PDA

View Full Version : Walker GHS Mowers

Mack77
05-03-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey guys...

The Good News: I have a chance to pick up two Walker GHS mowers 26HP Kohler's for free. Both different years, (Don't know exact years as of now)

The Bad News: Both naturally have problems! One needs a new bottom end of the engine, and the other needs a new starter. I was thinking of taking the starter off one mower and putting it on the other. The man who is getting rid of these mowers said that the dealer wants $300 for a starter and $500 for labor. For those who are familiar with the walkers, are they that tough to work on?

Thanks!

Fantasy Lawns
05-03-2006, 03:45 PM
The Starter sounds bout right .... I believe he may have to pull the engine .... had one on a reg fuel 25 HP the starter was like $170 n labor was 3 hrs or $150 ... but that was 3 years ago

I can tell you that a replacement 26 efi Kohler gonna run $2400 without labor ... the correct speck # is PA78528 ..... I wish the 515 from small engine wharehouse would fit as it's $1700

Mowingman
05-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Starter price is ok, but labor sounds about $200.00 too high. We did one at our shop and I believe it took 4.5 hours or so. The engine does have to be removed, or at least repositioned to get at that starter.
Maybe your dealer charges $100.00/hr? I know everything is a lot more expensive in your part of the country.

Mack77
05-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the replies!:waving:

Is replacing the starter a job one can do themselves? Or is it highly recommended that the dealer take care of this problem.

Also, are there any good Walker Dealers in Central NJ?

GrassFearsMe
05-03-2006, 06:36 PM
its 800 bucks to get a whole working 26hp walker. who cares if the labor is too high, christ i'd pay a $1000 to get a working walker and a parts machine. thats a steal imo. btw they are difficult to work only b/c its very tight underneath and there may be some complicated electronic components if its an efi. Y uncle is quite mechanically inclined and he doesn't futs with our walkers. you really have nothing to lose if your getting them free, but free up some time to work on them.

MysticLandscape
05-03-2006, 06:40 PM
If you dont get them let me know i could use a back-up machine...

Brianslawn
05-03-2006, 07:28 PM
about 3.5 hrs for me to pull engine and swap starters. 2.5 on non efi walker. on the one with bad engine, you can rebuild it for as little as $200 if you do it yourself. its really not that hard. if you rebuild it, switch it to carb. you have to do a bit of parts swaping, but it can be done. fewer probs without the puter and you only loose about one hp.

thelawnkid
05-04-2006, 03:31 AM
you wanna sell one of them

Mack77
05-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Correction on the walker mowers...:hammerhead:

I just spoke with the man who is getting rid of these mowers today and he informed me that they are both 20HP machines instead of the 26HP. What i've collected thus far is that the 26HP Kohler EFI engines are a nightmare to work on. Are the 20 Horse machines a little easier to work with? Still the same problems, one's a bad starter, and the other's a faulty bottom end.

Thanks!

Mowingman
05-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Same problem on the starter change out, but much simplier engine to repair due to less electrical stuff

gene gls
05-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Correction on the walker mowers...:hammerhead:

I just spoke with the man who is getting rid of these mowers today and he informed me that they are both 20HP machines instead of the 26HP. What i've collected thus far is that the 26HP Kohler EFI engines are a nightmare to work on. Are the 20 Horse machines a little easier to work with? Still the same problems, one's a bad starter, and the other's a faulty bottom end.

Thanks!

I have a rebuilt starter from my old (1997) 20 HP Kohler if your interested. I put in a new engin last year and it has a different starter.

kels
05-07-2006, 11:45 PM
you do not have to remove the engine to put in a starter. I have replaced 2 of them in mine. You can remove the blower and change it out.

Mack77
05-07-2006, 11:57 PM
No engine removal! Great news!

Thankyou:)

Brianslawn
05-08-2006, 12:05 AM
you do not have to remove the engine to put in a starter. I have replaced 2 of them in mine. You can remove the blower and change it out.

i can yank the engine quicker than the blower. might be a good idea to just pull the engine and remove the housing and clean everything off real good.

Mack77
05-08-2006, 12:30 AM
How long did it take you to change the starter? Whether it be remove the engine or blower... Also, are there any service manual's avaliable for download online that someone may know about?

lawnrangeralaska
05-08-2006, 01:58 AM
How long did it take you to change the starter? Whether it be remove the engine or blower... Also, are there any service manual's avaliable for download online that someone may know about?

you can buy those from your dealer or online off of ebay

Mack77
05-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Well i picked up the Walker today...It's a 1999 model with 2200 hours on it. 20 HP in OK condition. I tried to start the machine, but would not turn over- it is definatally the starter that is the problem.

Before I begin investing any money or time into this project, how long are 20 HP 'Kohler on Command" engines expected to last? I'm going to do a visual check of the whole engine, belts, tighten up any loose connections, replace wires, etc. Is there anything else I could do to spruce up this Walker so I can get as much life out of the engine as possible?

Thanks!!

Brianslawn
05-11-2006, 01:44 AM
kohler engines website has free repair/rebuild manuals for download.

Brianslawn
05-11-2006, 01:47 AM
Well i picked up the Walker today...It's a 1999 model with 2200 hours on it. 20 HP in OK condition. I tried to start the machine, but would not turn over- it is definatally the starter that is the problem.

Before I begin investing any money or time into this project, how long are 20 HP 'Kohler on Command" engines expected to last? I'm going to do a visual check of the whole engine, belts, tighten up any loose connections, replace wires, etc. Is there anything else I could do to spruce up this Walker so I can get as much life out of the engine as possible?

Thanks!!

ive heard about 2000 hrs. ive rebuilt a couple 18s with fewer hours. just depends how hard they were run, etc. rebuild is easy and about $150 if you do it yourself.

Mack77
05-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Walker Update:

Well I went to go get the Mower a few weeks ago, and quickly began work on it. The engine came out (Which wasn't that bad of a job) But I did take the gas tank out, which took longer than the whole project! Had the starter repaired by a local small engine repair shop, put it all back together and it started right up. The engine has 2200 Hours on it and seems to run well. (The Walker was heavily used commercially and perhaps some of the crew left the key on over night or on during weekends and let the hour meter run)

Everything works well except one thing! When I go to put the mower in gear, whether it be forward/reverse all you hear is gears spinning. Not like a grinding or horrible sound, but it just sounds like something is not catching. It's also a very faint sound. I'll turn the throttle up all the way, and there will be this faint sound. The machine has been stored outside for a , while and I am not sure how long it's been sitting. There could be some rust or 'stuck' parts for the motors that I do not know about.

The deck is off the Walker right now, so I was able to jack up the front and get the two drive wheels off the ground, put the machine in gear, and the wheels moved. Extremely slow with no power. Maybe this is an easy fix? I'm not sure yet. I've been toying with it all morning, but thought i'd post to see if anyone's been down this path before.

Mack77
05-19-2006, 03:05 PM
IT LIVES! I've spend a few hours toying with the Walker today since of the rain, and it seems that the wheel motors were in neutral! DUH!

Anyway, thanks to all who helped in this process! :waving: