PDA

View Full Version : wet clippings on sidewalk

jacob land and
05-02-2006, 01:55 PM
i cut in the rain all morning no problem but how do you get the grass off of the sidewalks, flowerbeds, etc... my blower wouldnt move the clippings because they were all wet? do you just leave them and get them next week?

lawnspecialties
05-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Not trying to be a smartace or anything, but if your blower will not move wet clippings, you need a better blower.

Do you mean wet clippings that had dried on the sidewalks?:confused:

jacob land and
05-02-2006, 02:02 PM
yea your prolly right

Freddy_Kruger
05-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Were you using a straw? lol j/k.

jt5019
05-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Thats why i try to not mow when its raining.. It takes a lot of time to clean up the wet nasty grass from driveways and sidewalks. You can blow most of it off but there is still some that you have to fight with to make it look decent.

cwlawley
05-02-2006, 03:05 PM
I think that he means wet clippings that were probably mashed down into the concrete with the lawnmower. This happens a lot. I try to blow as much as I can...you can sweep and get more, but I don't.

mcwlandscaping
05-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Maybe one of those powerbrooms if you cut in the rain alot may be a good investment.

A1A Lawn Care
05-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Definately need a better blower it seems.

sheshovel
05-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Or don't cut in the rain.They also have this thing and it has a wooden handle and these bristles that are attached to the end of it...It's called a broom ...you could try that.

bobbygedd
05-02-2006, 05:58 PM
"we are not responsible for acts of god". RAIN, is an act of god. so, are the clippings stuck to the sidewalk.

TriCountyLawn
05-02-2006, 06:10 PM
One guy with a backpack blower and one guy with a broom scrubing the area with a broom is our way. Also if ya dont mind eating up some trimmer line use your trimmer to blast that stuff off.

Or, dont run the mower on hard surfaces anymore then you have to be.

lawnspecialties
05-02-2006, 06:17 PM
One method I've found that works well if you have access to a hose. If the clippings have dried to the walk, wet them back down with a little water. Then put the blower on them hard. It will not only get the clippings, but does a pretty good job on the green stains.:)

Lux Lawn
05-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Invest in the best backpack you can afford & try not to make your turns on the driveway or sidewalk.

JJLandscapes
05-02-2006, 06:38 PM
why is everyone on this site an *******... i use 7001 redmax which is very very powerful and leaves a lot of clippings when the ground is wet..... it depends on the sidewalk type they tend to stick regardless and i just get as much off as possible

.... keep in mind how often do people walk on there own sidewalks and would bother complaining when they knew it rained... the driveway u gotta make spotless

GreenUtah
05-02-2006, 06:45 PM
old concrete seems to be the stickiest for wet grass, but get what you can with your backpack blower, use the rubber/traction bottom of your shoe to loosen whatever else you can and let the sun or more rain do the rest of the job..I'd rather throw the broom like a javelin through my truck window than try and get wet grass off of old concrete with one.

1MajorTom
05-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Or don't cut in the rain.
I really think that it depends upon how many accounts you have, sometimes NOT cutting is NOT an option. How many lawn accounts do you have sheshovel? We have over 100, and in a perfect world, we wouldn't have to cut in the rain.... but we aint living in a perfect world. :dizzy:

zim bob the landscaper
05-02-2006, 08:54 PM
just try a push broom if your blower is bad until u get a new one.

zim bob the landscaper
05-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Invest in the best backpack you can afford & try not to make your turns on the driveway or sidewalk.
i no this is off topic but are u Italian or Mexican? becasue i thought u used to have something for a avatar that was Mexican and im Italian I'm just wondering.:)

zim bob the landscaper
05-02-2006, 08:57 PM
o ya i just bought a backpack blower just the other day on clearence for 100.00 and its worth 399.99.:) :dancing: :cool2:

Drew Gemma
05-02-2006, 08:58 PM
hit it with trimmer line at an angle then blow it off. we mow in the rain all the time just the way it is. Just because it rains do the bills stop comming in NO so we don't stop working. Trimmer line but usually my echo bp blower does the job

Freddy_Kruger
05-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm disapointed with my back pack blower it seems very awkward, I sometimes wsh I would have bought a hand held.

Lux Lawn
05-02-2006, 10:02 PM
i no this is off topic but are u Italian or Mexican? becasue i thought u used to have something for a avatar that was Mexican and im Italian I'm just wondering.:)

Italian,I had Chief Wahoo up there before.He is the Cleveland Indians Team Logo.

Frontstreetlawns
05-02-2006, 10:58 PM
dude you guys are doing to much work!!!! just stay off the sidewalks and then you dont need to clean them, i seem to mow in the rain almost everyother day. if your on a zero turn take it easy and do a three piont turn

zim bob the landscaper
05-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Italian,I had Chief Wahoo up there before.He is the Cleveland Indians Team Logo.
o ok kool im italian too maybe i got confused with u and mexiking im not sure.

lazerslicer05
05-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Use a trimmer on the sidewalks... wet grass stuck on sidewalk from the tires of your mower comes off very well by using the trimmer on it same as u would get weeds out of the cracks

DLS1
05-03-2006, 10:15 PM
What is up with using push brooms. That sounds like one of BobbyGedds tips.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Do the best you can with blower and move on.

ed2hess
05-03-2006, 10:20 PM
dude you guys are doing to much work!!!! just stay off the sidewalks and then you dont need to clean them, i seem to mow in the rain almost everyother day. if your on a zero turn take it easy and do a three piont turn
I agree with this point you have to stay off concrete period when it is wet...we do hotels and they won't accept any stains. We sometimes carry a 21" by hand to areas to ensure we don't track. We use cardboard to cross concrete with big machines. Small price to keep units running when wet.

JJLandscapes
05-03-2006, 10:38 PM

if you can tell me a way to control all the wacker clippings while edging and trimming the sidewalk i would love to know :confused:

BigChaz
05-04-2006, 12:03 AM
you guys seriously whip out a push broom or a hose and a blower to clear some wet clippings? give me a break. Might as well lick the driveway clean.

just use the blower and get it as best you can. Not gonna waste time having two guys trying to clean off a driveway

MowForLess
05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Where to start..........

*To the guy who got the pack blower for a hundred bucks..Get me one.

*As for the push broom, you might as well have one guy sit on the broom and the other guy push it around.

*I understand the need to clean up, but if you are not running over the clippings they should come off with a blower, use a more directed nozzle if necessary.

*For the question about how to hold your weed whacker...This should have been taught to you a long time ago. You can throw the clipping at a different angle. It is kind of like trying to teach someone to use a left handed screw driver or a metric adjustable wrench.

If you need help with the last one....google the two tools mentioned. I have them both for sale. Because of their rareity, they do tend to cost more. Send money to my pay-pal account. :)

CutInEdge Lawn Care
05-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Well we just train the grass not to stick. If you havent learned how I will be conducting a seminar soon. If this doesnt work for you, I have invented a grass umbrella that keeps the clippings virtually dry. Good Luck!!! J/K

MowForLess
05-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Cutin Edge, Sounds like you have friends at FEMA as in blue tarps as umbrellas.......I was born at night, but not last night he he he. If FL is too far for some to drive, I can help with the overflow of Seminar participants for a CUT in the profits...no pun intended.

29 Palms Property Management
05-11-2006, 05:48 PM
give me a break. Might as well lick the driveway clean.
That's a relief, I thought I was the only one doing this!! :p