PDA

View Full Version : money vs pita

dcgreenspro
05-02-2006, 10:58 PM
My wife takes a call about a guy wanting an estimate for lawncare. She calls and tells me to stop by on my way home (installed 15 yards of mulch by myself and i am head to toe in sweat and black dye). i said fine and go over to meet him. I pull up and wait bacause no one is home. guy pulls up in a jag with the words MAGNUS on his licensce plate. out steps this guy who is about 5 ft tall! I chuckled to myself and i know this guy is gonna break balls. he wants an estimate for spreading four yards of mulch and double cutting his lawn. no prob.
As i am looking at the mulch, it dawns on me that this is fresh. Edges done, everything pruned, etc. I ask why he wants more and here is where the real fun starts. he tells me that the last com. didn't spread it evenly enough, the edges on the beds weren't straight enough. you get the picture. He then asks if i can do it this sat. so he can be home and WATCH me install and level the mulch and double cut his lawn. So, he finishes by telling me that money is no object, so i say 400. He doesn't bat an eye. tells me if he likes the work, i can take care of his lawn for the rest of the summer.
Now i really don't want to do this job at all but the wife is beating:hammerhead: my ears in and she really wants me to pick up the client. what would you guys do?
p.s. sorry for being a little long:dancing:

Sharp Services
05-02-2006, 11:07 PM
I have found it is always better to keep the little lady happy. If momma ain't happy ... no bodies happy.

One question ... if on Saturday he does not like the job do you still get paid? If not then run ... and get the wife some flowers! :confused:

dcgreenspro
05-02-2006, 11:09 PM
yes, i made that very clear that upon completion, he will pay.

Lynden-Jeff
05-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Hi,

I would do it just don't let him change his mind. If hes there I would ask for his input every so often so you don't do it and then have him say its all wrong. If he does change his mind over and over just till him this is the last way your doing it or he will be charged an additional fee.

Cheers!

Jeff

K.Carothers
05-03-2006, 12:07 AM
I would schedule the job where it fits into the schedule next. I don't give a rats behind if this man wants to "watch" or should I say"father" you.

If you need the money, do it. If not, don't waste your time. I see red flags with this one.

He sounds like a Mr. Knowitall.

kc

dkeisala
05-03-2006, 12:24 AM
run like the wind...or don't but don't re-post about what a nightmare the job turned out to be because shorty was there directing your every move.

topsites
05-03-2006, 12:26 AM
yes, i made that very clear that upon completion, he will pay.

Good, I think.

Next time, quote 800 upfront or just run and fast.
(but it's hard to do, I say quote high then I can't do it myself lol... but run, that I can do even after I've agreed)

I've dealt with this and other kinds who want to help or watch before. Watching I can handle, supervising or helping is something that nowadays the only folks allowed to do it are my parents because the problem is, it always takes at least twice as long when they help or supervise (hence why I said quote 800). But then even when you quote 800, now it will take 4 or 8 times longer, so it's the problem that you can not throw enough money at!!

That's been my experience, so no supervising or helping allowed.