PDA

View Full Version : Broke my dump trailer

CutRight
05-02-2006, 11:46 PM
well we're friendly with all the guys at the local pit where we get our materials, so they think theyre doing me a favor when they overload my dump trailer and call it "Saturday Morning Special" yea i pay barely anything for the huge load, and i didnt mind it until this past saturday.

went to dump the load of topsoil at the jobsite. Crash Bang! haha something like, maybe it was Bang Crash!.

Well anyways, the load was too heavy for the frame. hydraulic piston popped the welded bracket right off and dimpled the frame.

So then i had to unload 7 yards of topsoil with a shovel by hand, wasn't too bad. Just got used to being lazy and dumping it and moving it with the tractor.

So then the bed wouldnt go down..... we had to very carefully take apart the piston without smashing our skulls under the dump body.

quick saturday morning job turned into an all day affair.

the trailer is so old it might not really be worth it to repair it. looks like it might be an excuse to buy something new. yes!

mcwlandscaping
05-03-2006, 12:06 AM
well that sucks, but new stuff is always fun.....can you show some pics of the busted one?? ide like to see it

G.M.Landscaping
05-03-2006, 12:17 AM
7 Tons on a dump trailer? What's your trailer rated for?

Scag48
05-03-2006, 12:19 AM
7 Tons on a dump trailer? What's your trailer rated for?

Kinda what I was thinking. Ours is rated for 12K, with the weight of the trailer I try not to put more than 4.5 yards in it, but I have done 5.

treemeat
05-03-2006, 12:40 AM
he said 7 yards--

21,000 pounds ! ? ! ?

Scag48
05-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Topsoil is around 2,000 pounds (1 ton) a cubic yard.

FearThisDeere
05-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Yeah, my 6x10 is only rated for 12k, but he could have one of those nice goosenecks or something?

Scag48
05-03-2006, 03:58 PM
It's possible, I've seen gooseneck dump trailers rated for 18K. That's alot of trailer, at times I wish we had something like that for our landscaping division.

zim bob the landscaper
05-03-2006, 04:25 PM
wow thats crazy man sux for the trialer and u. o well new stuff is always better so atleast it wont break when u have a huge job or somthing. well if i were u id tell them not to put in more than the rate if u get it fixed.

murray83
05-04-2006, 08:37 PM
just cuz its new doesn't mean it won't break....

most dump trailers are cheaply welded,tack welds and the odd quick zap with the mig and thats all.

overloading your trailer doesn't impress your local DOT either,gotta love them fines :rolleyes:

CutRight
05-04-2006, 11:45 PM
no it was definatly over-loaded massively. there was prolly 5 1/2-6 yards of topsoil in the trailer at the time...so yea 7 tons.. its only a 10,100 # GVWR trailer. its prolly around 6 years old. we bought it when we put a new roof on a house rather than renting a dumpster...so we would end up with a new piece of equipment after....

since they we proceeded to beat the christ out of it. definatly got my moneys worth out of it....

...actually. when we bought it, my dad wanted only a 10 footer, but the dealer backed his truck up to a 12 footer by accident, so we got it for a cheap price too.

im going to take it down to my friends shop and cut out a piece of the frame, weld up a new steel tube and bracket, its not worth it to spend too much money on fixing it. I'm maybe looking at buying a 1 ton pickup instead. or also.

already have a bigger dump truck, but i just want something easy to load over the sides.

oh well