PDA

View Full Version : yet another pita bites the dust or why I collect taxes

yrdandgardenhandyman
05-02-2006, 09:22 PM
I just had a client that insisted I cut on Friday even though it was raining. I also was trying to stay on schedule. I still skipped a few till next Friday. Anyway, the clippings were a bit clumped. I double cut so the clumps that were left were about the size of a golf ball and there were about 50 of these clumps on this acre lot. She raised cain and when I explained that those clumps would melt into the lawn by tomorrow because of the expected rainfall she said that she doesn't care what it'll look like tomorrow. She's only concerned about the present. I took my blower, walked the entire lawn blasting those little "golf balls" to dust.
Then, last night she called saying she got my bill. (She was a new client as of Apr 1, 2006) She thought I had a lot of nerve 'charging' her Ia sales tax.
After all none of the other 6 lawn guys she's had in the last 2 years charged it. I attempted to explain that I was, by law, required to 'collect' sales tax and that anyone who wasn't was illegally in business. I also told her that she had a lot of nerve to suggest to me that I should help her evade legal taxes. Then I told her to find #7. Felt good too.

yrdandgardenhandyman
06-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Then, last night she called saying she got my bill. (She was a new client as of Apr 1, 2006) She thought I had a lot of nerve 'charging' her Ia sales tax.
After all none of the other 6 lawn guys she's had in the last 2 years charged it. I attempted to explain that I was, by law, required to 'collect' sales tax and that anyone who wasn't was illegally in business. I also told her that she had a lot of nerve to suggest to me that I should help her evade legal taxes. Then I told her to find #7. Felt good too.

This client just fired another LCO. I have 3 accounts just up the street from her. As I drive by, I see a man and his son mowing. He's got a pretty nice JD ztr with a bagger bin. He was bagging the entire lawn. He ended up with a full 8' pu box of clippings from this one yard. He also was scalping the crap out of the lawn. I talked to him the other day and he is.... err was doing it for $5.00 less than I was and I wasn't bagging. wasn't necessary most of the time. He also said he tried to collect sales tax from her, she bucked and he caved. Now she's looking for another "scalper" to do her lawn. Never seems to run out of retired farmers turned lco around here.
Why do people spend $30,000 on equipment and then underprice so badly they can't afford to do the work?

kc2006
06-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Why do people spend $30,000 on equipment and then underprice so badly they can't afford to do the work?

Because what other expenses do you have except a few bucks in gas and that equipment bill? People jump in this business because they think after they buy the equipment and pay for gas that they're done, they forget they have (or should have) insurance, maintenance one equipment, price of sending bills, office supplies, advertising costs, taxes (the big one), plus many other expenses. People just don't see it though, and when they realize that they did a whole year of hard work and didn't bring any money home...they get out. Then you have another batch.

David Haggerty
06-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I dunno....why LCO's sell themselves short.

Liked your story. But did you bill her extra for the extra handling and labor?
I had one similar to that. Billed a total of $90 for 1 cut. The bill's still out. Hey, if I do the work, I bill 'em.
Now if they don't pay....then they're the deadbeat bill payers.
Courts uphold this too. If you do the work you're entitled to get paid.
I know I sure do.

Dave

rodfather
06-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Then I told her to find #7. Felt good too.

You mean #8 I think.:)