PDA

View Full Version : Want to start new business

LawnmowerMan80
05-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Hello everyone...My name is Tony. I'm 25 and live on Long Island. I've been wanting to start my own REAL landscape maintenance business since I was 13 cutting my neighboors lawns for at that time $15.00 a pop. I am currently working a 9-5 5 days a week but would like to employ the use of my days off to start my business. One question I pose to you all is, do you see it to be logical to purchase brand new equipment right now? I just got a quote from one of the local power equipment shops for $3400.00. This will get me a Toro 32" walk behind, RedMax 7001 blower and a RedMax 2300 Trimmer. I am one of those people that believe in having what is needed from the get go. Please tell me if I act in haste and what other avenues you would pursue as far as equipment if you were me. Thank you so much for your time and experience.

Tony

Lynden-Jeff
05-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Hi,

I'm in the same boat. I just registered my company today. I have talked to 2 dealers so far and I'm pretty sure i'm going to go with echo trimmers and blowers. Ive decided this because here in Ontario 2400 red max trimmers are $479 where echo trimmers are below $300 for a SRM-251. I was also told its far easier to get parts for echo in Canada then for red max. Now for me starting out I'm sure echo will be fine but I guess ill find out. Good luck!

Jeff

alyssa
05-03-2006, 02:24 PM
I am not quite as far along, still in the research phase. I got lucky and fell into a used mower at a great price. I guess it depends on what there is out there. Good luck guys!

Where in Long Island are you? I am from East Islip/Bayshore area.

BERTPCP
05-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Tony, I am 25 as well and live in upstate N.Y.(dutchess county) I started my business last year, while I was working a 9-5 40hr. week job. I fortunately had some money to start me with $15,000. I bought a husky 48" ztr leftover $5,800...Stihl trimmer, stihl blower, and a 14' by 7' Haulmark enclosed trailer $6,000(no garage space need the trailer as storage also)...I put out flyers and advertised for about 2 weeks before I pulled my ad because I had too much work and having a hard time doing both jobs.. I finally went part time in the end of the summer and worked full time landscaping..I became overwhelmed during fall cleanups and quit my job altogether did cleanups and bought a plow for my truck and picked up some plow contracts for the winter....(slow winter but it got me by) Now I Landscape full time, advertise, and I am busy every day!!! Everyone told me not to quit my job that landscaping is a part time job...But now I am making twice as much as I was working 9-5 and I love my job!! Sorry for the long story, but what I am saying is go for it!!! That sounds like a good deal on the equip. 32" mower is perfect to start out with in Long Island(Small yards, some fenced in) I would not spend too much until you try it and you are sure you want to do it!!

Joey bag a' donuts
05-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi,

I'm in the same boat. I just registered my company today. I have talked to 2 dealers so far and I'm pretty sure i'm going to go with echo trimmers and blowers. Ive decided this because here in Ontario 2400 red max trimmers are $479 where echo trimmers are below $300 for a SRM-251. I was also told its far easier to get parts for echo in Canada then for red max. Now for me starting out I'm sure echo will be fine but I guess ill find out. Good luck!

Jeff

I like echo, I have a lot of echo equipment and it works great. good luck to ya.

eyes&earsopen
05-04-2006, 02:28 AM
That 32" is a good move. I went with a 36" and I've had my share of gates I can and can't get through. When you got bills to pay though you can't have that "I don't take any gated yards" stance. Like Bertpcp said make sure you like doing this, because the first time I had to pull out that 21" pushmower I realized that this is still work. I am into lifting weights so I kind of use the yards I push mow for cardio - at least that's what I tell myself.

Back to my point - that 32" might be the best size to start out with. I've even got one yard that my buddy can get in the gate with his 36" JD, but I can't get my tires through on my w/b. It can be frustrating not having the right tools/machines, but you gotta make due.

MowForLess
05-11-2006, 01:54 PM
I am a big fan of Shindaiwa products. They are reliable and have enough parts and accessories available in my area that I would put my name next to them proudly. Now my Swisher Z-Max 60" ZTR, well, it runs and cuts.

nekos
05-11-2006, 02:57 PM
JMHO if you truly beleive you want to get into this business ... go for it.

might want to check out gravely pro 1334 , it fit's in all the gated yards i do and has surpassed all my expectations for this mower !

boxsky
05-11-2006, 03:25 PM
I started my business this year also, so kinda of in the same boat. I bought a Ariens ZTR 52" left over model(no longer make commerical, gravely took that part) with a 6 month 0% charge. Bought Echo equipment. So far I'm up to 8 clients and getting calls still. Lots of competition in my area but I hear the same story alot. Guy never shows up on time / day, don't have any communication with client, don't seem to care.
I have not marketed very well, did about 1000 mailbox type flyers. I have been slow to market because I'm selling another business I own. Just not enought time to run both.
My neighbor kid works 4 days a week with push mower and makes about 400 a week cash. These type of operators hurt the bigger guy but it also works in my favor. I'm insured they are not. I have good equipment they do not and i don't want the jobs they have and they can't handle mine. But they do refer to me and I do the same for the legitmate ones.

Good luck