PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Vs Scag

Lynden-Jeff
05-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Hi,

I have been looking at purchasing a brand new SCAG tiger cub with a 20 or 21 HP kawasaki engine and 48 inch deck but a local dealer has a used 727A with 54-inch Mower deck and 23 HP kawasaki. The SCAG brand new is $9000 CDN and the Johndeere is $8250. Is it worth it to pay a little more for the brand new scag?

Thanks
Jeff

Budget
05-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I purchased a Ferris 1500 with a 52" deck 25 hp. Brand new with tax $7000.
I like Scags, but this was a deal and so far a great machine... Shop around and check them all out.

Killswitch
05-02-2006, 01:57 PM
I run all deere mowers but I could never run scags. I dont do "Orange" and I hate the name.

justartnout
05-02-2006, 04:50 PM
That scag is not $9000. I just bought one with a 24 horse Briggs for $5699. You must be confusing the 48" with the 61"..

Roger
05-02-2006, 05:43 PM
That scag is not $9000. I just bought one with a 24 horse Briggs for $5699. You must be confusing the 48" with the 61"..

You are comparing two monetary systems. His $9,000 is Canadian, your $5,699 is American. The Scag Tiger Cub with the Briggs is a promotional model, about $1,000 less than the model with a 19hp Kaw. Also, the non-promo model has adjustable control sticks and non-flat caster tires.

I went through a long, thorough evalualtion of the 48" deck models. I worked my way through various brands, and came to the Scag Tiger Cub and John Deere 717A. I discarded the Briggs promo Tiger Cub from consideration -- didn't want that engine.

In the end, I settled for a John Deere 717A. I picked it up last Saturday, and so far, I am very pleased. The most noteworthy performance is the quality of cut. The 7 Iron II deck produces a superb quality of cut, carpet-like. Striping is minimal, but the surface is beautiful.

I came to believe the quality of both Deere and Scag were comparable, but opted for the Deere for two reasons: (1) Such good reviews of the 7 Iron II deck, (2) Dealer was about 20 minutes away (although primarily an ag dealer), not 100 minutes for the Scag dealer (although I thought they were a great dealer, offering Scag and Hustler, plus golf course geear).

Did I make the right choice? I don't know.

As a side note, my primary mower was a nine year old Exmark Viking, 36" fixed deck, with a two-wheeled BullRider sulky. At this point, my mowing times on jobs that take 1 to 2 hours, are about the same for the 48" ZTR vs. the 36" w/b with sulky. The w/b is able to navigate hills better and able to get to places that require more trimming or hand mower work when working with the ZTR. All the hoopla assocaited with riding a ZTR is not what it is cracked up to be. I am now wondering if I would have been better served buying a wider w/b, not a ZTR.

Lux Lawn
05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
If it were me I would go with the Scag.

Lynden-Jeff
05-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi,

Its a 2004 tiger cub (brand new just been in his shop a while) and he said the only difference was the quick change throttle leavers which can be swapped out now as an option. Is this true? I seem to like scag, I also considered exmark but I find the scag to be more heavy duty. Thanks roger for the imput, I will have to see in the next 2 weeks if that john deere is still available. I noticed it had a flat tire at the dealership so Ill have to inquire about that aswell. Anymore input would be great.

Cheers
Jeff

Lynden-Jeff
05-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Also the dealer for the scag was really nice and seemed genuinely interested in helping the smaller guy. The exmark and john Deere dealers both are a little bigger and ain't as interested in helping the small guy. Only advantage to the john Deere dealer is he is 10 minutes away as compared to the 30 minutes for scag.

Jeff

padrefargo
05-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I only have about 7 hours on my 2006 717A, but I cannot believe what a perfect cut I get mowing at full speed. I even have last year's mulching kit installed, which lacks the deflectors between the blades (mine really only adds the front baffles, discharge cover and the mulching blades), and the thing does not leave anything behind. I couldn't even tell you what it sounds like when it bogs down, because I have yet to hear it do it.

The thing is amazing! I use mine for my own properties - I'm not an LCO, but I have to believe that this mower would do quite well for an LCO with medium to large sized residential accounts, and probably most commercial accounts.

I was between the Gravely PM148z and the Deere 717A. My Gravely dealer is about 5 minutes away, and my Deere dealer is about 30 minutes away. That's how strongly I feel about the Deere mower and Deere dealer.

Enjoy your Deere!:clapping:

4curbappeal
05-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Scags are built like tanks, but the JD will leave a much nicer cut!

mowdiddy
05-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Go With The Scag, I Just Bought The Tiger Cub 48 With The Briggs This Season For My Smaller Lawns And I Actually Like It Better Than My 05 Exmark Z 60. The Briggs Supplies Great Power And The Cub Holds Hills Very Very Well. Dont Know Much About The Deere So I Cant Knock It, But I Dont Know Any Commercial Operators That Own One. Good Luck With Your Purchase, Al