PDA

View Full Version : Mailbox Design

kryolla
05-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Is there any how to for DIY to make a stone or brick, paver mailbox. Thanks Drew

DVS Hardscaper
05-02-2006, 03:20 PM
just form up a column and pop a mail box ontop.

Actually, I used have an employee who is also a close personal friend, whos family is employed with the U.S. Postal Service. Last I was aware, the U.S. Postal Service does NOT allow those fancy mailbox columns that you see all over the place. See, a mailbox must be mounted on a *collapsable* post. Some post offices enforce the rule, some do not. I would hate to see someone spend $2500 for a stone mailbox column which the postal service will just make them remove 2 weeks later.

motoraced
05-04-2006, 12:00 AM
the only regulations the postmaster states is 6-8" from road surface to front of mailbox abd a certain height which i forgot...only one who can have a problem is the state or city b/c of road hazzard but is delt with on a case per case basis.

DVS Hardscaper
05-07-2006, 10:02 PM
the only regulations the postmaster states is 6-8" from road surface to front of mailbox abd a certain height which i forgot...only one who can have a problem is the state or city b/c of road hazzard but is delt with on a case per case basis.

The location specs may be true.

But Sorry. The U.S. Postal Service does in fact specify exactly what is acceptable in terms of use for mailbox post(s) and the mailbox unit itself. The unit as a whole must be "collapsable".

pyrguy
05-07-2006, 10:33 PM
The county here has rules that back up the USPS rules but only if the box is in the ROW. They come around about once a year and push over offending boxes.

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
05-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Then half the houses in every housing addition around here have broken that law, also, the owner of the masonry company built a brick collumn and used a chimney clean out door for his mail box its been there 15-20 years. he was tired of county plow trucks hitting his post every winter.

motoraced
05-08-2006, 02:46 PM
The location specs may be true.

But Sorry. The U.S. Postal Service does in fact specify exactly what is acceptable in terms of use for mailbox post(s) and the mailbox unit itself. The unit as a whole must be "collapsable".

and what is the definition of collapsable?? a wood post set in concrete can do as much damage as a masonry unit. a mansonry unit is allowed. only specs are the ones i mentioned before..and that was from the postmaster himself here in md.

motoraced
05-08-2006, 03:06 PM
here is some good reading to for you...only states that mailbox must be to certain specs itself and post must be at teh certain location which i descibed and can be fixed or movable post/arm. and it comes down to state/local laws conserning road hazzards which again, are delt on case by case. i win.

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/508.htm

motoraced
05-08-2006, 03:18 PM
3.2.2 Custom-Built Mailbox

The local postmaster may approve a curbside mailbox constructed by a customer who, for aesthetic or other reasons, does not want to use an approved manufactured box. The custom-built box must generally meet the same standards as approved manufactured boxes for flag, size, strength, and quality of construction.
3.2.3 Locked Box

A mailbox with a lock must have a slot that is large enough to accommodate the customer's normal daily mail volume. The USPS neither opens a locked box nor accepts a key for this purpose.
3.2.4 Mailbox Post

The post or other support for a curbside mailbox must be neat and of adequate strength and size. The post may not represent effigies or caricatures that tend to disparage or ridicule any person. The box may be attached to a fixed or movable arm.
3.2.5 Advertising

Any advertising on a mailbox or its support is prohibited.
3.2.6 Location

Subject to state laws and regulations, a curbside mailbox must be placed to allow safe and convenient delivery by carriers without leaving their vehicles. The box must be on the right-hand side of the road in the direction of travel of the carriers on any new rural route or highway contract route, in all cases where traffic conditions are dangerous for the carriers to drive to the left to reach the box, or where their doing so would violate traffic laws and regulations.

DVS Hardscaper
05-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Didn't mean to throw you in a frienzy.

In life, many folks do / have things that are not supposed to be done, according to whatever regulations / rules / laws may goverign such.

I am no postal expert. Nor do I have any intentions of ever being!

I have a friend whos truck kept failing the emissions test. Turns out, the people testing the truck (multiple visits) were not even doing the correct test for the model year of the truck. My point? Well, my point is - we can not all be experts in our jobs. Especially when it comes to government workers. I have frequently had people give me inaccurate info.

I was told that the fancy brick and stone mailbox columns are not acceptable in our county. They are to be collapsable. I was told by someone that is a postmaster.

So being we are professionals, it makes it our duty to know if such structures are even allowed. I believe it is our duty to educate the client. If they decide to procede - then at least you can say "I told you so!". This is a professional forum. Just cause a homeowner wants it, doesnt mean its ethical to sell it.

I see so many alledged landscape "professionals" doing work that does not meet local codes, etc. And yet, the contractor honestly does not even know they are violating codes. They think codes only pertain to carpenters!

Check with your local municiple government before constructing such structures (mailbox pillars). Especially if you live in regions where it snows.