PDA

View Full Version : I just sharpened my first lawn mower blade..

Freddy_Kruger
05-02-2006, 07:26 PM
and its not a pretty site. I found it very difficult to use the bench grinder that I boought, the blade is very curvy. Would I be better off clamping it to a table and using an angle grinder?

mcwlandscaping
05-02-2006, 07:34 PM
i use a hand file when i have the time, maybe use that to clean it up.

mrbray101
05-02-2006, 07:43 PM
I use an angle grinder, it is not as easy as a blade sharpener but its much cheaper. Doesnt really take any longer and i feel that it gives a good edge. Just harder to get the same constant angle on the blade.

zim bob the landscaper
05-02-2006, 07:50 PM
i use a elctric drill with a stone on it and sharpen it that way, and if i really want it sharpened iget my dad to use the bench grinder.

mike lane lawn care
05-02-2006, 08:54 PM
i either use my dremel with the blade sharpening attachment. I will most likely take it to my dealer every 5 or so sharpenings to have it done by a pro.

Freddy_Kruger
05-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Well if the blade was perfectly straight I think it would be easier on a bench grinder. I think since I'm so small a lawn care biz I might to the hand file for a while till I get some better info.

Killswitch
05-02-2006, 09:11 PM
i either use my dremel with the blade sharpening attachment. I will most likely take it to my dealer every 5 or so sharpenings to have it done by a pro.

Im not savvy on sharpening them on a bench grinder yet either. I have been a machinist in the past and understand it, and can cut a decent edge but id be embarrassed to take my blades to a shop....they would probably laugh at the job Ive done.

They cut good and dont frey the grass and are balanced.

But they dont look great.

Jnamo
05-02-2006, 09:28 PM
If you sharpen them regularly, use a file. You don't need to remove a ton of material to sharpen them. Using power tools will remove too much metal and cause them to get out of balance if you don't know what you are doing.

Also, you need to follow the angle that is on the blade, using power tools may eliminate the angle quickly (if you don't know what you are doing).

Practice makes perfect:dancing:

Jeff

Roger
05-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Ditto what Jnamo said ... hand file for me too. But, I don't have very many blades to sharpen each week. If I had many, many, then I would think differently.

garth1967
05-03-2006, 10:21 AM
i use a angle grinder .i found it awkward at first but with each time im knocking time down it takes to do it each time

Freddy_Kruger
05-03-2006, 10:44 AM
What kind of plate would you put on an angle grinder?

ptlawnguy
05-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I used to sharpen about 5 blades a day working at a hardware store. Looks do not matter to the grass. straight blades are pretty easy but the curved kind that you find on a lot of push mowers can be tricky. If your blades are somewhat beat, try putting a tiny edge on the underside(I mean tiny) This will help make your leading edge nice and sharp and it does not effect the flow of grass over the blade.

Freddy_Kruger
05-03-2006, 12:26 PM
I used to sharpen about 5 blades a day working at a hardware store. Looks do not matter to the grass. straight blades are pretty easy but the curved kind that you find on a lot of push mowers can be tricky. If your blades are somewhat beat, try putting a tiny edge on the underside(I mean tiny) This will help make your leading edge nice and sharp and it does not effect the flow of grass over the blade.
Ah you see that exactly was my problem. I wanted to shine up the entire part of the blade that leads to the sharp edge. Thats about half inch or so into the blade and since my bench grinder is round it looks like hell. I'm going to buy some atomic blades today.