PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Algae in Pond

Davis TLC
05-16-2001, 10:03 AM
I have a small pond approx 300 gallons in my backyard. What can I use to control algae that will not hurt my water lilies or other aquatic plants. I am using a bilogical filter and enzymes in the pond on a maintenance basis. We have Shebunkin goldfish in it. Our pump is rated at 1450 gph (which is rather high volume for this size pond, but turns the water over more often). It is in full sun most of the day. There is landscaping surrounding the pond. I can get a picture of the pond if it would be helpful. pH is around 7.6, Nitrate levels are ok, Nitrites are just out of the safe level, hardness is fine. Just would like to keep the algae down this year.

aquascape
05-17-2001, 08:40 AM
Best thing to do to keep the algae down is to add more plants. More oxygenators will do the most to keep the algae down.

Conor

Davis TLC
05-18-2001, 09:20 AM
Conor,

What are some good oxygenator type plants? I want to learn as much as I can about ponds as it could be a good add-on to my current services. When are you going to be back in the Nashville area for a build a pond day? I would like to attend one to learn about installing and designing pond systems.

aquascape
05-18-2001, 09:27 AM
Some good oxygenators are dwarf cattails, horsetails, anachoris, iris, sweetflag. Another good plant to have is water hyacinth and water lettuce. The last two plants are floating plants that take a lot of nutrients out of the water.
We should be coming back to Nashville on 11-12-01 for a Build a Pond Day seminar. We will be posting the schedule soon in our wholesale magazine and on our Website.

Conor

Davis TLC
05-19-2001, 09:16 PM
Thanks Conor,

We have one large iris, and 2 water lettuce in the pond, and several lilies, plus some other plants. I will make plans to attend the seminar in November.

BobS
06-04-2001, 04:08 PM
Sounds like you're doing the right things.

I started with 8 fish in a slightly larger pond; 2 Shibunkins, 2 Ryokins, 2 Sarasa Comets and two small Koi.

All have died except for the Ryokin and a Comet.

Causes range from parasites to just plain overcrowding.

The biofilter I bought had literature that suggests the following formula to determine fish population:

Length x Width x 1.5 = fish poulation

Based on this I was overcrowding due to my own ignorance. Really sorry to lose those fish.

Keep using the enzymes per instructions, keep the filter bag clean (don't use City Water - may contain flouride, chlorine or other agents that impact your biofilter function) per manufacturere's suggestions. One option to defeat city water is to rinse in the opond.

Enyzmes will take care of Srting Algae and the biofilter will deal with Green Algae. Do this and you should be ok. Best of luck.

bob

cclllc
07-08-2002, 08:50 PM
Just finished my 11*16 pond.w/ 10 ft stream and waterfall.I have the aquascapes sys.I put rocks and gravel everywhere.I have 1 blue iris,1 dwarf cattail,3 water lillies, and 2 water lettuce .I noticed the rocks are already turning green.Is that ok?I have just started the bacteria.Today will be the 2nd day for it.The pond sits in the sun. I have planted several trees around it as well as shrubs and grasses.I hope I have done my part.I will add the fish in about a week or so .About how many should I have to start with?Thanks.John.

Fishwhiz
10-20-2002, 02:02 AM
Rich,

If you are seeing nitrite levels at the border of the "safe" zone, then either your pond is very new and/or there is some excessive organic input to the pond.

Plants do tend to buffer nutrient levels during spring and summer, but they are not going to correct the source of the problem. Are you feeding the pond? If so, you need to hold off until you have zero nitrites. Be patient and let the pond adjust.

Good luck to you,