PDA

View Full Version : clean fill request sign

mas
05-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Im trying to build up the majority of 4.5 acres up a foot.. and i wont have access to fill till fall time and i was thinking of putting up clean fill signs around being that the land is not far from the city dump where people have to dump their loads anyways..

i watched a guy dumping a load of shingles and roofing garbage onto a lot the other day with a clean fill sign.. and i was wondering if they is common place?

anyone have any opinions on cleanfill wanted signs?

thanks

kris
05-02-2006, 07:22 AM
Say what?

An opinion on clean fill wanted signs????

waltero
05-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Only do it if you can monitor what comes in.

If you can limit access to the site to one road and have a gate that needs to be opened by you or someone that will ensure that it is clean fill.

People will dump there just because it doesn't look out of place for them to be there and by the time they pull out if they didn't get caught they just act dumb or say that they dumped clean fill when in fact it was garbage. I have seen it done many times.

My brother has done this when he borrowed my truck and the guy ended up calling me because of the # on the side of the truck. My brother was disposing of tree stumps and I gave him a place but it was farther away and he didn't feel like driving so he dumped them at a site that requested clean fill/no stumps. The sign clearly read no stumps many times and my brother knew but didn't care because once dumped it was no longer his problem. I ended up haveing to haul the stumps back up the embankment by chain and reloading them on the truck and bring them to the place I had arranged. My brother no longer borrows my truck for this and many other reasons but there are others just like my brother out there.

walter

DVS Hardscaper
05-02-2006, 03:40 PM
many excavating companies are lookin for places to dump clean fill. A few months ago, we probably got about 250 tandem loads of fill brought to the property where our shop is.

the yard guy
05-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Waltero is right. We own an excavating company and when we have fill on a job site whether we want any more or not it always shows up and is rarely anything we can use. Sign or no sign people see construction as a place where someone else will bear the expense of ridding thier garbage for them. So unless you can control exactly what goes in you'll probably be unhappy with the results.

Depending on your area, you may call the larger contractors and see if they are interested in a place to haul fill. Usually they are looking for a place and if so that will ensure you get what you want, as long as they're reputable.

Shelby