:50 AM
Well when you do all residentials. You have to listen to the customers saying " it's to wet to cut my grass" So if it's really wet i find something else to do.

Mr Ricochet
05-02-2006, 07:22 AM
I have to agree about making a mess. If I'm shooting wet grass and staining the sidewalks and, can't blow off the clippings it's wastes my time and, leaves the property looking shabby. Now if I have an account that they just want the grass hacked down like a vacant lot then, as long as safety or the equipment isn't comprimised I cut.

Brendan Smith
05-02-2006, 10:57 AM
as long as the grass isn't clumping, i'm mowing

spcfoor
05-02-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't mow when it rains. However, if it starts to rain while I'm mowing I will finish as long as it isn't a down pour. lawnprosteveo, friday when we were getting pounded with the rain, I was coming from bixby on memorial and there was a guy mowing the carls jr in front of the movie theatre. It was raining so hard that my wipers couldn't keep up with it. The tires on the mower were covered with grass and talk about clumping.

jpicciu
05-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Here I go talking about how I have skipped mowing only a handful of times due to rain, and what does it do the next day...POURS down rain. Funny how that works sometimes. I guess I'm on my other handful now.

David Haggerty
05-02-2006, 01:57 PM
We have gore-tex suits we keep in the truck.
If it's gonna rain, I'd rather it kept raining 'till we're done so it washes out the muddy tracks. If not I tell the customers that the next rain will wash them out.
We do try to stay out of the soft spots.

My big Toro 580-D don't leave any ruts. And it weighs 6,600 lbs. Of course it does have those huge 31" floater tires. What WILL happen is while the ground is kind of soft the grass plants will actually get shoved over sideways a little making the tire tracks stay longer than usual. So if it's wet or raining we mow the more difficult pattern. If the long easy pattern is north & south, when it's wet we mow the east to west pattern. That way for the next few mowings we can mow the easier pattern and still keep the nice plaid look.
My machines I have don't clump any more in the wet than they do in the dry. Their decks are 6" deep so it's no wonder. In fact I've done some of my best work in the rain.
I did have one little ole lady complain about it being too wet and the "clumping". Heck! we were mowing her lawn with a 36" WB with double blades with gators on the top. There wasn't anything coming out of that chute but a green fog!

Rain doesn't hardly slow us down. We do stop for lightning.

Dave

lawnprosteveo
05-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I don't mow when it rains. However, if it starts to rain while I'm mowing I will finish as long as it isn't a down pour. lawnprosteveo, friday when we were getting pounded with the rain, I was coming from bixby on memorial and there was a guy mowing the carls jr in front of the movie theatre. It was raining so hard that my wipers couldn't keep up with it. The tires on the mower were covered with grass and talk about clumping.
Yeah I see that kind of stuff too...I hate being behind, but I see some properties around town with big ruts! It looks terrible. And since I do mostly residential, they let me know if they think its too wet...

LwnmwrMan22
05-04-2006, 06:17 PM
I just mowed 4 days straight in the rain last week / beginning of this week.

I do 4 schools on the weekends, when kids aren't out and about, so it's gotta get done.

It's a little different than doing residential yards, since it's in the contract that I mow on weekends during the school year, but it's still a pain.

Precision
05-04-2006, 06:41 PM
We have gore-tex suits we keep in the truck.
If it's gonna rain, I'd rather it kept raining 'till we're done so it washes out the muddy tracks. If not I tell the customers that the next rain will wash them out.
We do try to stay out of the soft spots.

Rain doesn't hardly slow us down. We do stop for lightning.

Dave

Me too. If we didn't mow in the rain we would never mow during hurricane season.

brucec32
05-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Prefer not to at all, but it depends on the lawn, the turf type, and how well drained the soil is on that lawn. Some you'd butcher with just some rain, others you can mow in just about anything. I do use the wb's in the rain, though.