PDA

View Full Version : field test. 2006 quick 36 super duty

exmark01
05-02-2006, 09:31 AM
has anybody gotten there april adition magizene? they field test the quick 36 super duty. it looks like a really great WB. im not so sure if it is though. any comments and/or sugestions?:confused:

gdguth
05-02-2006, 10:43 AM
I got my issue. You can go to their website and they have the review of the article on the quick36.

exmark01
05-02-2006, 11:00 AM
ok, thank you very much!:usflag:

Big Chicago
05-03-2006, 04:57 AM
r u kidding me?

MMLawn
05-03-2006, 09:16 PM
I am the one that did that test and I can ASSURE you it is one fine mower!....And I own 100's of thousands of dollars in commercial lawn equipment and have been doing this 27 years......

exmark01
05-04-2006, 09:19 AM
wow! you were the one who tested the mower? wow? i love it!:)

Green-Cuts
05-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Mike
I am looking at getting this mower as well towards the end of the season.
Did you test it with the sulkie (spelling) or without. Would you recomend it for my first mower purchase over 21"?

Thanks
BJ

MMLawn
05-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Mike
I am looking at getting this mower as well towards the end of the season.
Did you test it with the sulkie (spelling) or without. Would you recomend it for my first mower purchase over 21"?

Thanks
BJ

No we didn't use a sulky and YES I would absolutely recommend it to you!

z_clark
05-08-2006, 01:19 AM
Nice article. Enjoyed reading it!

Green-Cuts
05-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Hey Mike
Do you think the sulkie is worth it or would it be a just a pain?
Thanks
BJ

jameson
05-08-2006, 01:07 PM
The Step-Saver is worth it IF you have larger areas to mow/trim, as with other wb's without it (sulky, velke, step-saver, proslide) one cannot use the mower for long at full speed ie full potential of mower, you'd be worn out around 9:30 am from jogging behind it.

We have some larger lawns where our Q36 w/step-saver makes mowing/trimming a breeze.

The step-saver is heavy/cumbersome and would only be in your way on smaller lawns.

Hope that helps,
James

S man
05-09-2006, 01:10 AM
What about parts and having your dealer do the work through better? I don't think they just are waiting to work on a mower they have never seen. I really like the quick but need a dealer close by. What do you think about the part/fixing thing mike?

MMLawn
05-09-2006, 06:56 PM
What about parts and having your dealer do the work through better? I don't think they just are waiting to work on a mower they have never seen. I really like the quick but need a dealer close by. What do you think about the part/fixing thing mike?

It's a non-issue. The engine will be either B&S or KAW and it is covered by their factory warranty so any registered B&S or KAW dealer can do warranty work. Any othe part that malfunctions under warranty and Better arranges for a local dealer to fix it for you.

S man
05-11-2006, 02:05 AM
It's a non-issue. The engine will be either B&S or KAW and it is covered by their factory warranty so any registered B&S or KAW dealer can do warranty work. Any othe part that malfunctions under warranty and Better arranges for a local dealer to fix it for you.

So it's not the guy who turns his nose up at fixing it. Better has dealers they work with.

dzd9fy
05-12-2006, 09:17 PM
I have not received my copy with the 36SD, is ther any way to post either a link or a copy of the review? My emails to them have gone unanswered....

Tim03
05-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I have not received my copy with the 36SD, is ther any way to post either a link or a copy of the review? My emails to them have gone unanswered....

I would be interested also. I don't even have a subscription since I don't have any equipment yet, I am looking to get into the business.

gottamow
05-19-2006, 12:20 AM
I read the review, checked out the Quick 36 website, found a "Super Fox" (13hp commercial Briggs) that had gotten tangled up with a forklift in shipping. They had replaced a safety switch, knocked off $200, and selling it with a "scar" somewhere on it.
I bought it, picked it up at Roadway terminal in Indy last Monday and I really like it. It'll get me in those back yards and won't have to use my crummy 21" push mower. Bought the mulching kit, will try it out when things dry out a little.

Still haven't found that scar yet! :confused: The folks at "Better" seem to be real straight shooters and good to deal with.

bill

Tim03
05-19-2006, 09:39 PM
I read the review, checked out the Quick 36 website, found a "Super Fox" (13hp commercial Briggs) that had gotten tangled up with a forklift in shipping. They had replaced a safety switch, knocked off $200, and selling it with a "scar" somewhere on it.
I bought it, picked it up at Roadway terminal in Indy last Monday and I really like it. It'll get me in those back yards and won't have to use my crummy 21" push mower. Bought the mulching kit, will try it out when things dry out a little.

Still haven't found that scar yet! :confused: The folks at "Better" seem to be real straight shooters and good to deal with.

bill

I look forward to hearing from you, especially since you are from Indianapolis also!

Tim03
08-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Bump!

Quick owners, how is it going? Anything new you would like to share?

General Landscaping
08-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Warranty parts.... no problem.
Give 'em a call and they will get things straightened out for you.

I like not being forced to go through a shop to get things handled.
It takes weeks to get things through a shop around here this time of year:angry:
Do my own work and get back in the green stuff quicker.
Machine is a piece o' cake to work on.

Made my own sulky. Very light weight.

Machspeed
08-06-2006, 12:49 AM
I own a Quick 36 Super Duty and I also purchased the step saver. I'm not a big commercial guy, but I have used several different walkbehinds, including a high end Toro Hydro. For the money, this mower is hard to beat. The step saver takes some getting used to but was not a big issue. I like it for use in my yard, which is large and open. For smaller yards, I don't mess with it. Things I don't particularly like about the mower include the height adjustment. One needs a 3/4" wrench for the rear. To adjust the front, you have to pull the front wheels and change out spacers. This is easy, provided you keep the spindles oiled and cleaned. The overall adjustment takes a couple of minutes and really isn't the big of a deal. Additionally, I'm not to fond of it's mulching capability. I have the mulching attachements and if my grass is too high, I find myself cleaning up the clippings by mowing over them with my 2 cycle Lawn Boy.... great mulcher but a pusher! Lastly, it is somewhat cumbersome on hills, but again, not that big of an issue. What I do like about the mower is that it leaves a beautiful cut......as good or better then the Toro Hydro I used. Also, the customer service has always been great! I think these people bend over backwards to ensure one is content with their product. Lastly, the cost. Most gear drives are more costly then the Quick 36, plus they are more cumbersome to use. I like the mower and would purchase it again.

John

TAZ
08-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Bump!

Quick owners, how is it going? Anything new you would like to share?
no complaints here. Great cut and zero problems thus far.
-TAZ

horsequick
08-08-2006, 12:13 AM
I have the kawasaki powered quick 36. It's an incredible mower. Not only is it compact and lightweight, but the cut it gives is beautiful. I can't wait till next year. This year I'm running a little low on cash due to too much vacationing. But next year I'm going to order two more.

BQLC
08-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks Guy's this thread resolved some of my concerns I had on this mower I will be making the purchase at the end of the season.

barcode148
08-09-2006, 03:01 PM
i am looking at buying the samurai but i dont understand how its a pistol grip by looking at the pictures one sid only has the safety feature and the other side is where the steering is. do you have to manually turn it? or is it a zero turn walkbehind. thanks

PTP
08-09-2006, 06:29 PM
i am looking at buying the samurai but i dont understand how its a pistol grip by looking at the pictures one sid only has the safety feature and the other side is where the steering is. do you have to manually turn it? or is it a zero turn walkbehind. thanks
On the left side is the safety and on the right is the drive. You do have to manually turn the mower. It takes slightly more effort to turn the mower than to turn a 21" mower.

TAZ
08-09-2006, 10:35 PM

Basically what was said was true about the effort required to turn it. I have found that after spending more time with it you can turn in the direction of the next stripe then totally release the speed trigger and zero turn it with absolutly no grass damage. With the hydro disengaged and the brake/opc depressed one wheel goes forward and one back. Because of the weight and the short wheelbase it turns very easy IMO.

-TAZ

Zachthan
08-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Can someone explain how the deck height can be changed on the Quick-36? Is it a simple process? I sse this is explained in the thread above, sorry

Zachthan
08-12-2006, 06:32 PM
anybody in the Albany NY area have a Quick 36 I could come and take a look at?

lawncare18
08-12-2006, 06:53 PM
Im in the syracuse area... if your ever passing through let me know...

lawncare18
08-12-2006, 06:54 PM
sorry... also can email you pictures of my machine and the cut its produces... Im around turf equipment every day of the year... its a very strong built machine and very durable... you will not be disapointed!!!!!

Zachthan
08-12-2006, 06:59 PM
thanks for the offer. I just might be as my wife's sister and family live in Lysander. I'll let you know.

Zachthan
08-12-2006, 07:05 PM
would very much like to see any pictures you are willing to share.

kevin@thelawnpatrol.com

Thanks

lawncare18
08-12-2006, 08:16 PM
ha whats the last name of the family?? I live right near lysander...

lawncare18
08-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Kevin.. I would wate... I have also been hearing that gary is coming out with somehting new this year... maybe a 48inch mower??? mmlawn on here who is a memeber knows hes coming out with somehting but wont tell anyone yet that I know of??

jbjb
08-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Anybody run both of these machines? Willing to compare?

I'm concerned about the mulching comments I've heard on the Quick 36 --> I don't overly mind double cutting but I'm not pulling out my 21" for a cleanup!

:walking:

The Lawn Patrol
08-13-2006, 09:46 AM
lawncare 18

It will probably be late winter early spring before I buy. I have a Harley to sell first. I would give serious consideration to a 48" deck if one were to be manufactured. Although it is a toss-up for the size jobs I have. There is something to be said for the agility of a 36 inch mower in my opinion.

TAZ
08-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Anybody run both of these machines? Willing to compare?

I'm concerned about the mulching comments I've heard on the Quick 36 --> I don't overly mind double cutting but I'm not pulling out my 21" for a cleanup!

:walking:

I don't have any issues with it mulching wise but I don't try to mulch the wet **** either. Handling wise I can tell you that the quick handles easier than the ferris. I demoed one before buying the quick.

-TAZ

TAZ
08-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Kevin.. I would wate... I have also been hearing that gary is coming out with somehting new this year... maybe a 48inch mower??? mmlawn on here who is a memeber knows hes coming out with somehting but wont tell anyone yet that I know of??

From what Gary mentioned I think what is in the works is a jucied up 36 in terms of ground speed. The niche that Quick fills is in the 36" market. I don't konw if he is planing on going bigger.

-TAZ

jbjb
08-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Thanks Taz. My only local Ferris dealer didn't have a demo. Based on the size, I had a concern over ease of turning.

Looks like the Quick-36 is a good option for me. I won't be trying to mulch if it is too wet --> may have to buy the bag.

Do you mulch with the mulch kit or side discharge? What blades do you recommend on the Quick ---> or do you possibly have some high lift and some gator?

-jb

Lawnaholic
08-13-2006, 05:03 PM
I am the one that did that test and I can ASSURE you it is one fine mower!....And I own 100's of thousands of dollars in commercial lawn equipment and have been doing this 27 years......
Mike, can I use the Quick 36 Gator Blades on my 36 Super Surfer or do I need to use Dane Blades(then again, they might be both in the same)? Thanks.

TAZ
08-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks Taz. My only local Ferris dealer didn't have a demo. Based on the size, I had a concern over ease of turning.

Looks like the Quick-36 is a good option for me. I won't be trying to mulch if it is too wet --> may have to buy the bag.

Do you mulch with the mulch kit or side discharge? What blades do you recommend on the Quick ---> or do you possibly have some high lift and some gator?

-jb

I use the standard high lifts with the mulch plate. This combo works great for me. I though about the gators but I had doubts about the lift the blades would produce with the mulch kit installed. The one thing I do notice is that the blades need to be sharpened more frequently if your mulching allot. It makes a noticable difference in cut/mulching.

One thing with the gators that I have gotten the impression of is their intended use seems to be reducing the clipping size when side discharging or when mulching fall leaves. Allot of guys have reported poor performance when using them with a blockoff plate in moist conditions. Summer you probably would not have an issue.

I mulch for 2 main reasons. 1 is clipping dispersal is controlled. Your not blowing stuff all over beds. In tight area's this means allot less mess and cleanup. 2 is safety. I like the discharge shoot blocked in the event that you hit something it's not going to do damage flying off a blade traveling at 18,000 fpm.

The bagger looks like a good option in the spring/fall wet months where you are getting heavy top growth and need to remove it. I got mine in late spring so I don't have a good feel for the mower under all conditions yet. There are some on this site that do though.
-TAZ

jbjb
08-14-2006, 09:32 AM
:clapping:

Thanks Taz. I think I'll stick with the high lifts if I order the quick. I agree with you on the mulch plate ---> side discharge is great for some areas but if you have a front yard with a side walk and boulevard it is tough to keep the clippings off the landscaping.

So, Samurai with high lifts and the mulch kit ---> sounds like a plan to me. Now I just have to come up with the $2500! If I can't, I'll go used with an Exmark/Scag around $1500.

Seems like the Super-Fox for $2k isn't half the machine the Samurai is. Any opinions on spending the extra $500 for the Samurai?

willretire@40
08-14-2006, 11:43 AM
With the high lifts your deck stays clean in most conditions.

TAZ
08-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Seems like the Super-Fox for $2k isn't half the machine the Samurai is. Any opinions on spending the extra $500 for the Samurai?

I have the super-fox. I added large tires and the reinforcement struts on the caster arms. I love the machine but the extra HP of the 16hp motors might be helpful in more extreeme conditions. I have slightly bogged to 13 when mulching tall moist bluegrass at almost full speed (stuff I shouldn't have been trying to mulch...lol).

My main reason behind the decision to go with the fox was based on, not wanting to mess with the electric start/battery issues, and trying to keep a machine as light as possible. If the Kaw was recoil start I would have opted for that. If that latter 2 points don't apply to you than by all means go super duty or samurai.

As for the used equipment that you mentioned I looked that route before buying a quick. The weight in the other machines is substatially more. They are longer front to back by a considerable amount. If you can find a used hydro for that price and accomodate the extra length then that is not a bad option. The niche of the quick is hydro, size and QOC.

-TAZ

jbjb
08-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Taz,

I actually asked BOP if they would sell a 16hp Kawa with a pull start. The answer was no.

I think the electric start is nice, but I wish one of the 16hp's had a pull start backup at least.

so -- with your lessons learned, would you buy the Kawa at $2395 or Super-fox at $1895?

I really wish I could get the Kawa with pull start!

MMLawn
08-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Get the KAW and don't even look back

TAZ
08-15-2006, 08:53 AM
Taz,

I actually asked BOP if they would sell a 16hp Kawa with a pull start. The answer was no.

I think the electric start is nice, but I wish one of the 16hp's had a pull start backup at least.

so -- with your lessons learned, would you buy the Kawa at $2395 or Super-fox at $1895?

I really wish I could get the Kawa with pull start!

I am not dissapointed at all with my choice of the super-fox but I think in the long run the extra $$ would be justified with a 16hp option and if your going to go that route you might as well spring for the kaw. Now that I am used to the mower I run it flat out most of the time. If your going to mulch or get into some tough conditions you probably would be better suited with a few more hp IMO.

-TAZ

porter5
11-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Good Stuff

TurfDesign Eric
02-16-2007, 10:55 PM
What a great thread!

I'm just getting my business off the ground & was also looking at these mowers. With all the good things I've read, I'm gonna order 2 Q36 Samurais.

JW Lawn
02-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Eric.....Sent you an email...I am near you and have a quick you can check out

TurfDesign Eric
02-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Eric.....Sent you an email...I am near you and have a quick you can check out

Sweet man, thanks for the offer! I'll contact you in a few days.

ranger351w
02-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Good day

I read all the posts and came to the conclusion so many people could not be wrong . Not often you see an entire thread everyone agrees that a product is better than canned beer or sliced bread. I was so impressed I ordered one today. Been going to get a walk behind and it may as well be this one. It will go well with the two grasshoppers48 and 61,troybilt tiller, troybilt edger,Still hedge trimmer,Echo trimmer, Still blower. Good team.
Thanks a lot for all the info guys.:drinkup:

A.S.D.S. Mowing