PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!!!

Mbsausage
05-02-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm just getting back into business after a 10 year absence. My problem is this, I olny have 3 customers and i'm not recieving any calls. I have ad's in local papers, door hangers, mailbox flyers, i'm all lettered up.I have done just about everything and i'm at wits end. I'm not sure if im doing something wrong. Please give me some advice, i cant afford to fail.

Charles
05-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Everybody knows someone in Lawncare these days. This is not like the good ole days in many areas of the country. I have seen 5 LCO's working one city street at times. Just may take you a lot longer to build a repeat business. I have ads etc etc too and just a few out of the way calls so far. Luckily I have a decent base left.

HighGrass
05-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Where you are there may be some saturation as far as lawncare is concerned. Which doesn't mean you won't get any business, it just means changing your tactics and be patient. Try landing some commercial accounts. Any homes for sale down there? Try stopping at some of the homes that have a SOLD sign on them and hang tags there. Hand out leaflets in bigger developments on Saturdays. Knock on the door and ask them what you need to do to earn their business.

chesterlawn
05-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Try calling some realestate agents.

PR Fect
05-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Hit the streets. Stop by new construction during the week for commercial accounts. Knock on doors weekends and nights, for residential accounts. When they do a face to face with you, you have a better shot. Take that lettered truck, and haul some equipment around with you when you go selling. Talk to everyone, be open, friendly, and easy to approach. PR

mulcahy mowing
05-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Guys, Up here it's tough to get work to many scrubs! I have two guys in there 40's that charge alot less than I do in my own neighborhood. Then there's the neighborhood kid for $5.. it's hard, face to face is the only way to get work!:rolleyes:

PGA
05-02-2006, 08:45 PM
People, we are mowing lawns, not curing cancer.

Its not hard to get more accounts.

Do good work and the word of mouth will kick in.

Advertise, advertise, advertise.

Door to door.

Postcards.

Cold calling.

Lets not make this harder then it seems.

Charles
05-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Guys, Up here it's tough to get work to many scrubs! I have two guys in there 40's that charge alot less than I do in my own neighborhood. Then there's the neighborhood kid for $5.. it's hard, face to face is the only way to get work!:rolleyes:

Here too! Ads that say "low rate's", "Senior discounts" "All yards $29.99"(average yard 1/2 acre+)
Around here most are not scrubs. Nice trailors/trucks and loads of nice equipment.

Idealtim
05-02-2006, 09:37 PM
I think its to late in the season to get accounts. every body has either signed or does it themselves. The best work comes from other contractors who are overly busy and refer work. MAKE FRIENDS!!!

PGA
05-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I think its to late in the season to get accounts. every body has either signed or does it themselves. The best work comes from other contractors who are overly busy and refer work. MAKE FRIENDS!!!

I get calls all year round.

Something else I do. If I see a house that doesnt look good, near a house I do, and thats serviced by an LCO Ill leave a card on their door with my customers address so they can take a look at the work I do. I landed 4 houses around one house I do within 3 week because of that.

Jeds_Lawn_Care
05-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Dress nice and go door nockin'. Have lots of business cards w, u.

freddyc
05-02-2006, 11:09 PM
If all else fails, locate a relatively large local business, make up some discount cards, and drop them off....such as "5% off seasonal lawn maintenance for United Technologies employees--minimum one year sign on agreement".