PDA

View Full Version : MOER POWER!! - Anyone ever "hot rod" their mower?

elamey
05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
I'm opening the door for some 3rd degree flame...but here goes.

Anyone "hot rod" thier mower? I've got a 2005 60" lazer/z with a 27hp Kohler air cooled. This spring it seems like i'm low on power, the grass is heavy and wet and all that, but it's bogging down. I am mulching and the blades are SHARP, changed every few lawns. Air filter has approx 10 hours on it, Motor is turning at normal speed and the belts seem to be good tension (not too tight, but not loose). It's probably running normally...I probably just need to have a couple of beers and forget about it.

Anyone ever "hot rod" this motor to get more out of it?

Moderator: If this is too stupid of a thread feel free to delete it, my little feelings won't be hurt.:weightlifter:

PS - I wonder if the mule drive could be mated up to a Harley engine. Say 100hp/100tq....

chimmygew
05-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Mulching is the problem. That is why the mower is bogging down on you. You could fine tune the RPM's and I've even heard of people switching out pulley's to increase blade tip speed.

lawnspecialties
05-02-2006, 05:29 PM
I know this is probably a dumb question but I've got to ask. Are you keeping the deck underside clean? A clumped up deck can really kill some power. Those clippings need to go somewhere and wet grass can really mess that up.

rob1325
05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I have a 35 hp scag tiger which I think has to much power.

lawnrangeralaska
05-02-2006, 10:47 PM
I have a 35 hp scag tiger which I think has to much power.

Damn that is a lot of bragging rights right there! Thats twice hp of a normal walk behind!

Olylawnboy
05-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Wow, you've watched "Tool Time" way too much :)

mike lane lawn care
05-03-2006, 08:28 PM
jet engine.
but already, lawn mower engines are designed to be much tougher and higher reving than car engines. lawn mowers work in an environment that is very abusive. My mower has more torq and more features like cruise control and electronic fuel injection, than the family sedan. the point is, you shouldn't modify the engine past the manufacturer's specs.

topsites
05-03-2006, 08:54 PM
What happened to my post lol omg, ok well anyway, why not change over to some synthetic oil and premium unleaded for starters?

thelawnkid
05-04-2006, 02:25 AM
premium will actually hurt you in the power department. How much work are you willing to put into it. My partner and I have a little john deere lawn tractor that we are turning into a sled puller. Its getting a cat diesel same motor the use in the ferris. But we modified the motor. I think it will have 75hp and 200tq. But this one is just for fun, not work.

Budget
05-04-2006, 07:33 AM
I laid the shocks over more in the front on my Ferris, and man that sucker can turn in real good now......

FrankenScagMachines
05-04-2006, 07:53 AM
I have the exact same mower, 05 Lazer 60/27Kohler a/c.....
I always side discharge except in fall I use the UltraVac QDS (quick dump) which is an awesome machine (both of 'em!) I added a tachometer to see what she was revving and factory settings it was turning 3750 no load and it runs 3600 under my typical loads... with bagger maybe 3400 or so. honestly i think its a perfect match of power for the machine I NEVER lack for power no matter what it never bogs down, even bagging i rarely wish it had more power unless i'm on a steep hill with the bagger wish it had a little more torque but really its an perfect match IMO and doesn't seem too hard on fuel either for all the power and productivity you get. Mine has the 3 stage filter like yours. I have 320 hrs on the machine and my filter is STILL clean! I checked it daily last fall in leaf season but it was always clean and white... i can't get over how awesome that air filter system is, i'm crazy about that setup!

I think your power complaints must be due to mulching and heavy growth. If its that bad, buy an OCDC for your mower (Operator Controlled Discharge Chute) and take the mulch kit off for a few weeks till things slow down some. If discharging ONLY use the Exmark Excalibur SOLID LIFT FOIL blades. DO NOT use any other blades ESPECIALLY do NOT use the notched foil blades they are junk I have bent a lot of those they are very weak right there where they notch the air foil out... All my mowers have always gotten an OCDC and I could not live without it. Anytime I've ever used another mower that didn't have one I hated it... but yea i'd try that one. Order the OCDC that you get from Exmark that one is a nice one. I built my own but wouldn't recommend that unless you have light fabrication skills and a welder. Works perfect. love it. Would like to try the mulch kit on this mower I think i'd use it some in slower growth seasons.