PDA

View Full Version : "i want you, only you, please come back"

bobbygedd
05-02-2006, 08:30 PM
yup, they all come back. sooner or later, snivling, crawling, begging. i had a customer that i let go early last season. her problem was, that she didn't think she should pay a surcharge for branches + debris, that fell after the spring cleanup. then she threatened me with, " hey, you charge $35, i had the guy who cuts the lawn down the street, approach me, and say he'd do it for $25." so, i very politely, just stopped showing up, and ignoring her phone calls. after all, she was paid in full. this is the call i got yesterday, " i'm sorry, if i was out of line last year, when u stopped showing up, i started using another guy, he was cheaper, but my lawn is now a disaster. please, please come back. i want you, nobody else, just you." so, i'm thinking, i'll charge her a reinstatement surcharge, a high growth fee, and get started this week. i havn't let her know yet, i figure i'll let her sweat it out for awhile. it's nice to be able to pick + choose. would u take her back?

mulcahy mowing
05-02-2006, 08:36 PM
make sure you make good $$ on that deal...

Richard Martin
05-02-2006, 08:51 PM
No, I would not take the customer back. I have a policy that goes something like "Once you get off the bus there is no getting back on". I am only interested in long term customers. This customer has already proven that they are willing to bolt for the first lowballer that comes along and they will do it again.

grassmanvt
05-02-2006, 09:33 PM
yup, they all come back. sooner or later, snivling, crawling, begging. i had a customer that i let go early last season. her problem was, that she didn't think she should pay a surcharge for branches + debris, that fell after the spring cleanup. then she threatened me with, " hey, you charge $35, i had the guy who cuts the lawn down the street, approach me, and say he'd do it for $25." so, i very politely, just stopped showing up, and ignoring her phone calls. after all, she was paid in full. this is the call i got yesterday, " i'm sorry, if i was out of line last year, when u stopped showing up, i started using another guy, he was cheaper, but my lawn is now a disaster. please, please come back. i want you, nobody else, just you." so, i'm thinking, i'll charge her a reinstatement surcharge, a high growth fee, and get started this week. i havn't let her know yet, i figure i'll let her sweat it out for awhile. it's nice to be able to pick + choose. would u take her back?

Yes, money heals most wounds.

Dashunde
05-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Take her back... it sounds as if she has learned her lesson.
Dont take too long either... she might give up quicker than you think.

Dont bash her with silly charges... just take the work and if she fusses again drop her for the last time.

Mickhippy
05-03-2006, 04:07 AM
Take her back no worries! Dont go overboard with extra fees etc!
As said earlier, she learnt her lesson, and will probably end up being your most loyal customers! Loyalty isnt something to be sneezed at!

topsites
05-03-2006, 06:25 AM
No, I would not take the customer back. I have a policy that goes something like "Once you get off the bus there is no getting back on". I am only interested in long term customers. This customer has already proven that they are willing to bolt for the first lowballer that comes along and they will do it again.

Me either, my policy is kinda like 'once things deteriorate to a point it never gets better' but it doesn't quite sum it up, all I know is a couple of times I have tried to let one back in who got out due to some problem and sure enough it never took more than one or two visits before I knew EXACTLY why I had let them go in the first place.

I've had one who begged more than once, and one time I couldn't quite remember what the big deal was all about way back when (it had been over a year) but sure enough the very first time out I got so angry, not so much because I could clearly see why I had let him go (that too) but because sure as the sun rises in the morning, dude was back up to his old tricks. About the only difference is some start hiding it better but that only makes it worse.

Save yourself the frustration is what I always say nowadays because whatever it was that ticked you off way back when, they will do it again some kind of way, guaranteed.

garth1967
05-03-2006, 09:37 AM
fantastic bob.i know the kind of customer you are talking about and yes they do come back especially when they take on a mow joe.its up to you how you wish to charge her.i would charge a little bit extra first up simply because the mow joe probably did a bad job over time and didnt do those extra things you were doing .after that chanrge her as would anybody else.its your business bob

dKoester
05-03-2006, 03:28 PM
I'd get back on the bus but with higher rates.

knoma
05-03-2006, 05:04 PM
As expected from BG, the fictional customer challenges him on ONE issue....and he cuts her off, refills her slot with 5 more customers, and bills the livin' heck out of her when she returns........yeah. with 10,000 post when does he have time to get all these colorful customers....lets keep it real please people. I might put my .02 in on the fact that she tried another service and then tossed them out for poor work, I say great for the original provider.! get back in their at a fair price, repair the damage and maintain a now LOYAL account. but that is just me in the real world.

YardPro
05-03-2006, 07:29 PM
lol

bobby should become a fiction writer

Pecker
05-03-2006, 07:51 PM
i havn't let her know yet, i figure i'll let her sweat it out for awhile. it's nice to be able to pick + choose. would u take her back?

Don't bother. . .I just signed her up on a contract while you were letting her sweat. . .:hammerhead:

Rhett
05-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Have one just like that. Everytime she cancels me and calls me back I raise her 5 bucks. Told her this year that if it happens again I have no more room in the schedule as I turn away work all the time. Even gave her a card for a guy the may be a little cheaper. At this point wish she would just go away.

bobbygedd
05-03-2006, 08:33 PM
As expected from BG, the fictional customer challenges him on ONE issue....and he cuts her off, refills her slot with 5 more customers, and bills the livin' heck out of her when she returns........yeah. with 10,000 post when does he have time to get all these colorful customers....lets keep it real please people. I might put my .02 in on the fact that she tried another service and then tossed them out for poor work, I say great for the original provider.! get back in their at a fair price, repair the damage and maintain a now LOYAL account. but that is just me in the real world.
"challenges me?" wtf is that? she didn't "challenge " anything. she tried to run my business. i wouldn't let her. in the end, i win....every time

garth1967
05-04-2006, 08:40 AM

mate ,read the first part of your post .dude who wouldnt do that .replace a PITA with 5 others.i dont know if you are in the real world but you are definitely in another.