PDA

View Full Version : Putting in rock driveway, but really clay e soil

billsfanvt
05-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Quick question, I'm putting in a rock driveway, (using 3/4 inch stone mix) and the costomer asked me if there was anything special that needed to be done because it is really clay e soil. Not sure on this one. was just going to hog out sod put down fabric and lay the stone. Any answer would be helpful thanks

lawnspecialties
05-02-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm putting in a drive for my new equipment shed. I'm no expert on this at all, but most folks and the rock quarry guys told me this:
1:Take about 3-4 inches off the top of the ground.
2:Apply 3-4 inch layer of crush and run and use that for a few months to harden and settle.
3:Apply your preferred stone for the top layer.

I'm about ready for the "preferred stone" layer. My crush and run has been there since winter. It's there to keep the "preferred stone" from seeping into the ground over time. We also have a lot of clay here in NC.

If you're getting your stone from a quarry, check with them. My guys were real helpful and obviously very knowledgeable.:)

sheshovel
05-02-2006, 10:56 PM
I woulden't bother with the fabric for a driveway.

Dirty Water
05-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Your just going to pull sod and lay gravel without shooting and grading your slope?

Your going to have a bumpy drive.

tylermckee
05-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Your just going to pull sod and lay gravel without shooting and grading your slope?

Your going to have a bumpy drive.
I shoot 80% of my work with my eyeball, a simple res. driveway shouldnt really need anything other than a guy with a good eye for grade.