PDA

View Full Version : new edger, any tips on using it!

mcwlandscaping
05-02-2006, 08:24 PM
I bought the edger for my trimmer today, my FS85R. It is the same edger head that is on the FC110 edger. Now, can anyone give me any tips or tricks on how to use a straight shafted stick edger efficiently and to get the best results? Ide really appreciate it

mrbray101
05-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Just keep the edge on the right side of you and go with it. Keep it at full throttle most of the time and it will come easy after a few times practicing. Sometimes I will angle the blade of the edger like < / > instead of straight up when there is heavy growth and then the edge on the grass will look good for longer and get away with every other cut. Good luck with your new purchase, you will be glad you got it im sure.

Dashunde
05-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Avoid using it when the ground is wet... it makes a mess and it doesnt cut through very well.

Take a straight-edged "transfer" shovel and a 5 gallon bucket with you whenever you do a lawn that has not been edged for awhile... otherwise you'll have to pick up the nasty grass snakes by hand.

Buy extra blades - Home Depot usually has the 7" blades with the 1" arbor 2 for around 5 bucks.

mcwlandscaping
05-02-2006, 11:05 PM
thanks guys, good tips thatll ill deffinatly remember, any more are welcome!

LALawnboy
05-03-2006, 02:59 AM
if you're doing a lot of edging (i do) buy the heavy duty blades. they're about twice as thick, and about 50 cents more at my dealer, but damn do they last a whole lot longer. i was going through the regular blades i would buy at home depot/dealer so fast it was killing me. to test and see how the heavy duty blades would do compared to the regulars i'd been buying at home depot, i put a regular on the other morning and did one yard with it and checked out the wear. it had already started to thin out and it hadn't been used heavily. i swapped out the regular and put on the heavy duty and used the heavy duty on four yards and the wear wasn't even that noticeable. so yea, i'll be coughing up the extra 50 cents for the heavier duty blades for now on. they also seemed to cut through the dirt and grass a little better as well. sorry for the long post, i tried to put that in as little words as possible.

joeg2246
05-03-2006, 06:33 AM
I bought the edger for my trimmer today, my FS85R. It is the same edger head that is on the FC110 edger. Now, can anyone give me any tips or tricks on how to use a straight shafted stick edger efficiently and to get the best results? Ide really appreciate it

You would be doing yourself a favor by not trying to stretch the blade to long. A new blade cuts so much better than one that is worn. I get the heavy duty blades for about $1.50 ea and can't see not having a sharp one for that cheap of a price. A dull blade will increase you edging time significantly. I change mine about every 10 to 15 jobs.

wanabe
05-03-2006, 09:31 AM
I have found that they sometimes work best going backwards. I hope your arm is ready for a workout!

lawnboy dan
05-03-2006, 09:39 AM
if you have a lesco near you-this is the cheapest place to get blades. you can get a box of 20 for around 1$ each

hillndale
05-03-2006, 10:35 AM
I have the exact same set up. I know this is way dumb. Which way do you slide the wheel in the slot for greater depth? Away from the front wheel or closer to the front wheel? Also when just cleaning up an edge on an existing bed, I found I still had to go along with a spade or hand edger, sticking it in the groove the "stick edger" made, push the dirt away, into the bed, from the grass. Is that normal? It was quick & slick though.

thanks
hillndale:headphones:

Ramairfreak98ss
05-03-2006, 11:30 AM
I have found that they sometimes work best going backwards. I hope your arm is ready for a workout!

yeah if you have heavy dirt near the sidewalk or your edging it for the first time youll usually need to go forward and then backwards with it, mine chops it up then shoots all the dirt right out the back as i drag it backwards, makes a nice edge then, i rarely have to do this but it works good, i have a 26cc redmax works pretty nice.

also yeah the wet dirt doesnt work great, this thing really is just beating the ground fast not really "digging" so to speak, wet ground doesnt do much.

Dashunde
05-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Just today I lucked out and found a used 5hp Briggs powered push edger to deal with the "first time" edging chores - $30! Some old guy, who is selling his house, had it for sale along with a nasty mower at the end of his driveway. I tried it out at his house before I took it, it seems to run pretty good and ripped right through his old unkept edges.
I had forgotten how well these old types work... lotsa torque.

My Stihl will handle routine maint, but I really dont like hammering on it during a tough job. It wears me out too.

lawnartisan
05-04-2006, 08:05 AM
I have a homeowner husqvarna model. I found wet is no good. And on first timer edges, set the blade very shallow, digging in the dirt for the first time really slows it down. go a little deaper on the next visit. but for maintainece and long concrete edges, you fly through. but once a good edge is established, I still rather use my trimmer so i dont have to walk back to the truck when its time to top corners and go around trees.

S man
05-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I have a homeowner husqvarna model. I found wet is no good. And on first timer edges, set the blade very shallow, digging in the dirt for the first time really slows it down. go a little deaper on the next visit. but for maintainece and long concrete edges, you fly through. but once a good edge is established, I still rather use my trimmer so i dont have to walk back to the truck when its time to top corners and go around trees.

I agree. The trimmer is best on established edges.